Here is a simple guide on how to perform CHKDSK in Windows 7/Vista

Makcalable

Here is a simple guide on how to perform CHKDSK in Windows 7/Vista

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Chkdsk analyzes the physical structure of a disk to make sure that it is healthy and It can repair problems related to bad sectors, lost clusters, and directory errors.

These types of problems can be caused in many different ways ie. System crashes or freezes, power glitches, incorrectly turning off a computer can also cause corruption in the system files etc..

Physically bumping or knocking a computer can cause the head that reads disks to hit the surface and damage sectors. Once some sort of error occurs it can end up creating more errors so a regularly scheduled disk check is part of good system maintenance.

Chkdsk can also serve as an early warning that a hard drive is deteriorating, disks will gradually wear out and sectors may become bad.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Go to Computer in the start menu,

30kx3l1.png

Right click on the drive you want to scan and select Properties,

Then click on Tools tab > Click on Check Now under the error checking section,

29lcuwn.png

Ok, here you will have a couple of options within the CHKDSK tool. It's recommended you leave the automatically fix file system errors checked,This option will attempt to repair any problems found.

To perform a deeper scan, Check > scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This option will take a bit longer,

2pt3pzr.png

When you have made your selection just hit the Start Button,

If you are attempting to scan a Drive that is in use you will be faced with the image below, so just click on schedule disk check and the next time you reboot your computer it will run the CHKDSK scan.

ogb5o7.png

To perform This CHKDSK scan VIA command prompt; CHKDSK x: /F /R where X is your drive letter.

Hope you found this useful!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip, I've actually been having a hard time figuring this out. My computer crashes every time I hit the browse button in Firefox to upload a file as an email attachment. Maybe it's just a disk error that can be easily fixed. Now I know how to check. :unsure:

• 2 months later...

Hey Bugsy, are these tutorials yours or did you collect them on other sites?

I'd like to post some of your articles on our frontpage so that's why I'm asking.

Regards,

Nik

Yes they are all mine 100% created by myself, all in all I have over 60 tutorials most of them are on my computer help forum ;-)

Edited by Bugsy

Great, so I have permission to post them on the frontpage?

I've found some time to be more active on the frontpage articles, mostly tips and latest news from IT world.

Cheers,

Nik

Great, so I have permission to post them on the frontpage?

I've found some time to be more active on the frontpage articles, mostly tips and latest news from IT world.

Cheers,

Nik

Yes that isn't a problem you can use which ever ones you wish ;-)

Hey Bugsy, assuming the link embedded in your signature is the one you want people to use to get to your site, you might want to fix it - it's missing the ":" in the address. Currently it's just "http//fixitwizkid.com/", which on most browsers will go nowhere. It might also be helpful to have your tutorials more prominently located. (And all together?) I FINALLY found this one in:

Forums

..Systems

....Operating Systems

......Tips and Tricks

........How To Perform chkdsk In Windows 7/Vista

and ONLY found it by doing a search for titles with "chkdsk". While frequent visitors to your site might be more familiar with the layout, this new visitor had a hard time. The information you produce is very good, correct and clear, but finding it... Just a thought.

Cheers and Regards