fastfat.sys file is missing or corrupted

When I was trying to install Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 I kept on getting this error over and over again.

The error was:

fastfat.sys file is corrupted or missing.

Setup cannot continue with the installation.

I tried everything i could think of.

I changed DVD Drives, hard drives, IDE cables. Reset the BIOS system about 5 times. tried the hard drive and dvd drive on my system to see if they work and yes they both do.

I also tested the CD in VMware to see if it was the disc that was broken. But when I installed it on VMware it worked fine.

So then i was left thinking of what to do next.

So i pulled out one of RAM i had in the system. (I had 2 sticks 1x 512MB and 1x 256MB) i pulled out the 512MB first and turned the system on. still the same thing.

So i put the 512MB back in and took out the 256MB out and it worked fine. So just to make sure it was the RAM i put it back in and i got that error again.

So if you get an error like that then try the RAM first before doing the long things i done to find out it was a RAM problem.

Hopes this helps someone in the future.

Thanks,

here's what Microsoft says about this:

Make sure that the RAM in your computer is not damaged and is installed correctly:

Warning

In the following procedure, you will remove RAM from your computer. Do not complete this procedure unless you are very familiar with the correct precautions to use when you remove internal computer hardware components. The internal components of some computers may be damaged by static electricity discharge, use of too much force for removal or insertion, or the use of inappropriate tools.

Turn off your computer.

Remove the memory modules that are installed in your computer, but leave enough RAM for your computer to start and run Windows.

System requirements for Microsoft Windows 2000 operating systems

Start your computer. If you still receive the error message that is described in the "Symptoms" section of this article, remove a different memory module. You may have to restart your computer several times to identify the specific memory module that is not working correctly.

If you determine that one or more memory modules are damaged, replace the damaged RAM, and then test to determine if the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved, do not complete the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved or you determine that none of your memory modules are damaged, go to step 2.

Important If your computer is using the NTFS file system, you cannot use the following procedure to expand the Fastfat.sys file. Instead, you must create a parallel installation of Windows 2000.

HOW TO: Perform a Parallel Installation of Windows 2000

Start your computer by using a startup disk that contains drivers for your CD-ROM drive. For example, you can use a startup disk from a computer that is running Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition.

At the command prompt, type cd c:\winnt\system32\drivers, and then press ENTER.

Type dir fastfat.sys, and then press ENTER. If you receive a "File not found" message, go to step 6. If you do not receive a "File not found" message, go to the next step.

Type ren fastfat.sys fastfat.old, and then press ENTER.

Type CD-ROM drive letter:, and then press ENTER.

Type cd i386, and then press ENTER.

Type expand.exe fastfat.sy_ c:\winnt\system32\drivers\fastfat.sys, and then press ENTER.

Type c:, and then press ENTER.

Restart your computer.