[Closed] Beta GUI v2.999.0.3 - April 17, 2010

This thread will be for the discussion of any BETA versions of the XPtsp GUI that come out. Any requirements will be listed with the most current description of what I'm putting out as the public test. Download links will be present in both this post. Thank you!

NOTE: If this post is LOCKED, then the current beta has been closed and no further input is requested or required. Any non-beta discussion found in this thread will be moved to the appropriate thread.

gui.png+Green.png+Original.png

FileName: XPtsp_v2.999.0.3_Beta.exe

Size: 1.7mb, MD5: 1ea3939c6f9ef532ad908c7c26288021

Download Page: http://www.xptsp.com/XPtsp_Beta.php

Current Beta Version: Closed

Starting Point for Current Beta: Closed

What's Different Between v2.999.0.0 and v2.2.0.1:

- Translation code has been included and enabled.

- English language file has been updated with new strings for dialog boxes.

- XPtsp.INI has been updated with dialog box line mapping information.

- Theme Downloading restricted to new Green theme only.

- Using older themes with beta GUI will result in notification about older version.

What's Different Between Beta Green Theme and Normal:

- Coordinate information updated based on Fixit's Dutch Green batch version.

- Whenever possible, spacing for dialog box text has been maximized.

- Some text in dialog boxes in SYSSETUP.DLL reverted, but no one will probably ever see them....

If you see any visual problems with the new pack, please report them in this thread. DO NOT report Beta Green theme problems in the Green theme thread!

NOTE: English users will see very little difference between the normal GUI plus normal Green theme and this beta version plus beta Green theme, as the coordinate changes result in minimal visual changes for the English language.

Yeah, I guess.... I was really hoping for a positive or negative response, though..... Something other than silence....

EDIT: I am aware that the Live Install feature of the GUI does not work at this point because I managed to screw up the coding of a new page, which no one can see at this point. I've corrected the error, however, I am putting off releasing this "minor" update until I get some responses to the beta... OR when I manage to get around to rewriting the Component Selection page, which doesn't work as it is supposed to, either.... :shy:

After choosing the install method the next screen is blank except for "Choose Windows Setup Folder" across the top. That seems pointless to me when the next screen is the same thing :g:

Actually, I am aware of that bug. That screen isn't supposed to be shown yet, not to mention that the header of the page is WRONG! I am working on the Component Selection code and will release the updated code once that has been fixed. Thanks for the bug report!

Using the exact same bat that I use to create my xp cd's, but this time substituting a run of XPtsp_v2.999.0.1_Beta.exe instead of XPtsp_v2.1.0.1_GUI.exe, during the xp install, in a VM, install is halted with a pop-up box that states "XP Theme Source Patcher :unable to find required "7-zip32.dll" in the Programs folder!".

Hi

Thanks for posting but what theme is it that contains the Windows XP Pro login screen you see in the screenshot in the installer??? The reason why i`m asking is because I installed the green theme but for some reason it gave me a Windows XP Home logo on the login screen instead of a Windows XP Pro logo on my Windows XP Pro.

Thanks for responding

Edited by JAMIS246

Chilltownnj: Thank you for reporting this. Let me look into this issue and get back on it.....

EDIT: I tried to execute both the normal GUI and the beta GUI on my system. Neither gave me that error, so I can't fix something I can't reproduce....

Edited by dougiefresh
Edited for clarity

JAMIS246: Thank you for reporting this. This is probably an issue where the actual file was overwritten during testing, but let me look into this issue.....

EDIT: This image should be what you see for the Pro bootscreen:

Pic02.jpg

Edited by dougiefresh
Edited for clarity

Normal is perfect for me, Beta gave me the issue. I will start over and run it again to see if it happens again. Does this addon require .net to be functioning at t-13? I tried to incorporate a new snms t-13 .net that for some reason during install failed to install due to it saying that my version of windows wasn't XP.

Edited by Chilltownnj

Does this addon require .net to be functioning at t-13?

One of the benefits of this GUI is at no point does it require any of .NET frameworks, nor should it affect the installation of any SVCPACK add-on/program during it's installation during T-13.

I tried to incorporate a new snms t-13 .net that for some reason during install failed to install due to it saying that my version of windows wasn't XP.

I think that some of the files have their version information affected. If this is the cause, then that could be the cause of the "my version of windows wasn't XP" error message(s). I will check the resources to see if I am correct about the version info, though....

