Vista OEM or RETAIL?

xjch18

Yes oem has no MS support included and no manuals or box i think....altho box i shudnt put too high on proiorites hehe.

THe upgrade version allows u to do a clean install i think (well xp did) but u must ptove u have a previous version by inserting a disk or something.

Go for OEM unless u need support.

• 4 weeks later...
i have OEM and have activated it once

yet to try a second time, will be interesting to see if doesnt work

might have to re-load it every 30 days then

Hey glenis check this out... vLite (its nLite for Vista)

You can remove a whole bunch of crap from your DVD... Enough to make it fit onto a regular 700 Meg CD

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

:thumbsup_anim: You dont need to buy oem. You can download it from *** in simple search typing windows vista oem or without oem.If you have fast internet conection,you can have oem vista from *** with ****

• 1 month later...
the oem licence will be tied to your machine, whereas the rtm to u as the person. take this factor into consideration too.

So does this mean that if I decide to build a new computer later down the road, the current key wouldn't work on a new machine, thus having to buy another copy of Vista OEM?

Thanks in advance :)

So does this mean that if I decide to build a new computer later down the road, the current key wouldn't work on a new machine, thus having to buy another copy of Vista OEM?

Thanks in advance :)

Somewhat true, Windows Vista uses an algorithm to determine when changes to hardware are significant enough in nature to require re-activation. The algorithm used by Windows Vista is more flexible than that used by Windows XP, but each component change has an impact and adds up until you reach a pre-determined limit.

The Windows Vista re-activation process may vary based on how you acquired Windows Vista. For example:

* If you acquired Windows Vista via retail purchase (boxed product) or pre-installed on a computer from a local computer vendor, Windows Vista will require re-activation if you, for example:

o Replace the hard disk drive and memory at the same time.

o Replace the motherboard.

* If you acquired Windows Vista pre-installed on a computer from a major manufacturer (sometimes referred to as an Original Equipment Manufacturer or OEM), Windows Vista will require re-activation if you replace the motherboard with a motherboard not provided by the OEM.

Hope that helps :)

• 5 weeks later...

As others have said about OEM copies, if you buy it off the shelf it is a once use only. As in once you have installed it and activated the copy it cannot be reactivated again and if you change a major part of your system, vista will deactivate and you will be forced to either buy a new copy or licence!

OEM pre installed version, this version can only be got if you have bought a computer from a company such as dell who pre install it at the factory prior to delivery.

How the manufacturer does this is they put a licence key table known as a SLIC Table into its bios on the motherboard, so that every time you reinstall using the recovery cd/partition it installs the corresponding licence key files onto the system drive to match up with the bios. That then activates vista permanently without having to contact Microsoft.

Obviously if you change the motherboard in this system you will no longer have the slic table and your copy of vista is useless unless you get another licence key!

Upgrade, probably the best option as it is technically a retail copy that only lets you upgrade Via the licence key.

You can upgrade to all the versions (Business not included) from XP Home edition.

But if you are using Xp Professional you can only upgrade to Vista business!

I personally have an upgrade version of Home Premium that I have activated more than twice with no problems. :D

Finally Retail, this copy is the most expensive opition which can cost double what the upgrade costs just to let you install from scratch!

If you have lots of money or you can get it for free this is the ultimate option (no pun intended).

Hope this helps ;):D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
the oem licence will be tied to your machine, whereas the rtm to u as the person. take this factor into consideration too.

Well. OEM Licence IS NOT tied to ONE machine. Ive had one machicne with Vista Home Preamium SP1 (i have bought it separetly) and recently (2 weeks or so) bought completley new machine, i mean not a single part left from my old one. And i have read this similar stuff before. Since i didnt sell my Vista, i thought what the hell. And gues what, after installing SAME OEM Vista Home Premium SP1 on absolutely DIFFERENT machine, i PASSED Activation in like 3 secs. :icon_cool:

Well. OEM Licence IS NOT tied to ONE machine. Ive had one machicne with Vista Home Preamium SP1 (i have bought it separetly) and recently (2 weeks or so) bought completley new machine, i mean not a single part left from my old one. And i have read this similar stuff before. Since i didnt sell my Vista, i thought what the hell. And gues what, after installing SAME OEM Vista Home Premium SP1 on absolutely DIFFERENT machine, i PASSED Activation in like 3 secs. :icon_cool:

True, I think you can do this once or twice in case you change your machine. If I remember correctly that I've read this somewhere before..