Infected XP owners left unpatched

NIM

Some of the latest security updates for Windows XP will not be installed on machines infected with a rootkit virus. A rootkit is sneaky malware that buries itself deep inside the Windows operating system to avoid detection.

Microsoft said it had taken the action because similar updates issued in February made machines infected with the Alureon rootkit crash endlessly. The latest updates can spot if a system is compromised by the Alureon rootkit and halt installation.

http://www.wincert.net/news/security/2033-infected-xp-owners-left-unpatched-.html

With some malware, a nuke/reinstall is the only viable option.

I mean really, if you do manage to clean a system, how much would you trust a previously-compromised system with your personal info?

Given the option, I always format/reinstall. It's quicker in the long run.

With some malware, a nuke/reinstall is the only viable option.

I mean really, if you do manage to clean a system, how much would you trust a previously-compromised system with your personal info?

Given the option, I always format/reinstall. It's quicker in the long run.

Absolutely agreed. Whenever someone asks me for an advice on infected PC, I always said that backup/format/reinstall is the safest solution. But for some reason people find fighting the virus less frustrating than a clean install.