[Video] Windows 7 AIK/OPK deployment 101 (Updated)

ricktendo

Can I point out a few things (not related to setupcomplete.cmd problem)

-KB931125 Root certs no longer needed on Windows 7

Root Update Package (intended for Windows XP only)

For users running Windows XP, the root update package will update the list of root certificates on your computer to the list that is accepted by Microsoft as part of the Microsoft Root Certificate Program. The file is updated periodically to add or remove root certificates or CAs from distribution by the Program.

-DirectX needs to be extracted first, I use this with WPI (dont think "%temp%" will work during setupcomplete.cmd stage)

start /wait directx_*_redist.exe /t:"%temp%" /q
start /wait "%temp%\DXSETUP.exe" /silent

-I notice you use the full installer instead of the updated .net4, is it because the updates you integrate dont get copied?

Updates dont get copied because you need to use a MSI editor and tell the installer its administrative (Bug)

Integrate .net4 updates

Slim down .net4 installer (Optional)

Why setupcomplete.cmd is not running, I have no clue

Remember wpi\wpi.hta no longer is there!

Oops. Rookie mistake! doh.gif

That was leftover code from a previous Vista script.

-KB931125 Root certs no longer needed on Windows 7

-DirectX needs to be extracted first

-I notice you use the full installer instead of the updated .net4, is it because the updates you integrate dont get copied?

Why setupcomplete.cmd is not running, I have no clue

-Root certs. Are you sure? I think I started post-installing them because my installs were getting nagged by MU/WU for them. I'll check.

-DirectX. Thanks! I'll try that.

-.net4. Nah, that's just me being lazy. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for your videos, it is big help for me.

What I can't understand is there any way to integrate windows updates for all versions (from starter to ultimate) without getting too large images, or not use no images at all? Like we did in windows XP?

What I can't understand is there any way to integrate windows updates for all versions (from starter to ultimate) without getting too large images, or not use no images at all?

Not with waik, you may need a tool or a script for that

BTW if you integrate the exact same updates the wim should not suffer much in the size department, wim compression is very smart this way

Not with waik, you may need a tool or a script for thatBTW if you integrate the exact same updates the wim should not suffer much in the size department, wim compression is very smart this way

I do not remember what I did exactly but I've tried with rt seven lite and tried to integrate all updates of sp1 and driverpacks. The iso size was 4.61gb

I wrote some scripts to do exactly that! :)Here: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=5199

Thank you I'm checking them now.

Edit: Forgot to ask... Using these scripts for all official driverpacks and windows sp1 updates will iso fit in a dvd-5?

Edited by stsaerox

Edit: Forgot to ask... Using these scripts for all official driverpacks and windows sp1 updates will iso fit in a dvd-5?

I don't know, I never integrate ALL the DriverPacks. I only integrate Chipset, Mass Storage, LAN & WLAN. I use my SAD2 script to install ALL the dps post-install.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

• 1 month later...

Not with waik, you may need a tool or a script for that

BTW if you integrate the exact same updates the wim should not suffer much in the size department, wim compression is very smart this way

Do you mean that if I install the updates in the images i need (I need only ultimate and home premium the version I bought and the one came with my laptop) maybe I get not much larger image?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again

I'm trying to remake my images again... I have some questions:

Is it neccesary to have windows installed in a different partition instead of virtual disk drive? If I can use one, can I remove files (the 'boot' folder and others) by mounting only the virtual disk drive as a logical drive and continue the whole process?

I know that it is explained in the video but I'm missing something because I can't understand well English speech.

No you dont have to have Windows 7 installed in 2 separate partitions/drives/virtualhdd you can install to a single partition and or machine but then you have to create a PE bootdisk with ImageX on it to capture the custom install (watch the OPK videos it shows how)

OK Thank you!

Well I spend my whole afternoon to create my perfect dual layer DVD for both my win 7 PC's but I did not make it..

My problem is that the original's DVD wim structure is:

post-13922-0-50326400-1309123246_thumb.p

And if I delete ei.cfg (and keep only Ultimate & home premium clg files will that work???)I'll get the perfect DVD which installs Home premium in my laptop & ultimate at my desktop I guess...

But after updating the image with latest updates I get this structure which means only ultimate...(Tested)

post-13922-0-29882700-1309123267_thumb.p

Before I try something that would keep me awake can you tell me please:

If I make a home premium wim also how do I compress them in the same wim?

OR I should in first place use this command:

Integrate MSU/CAB updates

DISM  /Add-Package /Image:<dir>:\<mounted_image_path> /PackagePath:<dir>:\<folder_with_updates>

You just export the home premium image into the same install.wim that only has ultimate and you will get folders #1 with ultimate and #2 with home premium

Use the command you used to export only ultimate but this time make it home premium index number (where you see # you change that to the image number you want to export) and tell imagex to export it into your wim with only ultimate (it will make a 2 in 1 wim)

imagex /compress maximum /export <path_to_original_wim>\install.wim # <path_to_new_wim>\install.wim /check

Hey Rick. First, let me say a big thank you for taking the time to help educate. It is very much appreciated here. I have 2 questions about using sysprep to build a custom Windows 7 build. First, can I use sysprep to integrate Windows updates? Second, how should I proceed with regards to AIO disk with 32 and 64 bit? I'm sure I need to start with 2 untouched disks, 1 32 and 1 64, but do I need to sysprep each version separately before I make the AIO or can I sysprep Ultimate version for both 32 and 64 and then make an AIO from that? Thanks!

You can install most anything you want in sysprep (handful of programs may break you install but not many) including updates and drivers, but my saying is if you can integrate it offline then dont bother doing it in sysprep. I only install the stuff I cant integrate like my apps and other microsoft updates such as directx, silverlight, dotnet4, office, etc.

Yes, if you are making a wim with two different custom images you have to do separate sysprep sessions

Couple programs that will break install if you sysprep them are:

Win7codecs (because it renames mfds.dll)

PrefectDisk (I think because it does something with the boot manager)

Well, my first try failed after first reboot, during starting services. But I did all my updates and everything in sysprep, so I guess I will try going slow, integrate updates offline, test, then do 1 app at a time. Other than Windows updates, I just added flash, Java, Burnaware free, VLC, Klite, Teamviewer (runs a service, so may be the issue), Silverlight, Adobe Reader, Cute PDF, IMGBurn, Revo Uninstaller and 7zip. Please let me know if you have any insights. Thanks.

Watch out for codec packs, some rename some built in windows codec files that may cause problems (vista codec pack causes me an error) and you may be right about Teamviewer, try one without it

You pretty much have to do allot of trial and error to see which of your apps plays nice with sysprep, only two of mine dont play nice