Silent PC Case

NIM

hey guys,

I need the advice on my new PC chassis which I plan to buy.

I am currently using Thermaltake Kandalf and it is a bit too loud for me, although it has very good cooling features and cool looks, so I would sell it and by something else.

- I need a chassis to be as silent as possible.

- Simple look, nothing shinny, flashy, colorful or gamer one

- Not to be too expensive.

Actually, I need something like this http://www.bjorn3d.c...ad.php?cID=1117

I really like this Tagan chassis, but unfortunately it isn't available in my country.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

ALL cases are silent!

It's the fans and components that are not. ;)

If you like your current case, I would suggest disconnecting each fan (or disconnect them all and reconnect one at a time) until you find the loudest one. Then replace it with a more suitable one.

I'd recommend visiting SilentPCReview since they have many recommended components (case, PSU, HDD, fans, etc.) and their testing methods are untainted by advertisers.

I've learned much from them and my own (now long sold) silent PC is linked in their forums.

My new PC makes less noise than my daughter's fish tank on the same table! :D

The most important aspect of a case (other than can it hold all your stuff) is airflow. A case that does not have enough airflow is like asking a runner to run a race with a sock in their mouth.

Larger fans can push more air at lower speed so are quieter. Fan grill design is also important to minimize airflow turbulence which causes noise.

Tidying your cables can increase airflow efficiency within the case. You can also try building ductwork from cardboard to control the direction and flow of the air through the case. I did this with my Antec P180 (love it) so I don't have to have a fan on my CPU cooler, it's just ducted to the top/back case fans.

Isolating vibration-causing components from the case (HDD/ODD) with rubber grommets can keep the metal case itself from resonating.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

I currently run my hardware from a CoolerMaster Cosmos case. Equipped with a few very silent intake and outtake fans. It's one of the most silent configurations I've ever built. The standard Cosmos already comes with fans, and provides an excellent airflow.

I currently run my hardware from a CoolerMaster Cosmos case. Equipped with a few very silent intake and outtake fans. It's one of the most silent configurations I've ever built. The standard Cosmos already comes with fans, and provides an excellent airflow.

Seller who I've asked for Tagan case, said that he recommends Coolermaster Cosmos, although I don't like the look of it. Besides, it costs $400 here!

What do you guys think about Antec Skeleton. It looks cool and apparently it is very quiet, yet very expensive.

http://www.tomshardw...on-torture-rack,2411-2.html

I guess you need to have the can of compressed air for everyday use to clean this baby

Reviewer also said that EMF is a minus, since it is an open case. :)

I see that beast every time I go to MicroCenter. LOL.

It is to wide though. I would loose a lot of space with it.

I might just sell my PC as I got a pretty decent laptop from my company (Lenovo T500)

I can buy port replicator for it and use it easily at home and at work.

What do you guys think about Antec Skeleton. It looks cool and apparently it is very quiet, yet very expensive.

http://www.tomshardw...on-torture-rack,2411-2.html

I guess you need to have the can of compressed air for everyday use to clean this baby

Reviewer also said that EMF is a minus, since it is an open case. :)

don't like it b/c of major dust issues. those are more for component testing purposes, not long term builds

antec makes good products. so does lian-li

have you considered a water cooling setup? :)

Haven't thought about it since it is very expensive, especially here in Croatia.

To be honest, I have never heard about Lian-Li, but now I've googled and I can tell you I would surely like the PC-A71F model. This is the case I am looking for, but unfortunately Lian-Li isn't available in Croatia.

http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/flashpage/a70f&a71f/

One of my friend has recommended this one to me:

http://tech-reviews....mid-tower-case/

Any experiences, thoughts on this one?

My tower is a P182 and I love it! My only criticism is the distance between the upper HDD tray and where the first card slot (closest to CPU) means that you can't easily remove the HDD tray cage without being careful about the GPU power cables. Very nice case! The P190 is physically larger in ever dimension and has a 200mm top fan and a massive side fan. I built a system for a coworker using a P190, it's a beast!

Both the P180/P190 series have rubber grommets in the back panel for water cooling hoses (which I never needed). Very nice airflow design.

I'll try to take some pics of my system so you can see the general layout.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

My tower is a P182 and I love it! My only criticism is the distance between the upper HDD tray and where the first card slot (closest to CPU) means that you can't easily remove the HDD tray cage without being careful about the GPU power cables. Very nice case! The P190 is physically larger in ever dimension and has a 200mm top fan and a massive side fan. I built a system for a coworker using a P190, it's a beast!

Both the P180/P190 series have rubber grommets in the back panel for water cooling hoses (which I never needed). Very nice airflow design.

I'll try to take some pics of my system so you can see the general layout.

Cool!

I've seen that most of quality chassis have rubber grommets, but my thermaltake hasn't any.