DriverPacks Script (ChiefZeke)

ChiefZeke

W7Toolkit 1.0.2.14?(13) and Win7 Ultimate 64-bit w/SP1

I noticed that right under the title bar you added a Downloads option; one of which points to DriverPacks for Win7 x64 and x86. (Also, this change is not shown at http://www.wincert.n...kit-v102-final/ - please update.)

My question is: if DriverPacks are downloaded how are they integrated using the W7Toolkit? When I go to Drivers > Add Drivers and navigate to the DriverPacks location and select the folder I have titled Win7-DriverPacks none are selected. I am guessing this is because they are all .7Z files and therefore not recognized by W7Toolkit. I am also pretty sure the folks at DriverPacks created a script that is to be used for including their DriverPacks with Win7; see: http://forum.driverp...pic.php?id=4954

Their latest script is version 110505 - called SAD2 (Stand Alone DriverPack)2

Edited by Legolash2o

W7Toolkit 1.0.2.14?(13) and Win7 Ultimate 64-bit w/SP1

I noticed that right under the title bar you added a Downloads option; one of which points to DriverPacks for Win7 x64 and x86. (Also, this change is not shown at - please update.)

My question is: if DriverPacks are downloaded how are they integrated using the W7Toolkit? When I go to Drivers > Add Drivers and navigate to the DriverPacks location and select the folder I have titled Win7-DriverPacks none are selected. I am guessing this is because they are all .7Z files and therefore not recognized by W7Toolkit. I am also pretty sure the folks at DriverPacks created a script that is to be used for including their DriverPacks with Win7; see: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=4954

Their latest script is version 110505 - called SAD2 (Stand Alone DriverPack)2

Chief, you have to unpack all the .7z's ..just create a folder called Drivers and unpack all the .7z into that folder. then, you'll be able tho select what drivers do you want , or , even the whole folder! that's the way i do it ;)

Edited by Sorin

Chief, you have to unpack all the .7z's ..just create a folder called Drivers and unpack all the .7z into that folder. then, you'll be able tho select what drivers do you want , or , even the whole folder! that's the way i do it ;)

Having to unpack the .7Z files was not what I had in mind. The script written by the folks at DriverPacks was designed to do the following:

"Here is a script developed from the original SAD script. I'll call it SAD2 :)

It'll automatically determine the running system OS arch and extract the correct dps from the right directory. Very slick.

Supports all NT5 (XP/2000/2003) & NT6 (Vista/Win7) OS types."

So, given that the script was written to determine the running OS and correct DriverPack(s) I mentioned it so that a determination could be made to verify its compatibility with W7Toolkit.

Chief, since the DriverPack script and, with proper preparation, W7Toolkit can each separately make use of the DrivePacks for Win7, I'm not sure what you mean by "compatibility". How were you wanting, or expecting, it to work? From what you quoted, the DriverPacks script works on a "running system" and installs to that running system. Are you asking if the script and the Packs can be added somehow to the source and then be triggered at install time to do its thing, like and AddOn? Or what?

Cheers and Regards

Having to unpack the .7Z files was not what I had in mind. The script written by the folks at DriverPacks was designed to do the following:

It'll automatically determine the running system OS arch and extract the correct dps from the right directory. Very slick.

So, given that the script was written to determine the running OS and correct DriverPack(s) I mentioned it so that a determination could be made to verify its compatibility with W7Toolkit.

Chief, i know that script :) ..i've used it and it's very nice. Does the whole thing. I've created a setup that contains their script and all the driverpacks . Works on x86 and x64(my setup). It also works to be added on Silent Install with Lego's tool. But here a question : why don't you integrate the whole pack of drivers with Lego's tool? It works very nice..gave me a few errors ..specially from webcam , but it works..For example , i did a fresh install this evening (win 7 ultimate x64) and it detected from the start my motherboards drivers.. otherwise i've had to put on my dvd drivers and install them one by one ..

Trust me , THEY WORK! It's not the first time when i used their script :)

See postings #99, #103, #108, #110, #112, #113 for comments on this same subject that, in some cases, do not fully address the issues with the use of the DriverPacks downloaded using the W7Toolkit Downloads option.

