[Video] Windows 7 AIK/OPK deployment 101 (Updated)

ricktendo

Vmware can mount the virtual disks it creates (vmdk ?) into the host system and give it a drive letter in order to work as a normal disk. I was wondering if it causing technical issues or something, capturing from a mounted vmware virtual disk.

If you haven't tried I'll give it a try and I'll let you know.

Also dism commands require "waik" to be installed or just the dism(.exe ?) file like some applications do? 

I need your help again.... It seems like imagex is capturing the "boot" folder too. I cannot understand why!! I've only installed windows updates nothing more! What can I do now? I have to remake the image again or just delete this specific folder before I re-capture it? 

Did I skip a step? I watched the entire video again but I cannot understand how do you prevent this...

Hey All!

I made a Windows 7 Pro x86 with Retail DVD (ISO Downloaded from Microsoft) Image with AIK and ImageX, everything working just fine except the answer file....

Basically I want a single NTFS partition Extended.

Everything runs great until the Disk Configuration part, the setup stops for me to configure the disk options on the image setup but I want it to be all unattended.

I will appreciated if somebody can help me with this. I'm going crazy here. Tried many different combinations on the Aswer File and still no luck.

-<DiskConfiguration> <WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI> -<Disk wcm:action="add"> -<CreatePartitions> -<CreatePartition wcm:action="add"> <Extend>true</Extend> <Order>1</Order> <Type>Primary</Type> </CreatePartition> </CreatePartitions> <DiskID>0</DiskID> <WillWipeDisk>true</WillWipeDisk> -<ModifyPartitions> -<ModifyPartition wcm:action="add"> <Active>true</Active> <Extend>true</Extend> <Format>NTFS</Format> <Label>OS</Label> <Letter>C</Letter> <Order>1</Order> <PartitionID>1</PartitionID>

Edited by erikfig

• 2 months later...

I want to create a second partition in the image I'm creating. I want to add an drive with E letter in vmware and it will contain the windows personal folders some files and also move temp folder, index files & folders, chrome and firefox tempfolders etc. I want it to be pre-optimized for maximum life for a SSD.

When I capture the image what will happen? Assuming I will select for my C drive the SSD (and leave my current C on the HDD for dual boot) ....

1.Is it going to install properly creating also the E drive with all above?

2.Is it going to select my current E drive?

3.Is it possible to select manually which will be the E drive?

If someone knows it will save me from much time and hassle.

• 1 month later...

I followed your video on "Preinstalling Applications and Capturing Image HD 1080" but what I didn't get is how did you captured the wim file from VMware, since it uses "vmdk"...?

BTW, I'm using ver. 10 of VM Workstation....

Edited by Cipherfx2

Best to use VirtualBox and create/install to a VHD... You mount it via diskmgmt.msc, action, attach vhd

If you want to keep using VMware find a tool that can convert the VMDK to VHD or one that will allow you to mount a VMDK same as you can a VHD

Best to use VirtualBox and create/install to a VHD... You mount it via diskmgmt.msc, action, attach vhd

If you want to keep using VMware find a tool that can convert the VMDK to VHD or one that will allow you to mount a VMDK same as you can a VHD

THANKS, I was just a bit confused when I followed your video using VMware, but already manage thru VirtualBox... Trying to manage to change the default theme but no luck, do I need to do thru answer file?

a bit off-topic: I installed your .net slim thru sysprep, image it then check thru vm if its installed then everything is ok but when I try to go back to KUC to install WMF, KUC reported that .net is not installed?

Edited by Cipherfx2

Yea you can only do this via autounattend.xml, this and a couple other stuff like pinned apps is only possible thru answer file (KUC answer to .net is posted in the KUC forum)

Thank you so much :dancing: ... going to test it in a few hours :type: ...

• 1 month later...

Hola Ricktendo, gracias pro la información, la he revisado totalmente a detalle y le logrado hacer varias cosas con este método.

Muchas gracias.

Hello Ricktendo Thanks for information, I completely revised to detail and you managed to do several things with this method.

Thank you very much.

Edited by bphlpt
Added transalation