(at 1st) powerpoint & outlook failed to start after install (now it's all ms-office apps)

kiki burgh

hello! i've been trying to find the source of my problems with both powerpoint & outlook 2010.

i used to have office 2003 fully updated (even with 2007 compatibility packs & service packs) & i just upgraded (option was to remove previous versions) to en_office_professional_plus_2010_x86_515486.

excel, word & publisher all load up well but not for powerpoint & outlook.

specifically i get the same errors for both:

upon initial launch, error reporting always shows:

Microsoft PowerPoint has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. <Restart Microsoft Outlook> <Send Error Report> <Don't Send>

Error signature:

AppName: powerpnt.exe AppVer: 14.0.4754.1000 AppStamp:4b967cf0

ModName: ppcore.dll ModVer: 14.0.4754.1000 ModStamp:4b967d28

fDebug: 0 Offset: 006c81de

(The following files will be included in this error report: C:\DOCUME~1\KIKI\LOCALS~1\Temp\5811281.cvr)

Event Viewer has these:

PowerPoint failed to start correctly last time. Starting PowerPoint in safe mode will help you correct or isolate a startup problem in order to successfully start the program. Some functionality may be disabled in this mode.

Do you want to start PowerPoint in safe mode? <Yes> <No> --- this fails after clicking ok & immediately followed by:

PowerPoint failed to launch in safe mode. Do you want to start repair? --- opting to repair will proceed with the install & then after repair completes, launching the program will have the same results.

exactly the same thing happens to outlook:

Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. <Restart Microsoft Outlook> <Send Error Report> <Don't Send>

Error signature:

AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 14.0.4760.1000 AppStamp:4ba8fefd

ModName: unknown ModVer: 0.0.0.0 ModStamp:00000000

fDebug: 0 Offset: 40384dbc

(The following files will be included in this error report: C:\DOCUME~1\KIKI\LOCALS~1\Temp\4889328.cvr)

Outlook failed to start correctly last time. Starting Outlook in safe mode will help you correct or isolate a startup problem in order to successfully start the program. Some functionality may be disabled in this mode.

Do you want to start Outlook in safe mode? <Yes> <No>

Outlook failed to launch in safe mode. Do you want to start repair? <Yes> <No>

uninstalled (via add/remove programs) & reinstalled everything with the same results. uninstalled everything again ... even used fix me (by ms --- running all for 2003, 2007 & 2010, restarted the pc after every run & ran ccleaner too before every reinstall) & reinstalled (even with anti-virus disabled) again with the same results.

i've done about 6 or more reinstallations. in the 1st attempt i was prompted to browse (in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\..) for pss10r.chm & could not find the file so installation was not completed. i repeated the install & this time it went through (but still same behavior for both apps after). in another reinstall i encountered:

Error 1406: Setup cannot write the value Class to the registry key\Software\Classes\CLSID\{000CDB0D-0000-0000-C000-000000000046]\InprocServer32\ 14.0.0.0. Verify that you have sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) for assistance. For information on how to contact PSS, see PSS10R.CHM. <Cancel> <Retry> <Ignore>.

opted for <Retry> (about 3-4 times) but it did not bring me anywhere. <Ignore> came up with a similar error but this time instead of value Class to, it was [color="#0000FF"]value Assemby to. succeeding <Ignore> came up with similar error but with value RuntimeVersion to ... 3rd time <Ignore> proceeded & completed the install. values inside { } also changed after each single attempt. (same was true when running a repair for a supposedly completed installation.)

in short, errors just cycle without being able to use powerpoint & outlook at all.

just to be sure, i ran test archive (via 7zip) on the installer & no error was detected. i likewise extracted the contents of en_office_professional_plus_2010_x86_515486.exe & confirmed that pss10r.chm was there.

verified too its presence right before installation (after extraction phase): C:\Documents and Settings\KIKI\Local Settings\Temp\OWP22.tmp\Office.en-us\pss10r.chm

tried to follow too instructions from: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687 but not much was applicable for office 2010. i tried to reinstall office 2010 via method 2 as suggested in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B310353 & it installed completely without Error 1406; however, as i feared as soon as i started the program, i encountered the vicious cycle again of: Microsoft (PowerPoint/Outlook) has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. <Restart Microsoft PowerPoint/Outlook> <Send Error Report> <Don't Send>. ... (didn't matter whether i sent the report or not ... no difference in results) ... then the suggestion to run the app(s) in safe mode ... then after it failed, the prompt to repair ... then after it completed the repair (that was if Error 1406 didn't come up during the repair process), relaunching the program(s) would go through the same cycle again ... even tried it with a different installer by downloading X16-32007.exe (trial version of office 2010 from MS) & still the same ... :( after several failed installation (& launch) attempts, now even ms-word, ms-excel & ms-publisher could not be installed completely & if there was an option to skip the error(s) mentioned above to complete(?) installation, it could not be launched at all.

all efforts have been very frustrating. i'm about to give up & i guess my only route is to reinstall XP & lose all the updates since. i've hit a brick wall & i would really appreciate anyone's kindest support to be able to resolve this & use powerpoint & excel too. please. i've posted the same inquiry in another friendly board & waiting for feedback too.

by the way, am using xp sp3.

cheers!