Custom Computer Case

Hey guys, this case i'm making is not a tower it's like the HTPC but can be used for ATX and i'm trying to get it so it can fit E-ATX Motherboards.. I thought to post it and see what you guys think of it and I need help also with a few things..

59542_439680073500_602423500_4989707_4788329_n.jpg

59333_439680133500_602423500_4989708_3616872_n.jpg

59333_439680138500_602423500_4989709_1629253_n.jpg

59333_439680143500_602423500_4989710_2057960_n.jpg

Inside of where the computer parts will go but i'm thinking of swapping the PSU and putting the motherboard where the PSU was and put the PSU where the motherboard... if that make any sense??

59333_439680148500_602423500_4989711_3338165_n.jpg

Front Fan which will have RED LEDs ;)

59333_439680153500_602423500_4989712_269434_n.jpg

The DVD drive which is like the PS3. Which don't have a disc tray it will slide the disc in and out. ;)

So what you guys think? Anything I could add/change? I'm open to anything to make it better.

I'm also going to build it and then send it off to a few companies...

also i didn't really know what area to post this in so i just thought to post it in 'modding hardware topic'

I like the forward facing fan

I couldn't disagree more. The fan in the front is a huge mistake, giving a direct "line-of-sight" from the noisemaker to the listener.

Also, having the vents that close to the fans will "short-circuit" your airflow and stagnate the air in the center of the case.

Your design is called a "negative pressure" design. Meaning air will get sucked into the case where ever it can. It's the worst design for dust control.

I'd prefer having the ducts opposite from the fans giving a more "cross-flow" effect.

I'll grab my crayon and show you in a bit what I mean.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

I couldn't disagree more. The fan in the front is a huge mistake, giving a direct "line-of-sight" from the noisemaker to the listener.

Also, having the vents that close to the fans will "short-circuit" your airflow and stagnate the air in the center of the case.

Your design is called a "negative pressure" design. Meaning air will get sucked into the case where ever it can. It's the worst design for dust control.

I'd prefer having the ducts opposite from the fans giving a more "cross-flow" effect.

I'll grab my crayon and show you in a bit what I mean.

I was hoping you would reply to the topic.. lol

ohhh, so if i get rid of the fans on the sides and just have them at the end and front it will be more better? reason why i added the vents is cause i want the case to keep the parts as cool as it can and I'm thinking of changing the places of the components so that the motherboard is where the PSU is and the PSU is where the motherboard is...

and another thing I was thinking to do was have a funnel for the CPU heatsink so it gets air from outside the case or having a 120mm side fan so you could use a water cooling for the CPU (e.g the Corsair H50-1) what you think? and all fans in the case will have dust filters...

@Rick thanks i love the look of the front... :)

This pic will illustrate what I'm talking about. With the fans as exhausts (blowing out) and having the vents too close, then the outside air gets pulled into the vents and immediately exhausted before it has a chance to do any good.

nq8u2t.png

Now look at the below pic with my idea.

No vents on the front at all. Make two intake 120mm fans (blowing in), one on each side and one slightly more forward than the opposing fan.

This will introduce swirling turbulent air in the center of the case where the northbridge sits.

Hard drives don't need a lot of cooling air, but they need some. Heat will kill a drive quicker than anything else (other than dropping it).

All air will exhaust to the rear either through the GPU fan, CPU fan duct, or PSU fan.

This is much easier to control the dust with filters over the 120mm fans and if water-cooling is used, the 120mm fan opposite the hard drives (closest to PCI slots) can be reversed with the radiator mounted internally.

30dggi0.png

Another good example of "positive-pressure" case design is the Antec NSK24** series.

Two 120mm fans blowing in, hot air exhausting through the baffled ducts. Quiet.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

The front fan is an intake fan.. would that still mess up the flow?

EDIT: What if i have the front intake fan in the middle of the front and have a small 80mm or something like that at the back or even just have the front fan in the middle with no other fans...?

Edited by snakecracker

I went and had a look at the Antec case you pointed out and came up with this.

2s1kgw3.png

ipqy5z.png

Also I'm thinking of moving the fan back to front side where it was originally...

Any better or still wrong? I'm thinking of adding a fan next to the or in between the PSU and HDDs..

I'll add some more pics

Edited by snakecracker

Holy crap look at the size of that GPU! That's a beast!

Be careful with the case height. In your illustration, you wouldn't be able to put the case lid back on because of the GPU power connectors on the top of the card.

Cable distances might be trouble too with the board SATA connectors far from the HDDs.

Holy crap look at the size of that GPU! That's a beast!

Be careful with the case height. In your illustration, you wouldn't be able to put the case lid back on because of the GPU power connectors on the top of the card.

Cable distances might be trouble too with the board SATA connectors far from the HDDs.

Thats the HD 5870 O_O just think of the 5970! X_X

I was looking into that this morning and was thinking of doing something to the lid itself...

and I was thinking of moving the HDDs to the other side of the case... i'm still thinking... but so far what do you think? i'm still thinking of some way to get the Corsair h50 t ofit somewhere... i was thinking of the front fan but then all the heat would be dumped into the case from the radiator...

'E' is for extended. Basically it's an ATX with more PCI slots (or whatever). Generally only found in servers.

BTW, what software are you using for your renders? It looks similar to the 3D home design software I used to visualize our house extension to our architect before we built it.

very cool.

This is an E-ATX motherboard: http://www.evga.com/articles/00537/ and thank I like this version too. I'm still adding a few things too ;)

And I'm only using Google SketchUp...

Also where could i add the 120mm fan for the Corsair h50? I'm not sure where to have it... I was thinking of having it outside the case or making some sort of air duct for the front 120mm fan and having the radiator on the front fan... (I'll show you in abit)

EDIT: I'm re-doing the height of the case and i'm adding a second floor to the case on the top side of the case so it can house the radiator and hard drives. I'm making it now so i'll show you in an hour or 2

Edited by snakecracker

Here it is guys.

2zz6v5x.png

33wkx08.png

i70q2u.png

wb2crq.png

121379h.png

6ezneh.png

2agnvh0.png

This is what I've done to fit in the radiator and I moved the HDDs to the top so its more easier to change the hard drives...

So what do you guys think of it now?

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a up-to-date design, I've got 2 designs for Black Ops RP but not sure on what one to go for... this is my second design, (I'll post the first design soon..)

30xh7x3.png

2dt0vv7.png

2hol4sz.png

jglagz.png

What you guys think? :)

I'm still working on the body shape ATM and colour..

Edited by snakecracker

Well, it's definitely mutated beyond the typical case. Originality +10!One plus with the L-shaped ledge is you could prop a LCD monitor on it and have it flat against the wall.Not sure I'd want one, but go for it!

Yeah, that's what i was thinking of doing. It would look good also.. plus, I'm going to add either Red or Green LEDs inside the case so it glows ;)

WOW super nice

Thanks Rick :) I can't wait till I get the design finished so I can start building... I've only got 2 parts.. the ATX Mobo tray and the backplate.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks nice. All that space you have there to the left of the display and you're using a notebook slimline DVD? ;)

I like how all the fans at the top of the case are exhaust. That's going to be a lot of airflow!

Yup I'm going to use a slot-in DVD drive.. This is on bit-tech as well so I might be in the Custom PC mag :DI want as much airflow as I could cause of the size of the case and the amount of power that's going to be in it... it's only 300mm (H) and 300mm (D) and I think it was something like 500-600mm (W)