W7Toolkit 1.0.2.20?(19) and Win7 Ultimate 64-bit w/SP1

W7Toolkit > Downloads > DriverPacks > Select Files (x64 or x86) (Bit Torrent) > Download Location

This is the action to be taken indicated from within W7Toolkit.

First problem could be that many have no clue as to Bit Torrent and how to use for downloading.

Second problem is that no mention is made that these files should be installed using the DriverPacks script available form the DriverPacks forum: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=4954 - comments in the postings above make mention of this but that does not meet the requirements of clarifying this for users running the W7Toolkit as is, with no help files or awareness of forum postings.

Third problem is found in posting #104/105 in the same forum where the comment is about using the downloads and the script to update drivers for the existing/running operating system, not as a method to slipstream/integrate into Win7's install.wim or boot.wim as some users could assume during their use of W7Toolkit.

So, because of these issues I think the user must be provided an extensive explanation of proper downloading procedures for Bit Torrent and use of these Win7 DriverPacks and informed that they are not a replacement for All-In-One-Integrator > Drivers > Add Drivers (which are made part of Install.Wim and Boot.Wim.

The ReadMe.txt file that is included in the DriverPacks script follows and I am pretty sure most people just downloading the DriverPacks are unaware of its requirements:

*** WARNING ***

Ensure you run the DP_Install_Tool.cmd file with an adminstrator account or with adminstrator rights.

** Caution **

The below caution is for Vista/Win7 users only.

If you run the DP_Install_Tool.cmd file from an account without adminstrator rights, the tool will ask for an adminstrator password to continue.

* Note *

Difference between method 1 & method 2:

Method 1 will unpack all the selected dps to a temp folder, then .CAB compress the files to save space, then copy all the individual files/folders to the destination.

- Benefit #1: When installing new hardware, Windows will scan removable drives for compatible drivers and auto-install if found.

- Benefit #2: Installing drivers is very quick because the drivers are already pre-staged and ready for use.

- Problem #1: This method takes a LOONNNGGGG time to create and uses roughly 3 times the disc space to store.

- Problem #2: Keeping your SAD disc up-to-date requires completely rebuilding the packs each time an update is available.

Method 2 keeps all the DriverPacks in their .7z compressed state and then unpacks them to the destination drive once install is selected.

- Benefit #1: This method takes less than a minute to create the SAD disc and saves lots of space on the disc itself because the files are kept compressed.

- Benefit #2: Keeping your SAD disc up-to-date is as simple as replacing the .7z packs with updated ones...easy.

- Problem #1: When installing new hardware using the "new hardware wizard", Windows will NOT find any drivers when scanning removable media because the files are still compressed.

- Problem #2: Installing drivers takes longer because the drivers must be unpacked to the system drive before they can be used.

You must prioritize your needs and select the appropriate method to use. You must select one or the other, not both.

What goes where?

NT5\x86\

-Method-1: Use DriverPacks BASE to create a Method-1 SAD disc selecting the packs you want to include. By default, the folder "DriverPacks.net" will be created in C:\.

Copy the contents of that DriverPacks.net folder to this folder so that the folder heirarchy looks like this: \NT5\x86\D\.

-Method-2: 32-bit Win XP/2000/2003 DriverPacks go here in their compressed state. The Chipset DriverPack is included for reference. Method 2 will fail if the \NT5\x86\D\ folder exists here, only .7z packs must be present.

NT6\x64\

-Method-1: Extract the contents of all DriverPacks to the NT6\x64\D\ folder so that the folder heirarchy looks like this: \NT5\x64\D\*. Method 1 will fail if the \NT6\x64\ folder contains any .7z DriverPacks.

-Method-2: 64-bit Vista/Win7 DriverPacks go here in their compressed state. The Chipset DriverPack is included for reference. Method 2 will fail if the \NT6\x64\D\ folder exists here, only .7z packs must be present.

NT6\x86\

-Method-1: Extract the contents of all DriverPacks to the NT6\x86\D\ folder so that the folder heirarchy looks like this: \NT5\x86\D\*. Method 1 will fail if the \NT6\x86\ folder contains any .7z DriverPacks.

-Method-2: 32-bit Vista/Win7 DriverPacks go here in their compressed state. The Chipset DriverPack is included for reference. Method 2 will fail if the \NT6\x86\D\ folder exists here, only .7z packs must be present.

