I need help getting a GPU

LUZR4LIFE

OK, I am trying to get a gaming card. As you all know I don't have a job so money is tight. I am looking to spend around 60-80 USD I might go a little higher if it makes a big difference.

This is something I was thinking about getting GIGABYTE GV-R467ZL-1GI Radeon HD 4670 1GB.

I currently have a 17" LCD and will not have anything bigger than that for awhile.

If anyone can explain what to look for in a card it will be helpful.

As of now I have a onboard ATI Radeon HD 4200. Which plays all of the COD's/UnReal on low (never tried a higher setting). I would like to play GTA IV and a few other games.

One last question, should you stay away from "off brand" cards. i.e Asus/Gigabyte/PNY etc.

THANKS Everyone.

Edited by LUZR4LIFE

I love NVidia and for that price range I would go with 9600GT

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500134&cm_re=9600gt-_-14-500-134-_-Product

but, I'm not sure if this card is really good.

I would recommend you the one I have, but I can't find it on the newegg. NVidia XFX 8800GT - this one is the beast and it takes only one slot in your case :)

I have a Radeon HD 2600 will let you know how it handles when I can get a digital monitor or adapter for my old vga :P

LOL. Sorry Rick. At least you have a TV Tuner. I don't have one of those, yet.I am slowly getting a decent system together.

Edited by LUZR4LIFE

I am looking to spend around 60-80 USD I might go a little higher

This is something I was thinking about getting GIGABYTE GV-R467ZL-1GI Radeon HD 4670 1GB.

If gaming was a priority, I'd definitely recommend a Radeon HD5870. They are far and away the best card for the $$ and one of (if not THE) fastest cards on the planet right now. The review I read says the idle power draw is a miserly 27W which is ridiculously low.

But since $$ is a concern, I'd recommend the HD5670 which you can get for ~$99 from NewEgg.

I'm seriously considering trading my nvidia 8800GTS in for a HD5870, I'd save money on my power bill too! :D

And yes, stay away from off-brands whenever possible for warranty reasons. I think BFGtech has the best warranty in the business from all accounts.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

I a m thinking about getting this EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT or XFX HD-467X-ZDF2 Radeon HD 4670

OK, now if I I am going for broke. LOL

I am thinking about getting a XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850

I was thinking about getting EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX, but the price is high and from what I have seen they are about the same.

Edited by LUZR4LIFE

trust me, the 9800gtx and the 4850 is MASSIVE overkill for your 17in lcd monitor. 4670 would beat the 9500 gt

see if you can find a used ati 3850 or 3870. might be able to find one around $50 now and i bet would be plenty

Thanks ccl0 that info will save me money for other things. Maybe a new heatsink or gaming mouse. I will be ordering today. I did find someone on craigslist selling a used 8800GT for 50.00 USD

This is a beast. Serves me very well.

For instance, UT3 on highest settings, FPS is locked on 60fps which is a max.

I just installed my card. Man is it a beast. It has some good weight to it also. I got a 7.2 all around for graphics in WEI for 7. I got a 11241 on 3DMarks (I am missing 2G still so not sure if that will change). Man there is big difference in gaming now. And I really haven't done much yet. Maybe later tonight.

Edited by LUZR4LIFE