EDIT: This is what I've found out looking through the Green Beta theme: EXPLORER.EXE has the version number changed from 5.1.x.x to v6.0.0.0. This is the probable cause of the error you saw, as Windows v6.0.x.x is Vista, not XP. (Although I've been told Windows 7 is v6.1.x.x....) Also, these files have their version information changed: HHCTRL.OCX, HHCTRLUI.DLL, and RUNDLL32.EXE. Please note that the version information may be correct in them, but this in itself could cause problems.

In all cases, I have removed the version information from the RES files. I will do some further testing to make sure that XP will install correctly with that information removed prior to releasing the updated resources.

Edited by dougiefresh

I've replaced the bootscreens with the ones from the batch files, so it should be correct. However, I'm testing the theme package to make sure that today's modifications to other files work properly, so I'm guessing it will be approximately 3 hours before I will upload the new theme (assuming nothing goes wrong).

What's Changed in the Green Beta theme:

- Bootscreens were replaced with those from the XPtsp batch versions.

- Version info was removed from RES files so that files weren't mis-identified as those from Vista.

The next version of the patcher will have code in it that will replace the bootscreens found in the theme with those in the GUI. This is to ensure that the bootscreen in question is the correct one.

Thanks for the update.

By any chance is this also compatible with the 64-bit version of Windows XP??? if not, then it would be nice if you could in the very near future include compatible modifications and themes for the 64-bit version as well.

Thanks for responding.

By any chance is this also compatible with the 64-bit version of Windows XP??? if not, then it would be nice if you could in the very near future include compatible modifications and themes for the 64-bit version as well.

At present moment, there is no support for patching a 64-bit version of Windows XP. For both live installs and integrations, it is determined to be 32-bit or 64-bit by the kernel version number. 32-bit kernels have version 5.1.x.x attached to them, while 64-bits have version 5.2.x.x attached. This makes it easy to tell them apart.

Regarding the request for 64-bit support, it's on the list (dunno if it is posted, but it's on there). Once I open up the GUI to patch previous versions of Windows (NT and 2000), I can work on the code support.

By the way, live installs on Windows NT are not possible, nor is including the GUI in a Windows NT source. It has everything to do with lack of support in AutoIt for older Windows installs and nothing to do with my desires.... Windows 9x/ME is damn near impossible to patch because of the way it was packed.

EDIT: XPtsp FAQ updated to reflect the information in this post.

Thanks so much for responding.

I was wondering if the included Resource Hacker res files in your packs could be used on the 64-bit version but only possible if you manually updated the Windows XP 64-bit resources yourself within Resource Hacker??? or does the 64-bit version have completely different resources inside its system files than the 32-bit version???

Thasnks for responding.

Edited by JAMIS246

I was wondering if the included Resource Hacker res files in your packs could be used on the 64-bit version but only possible if you manually updated the Windows XP 64-bit resources yourself within Resource Hacker??? or does the 64-bit version have completely different resources inside its system files than the 32-bit version???

Unfortunately, I wish I could answer that question for you. I would ASSUME that the 32-bit resources are similar to the 64-bit, but I haven't looked at them at any length.

Hi mate.

Well it seems you can use the resources in your pack on the 64-bit Windows XP system files. Not directly with your installer but manully you can.

I have successfully updated the 64-bit Windows XP logonui.exe with the resources contained in your pack and it seems to work perfectly.

The only thing that needs fixed in my modified 64-bit logonui.exe with your resources is bitmap 2006 needs editing to include x64 between the Professional and the Edition text part of the bitmap, so I was wondering if you could please do me small favor and edit the bitmap for me so that it says Windows XP Professional x64 Edition???

The below attachment is the bitmap from your pack I would like edited so that it corresponds to the x64 version.

Bitmap_21.bmp

Thank you for responding.

Edited by JAMIS246

Note: I've tried to edit the bitmap myself but noticed the bitmap has transparent properties which must be kept in order for the windows logo contained in the bitmap to display properly on the logon screen.

I haven`t really worked with image files that contain transparent properties.

Edited by JAMIS246

I'm sorry. This weekend, I have been trying to correct some other bugs I found. Unfortunately, the problem with the code is more extensive than I realized.... I've also had some personal problems which is slowing down my progress considerably.... I am trying to get everything implemented and it should be ready to release soon. I apologize if this is inconvenient, but life happens when it is least expected....