How do you setup Windows Mail?

skorch41

Windows Mail is the successor of Outlook Express 6. You should know POP and SMTP addresses to setup Windows Mail.

POP3 or Post Office Protocol 3 is often used by this address pop.%domain%.com

POP3 servers hold incoming e‑mail messages until you check your e‑mail, at which point they're transferred to your computer. POP3 is the most common account type for personal e‑mail. Messages are typically deleted from the server when you check your e‑mail.

SMTP or Simple Mail Transfer Protocol is often used by this address mail.%domain%.com

SMTP servers handle the sending of your e‑mail messages to the Internet. The SMTP server handles outgoing e‑mail, and is used in conjunction with a POP3 or IMAP incoming e‑mail server.

Please post which internet mail would you like to setup in Windows Mail, and I'll test it and will give you complete "how to" for the mail account you'll specify..

Thanks! I want to use Yahoo! Mail account in Windows Mail.. Can I use that?

Unfortunately the ability to access Yahoo! Mail via a POP3 email client (such as Outlook, Outlook Express or Windows Mail) is only available to customers of premium Yahoo! Mail Plus service. If you have not purchased the Yahoo! Mail Plus service, you will be unable to retrieve messages via an email client.

TBH, I don't know how much do they charge for that service..

If your willing to do so, get a G-Mail account, that works 100% with Windows Mail, I can vouch for this as I have 2 G-Mail accounts in Windows Mail and they both work.

If you need the link to get a G-Mail account, just go here www.gmail.com and in the bottom right corner theres a link to sign up.

If you need help getting it set up right to work, let me know and I can help out as I've done it so many times I've memorized the keystrokes :P

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, Windows Mail in Vista no longer supports checking your Hotmail account. I used to be able to check my Hotmail account in Windows XP Outlook Express.

I had to switch to Gmail, which is the only one that offers checking your mail from an email client. As was mentioned, Yahoo charges and Hotmail doesn't even allow it.

You can use a free program called Windows Mail Live Desktop, which is in beta right now that will let you check Hotmail email. It has advertisements though.

You can also use Outlook (not express) to check your hotmail email. However, Outlook Express is superior with Hotmail than Outlook.