I think the above answers the questions and comments made by me and others in the postings I listed at the beginning of this posting and why I think just pointing to DriverPacks is not necessarily a good idea.

I have not read all of your last post but i don't provide or work on the Driverpacks so therefore i won't write a guide on how to download the bittorent files, thats the creator of the driverpacks job.

Once i have fully read your post i will make a further reply.

@ChiefZeke, I think you're confused as to the nature of my scripts. I'll explain better:

SAD2: Designed to be executed on a currently running system (online), either NT5 or NT6, and UPGRADE the drivers on that system. SAD=Stand Alone Drivers disc

Support forum: http://forum.driverp...id=41590#p41590

Integration-scripts: Designed to inject/integrate drivers into a NT6 .wim (offline) file using DISM.

Support forum: http://forum.driverp...pic.php?id=5199

You have to make a determination on whether you want to add drivers to an online or offline installation, and select the correct method.

Please take your DriverPacks-specific questions to our support forums. Legolash2o's toolkit works as it's meant to.

As to the bittorrent files, I think we explained it rather well in the current News post: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=5253

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

MR_Smartepants, are you responsible for the driver packs? I've tried speaking to Muiz but he don't reply.

If you are, then please PM your MSN address :)

It's about some missing files on some of the driver packs :D

Edited by Legolash2o

Chief, my question still stands - "How were you wanting, or expecting, it to work?"

Using Win7 Toolkit with the DriverPack files does NOT require the use of DP_Install_Tool.cmd or ANY other script available on the DriverPack site, just the DriverPack files themselves, ONLY. Using the scripts are an alternate way to use the DriverPack files which can be used with other means of creating a Win7 Install disk (and with the toolkit if you treat the entire package as an addon, IF I understand it correctly, though I could have that completely wrong, and I apologize if I do).

As to having to give an explanation how torrent files work, that's like explaining how to get your Win7 source disk. You go to the store, or online, and buy it, or it comes with your PC purchase, or you're eligible for a copy from your school, or whatever. And torrent is not the only way to get the DriverPack files, though it is the current official way to get the absolute latest versions. You could have an older set you downloaded already, there are some distribution disks with the files, or a friend could have copied a set onto a disk for you. And as MR_Smartepants said, there is an explanation of how to get the files via torrent on the DriverPacks site, where it belongs. The documentation for Win7 Toolkit should lay out what you need, where to put it, and how to use it. It should point to where the files you need can be obtained, but other than that, getting the files should be left "as an exercise for the reader".

I'm afraid if I had to follow your latest post as an explanation on how to use the DriverPack files with Win7 Toolkit I would be so totally lost I would throw up my hands and just forget the whole thing. I agree that there needs to be a bit more documentation on how to use DriverPacks with Win7 Toolkit, whether they need to be expanded or left compressed, where exactly they need to be located, etc, but what you wrote was no help to me at all.

Cheers and Regards

I don't understand how or why my fairly simple comments became so difficult to undertand.

I was simply pointing out the fact that W7Toolkit > Downloads > DriverPacks was not providing complete instructions/information to a user.

DriverPacks were Bit Torrent Files - not mentioned; A script had been created - not mentioned; Installation on an installed/running system was required in certain instances - not mentioned.

I did not say I had problems or needed help - again, I was pointing out issues I thought needed addressing by the W7Toolkit creator so that a novice would not be totally lost when/if they downloaded the various DriverPacks and had no procedures immediately at hand on their proper use.

If what I wrote here is still confusing then I am forced to request total elimination of all of these postings as I can no longer try to provide information on this matter.

MR_Smartepants, are you responsible for the driver packs?

If you are, then please PM your MSN address :)

Yes, you've got PM. :)

I was simply pointing out the fact that W7Toolkit > Downloads > DriverPacks was not providing complete instructions/information to a user.

DriverPacks were Bit Torrent Files - not mentioned; A script had been created - not mentioned; Installation on an installed/running system was required in certain instances - not mentioned.

Wim Leers (owner of DriverPacks.net) asked Legolash2o to specifically limit the DriverPacks download information and remove the direct download links from the W7toolkit. Shortly after that, we moved to a 100% bittorrent distribution so the original problem (ad links) was removed. None of the scripts I wrote are required (or used) by the W7toolkit.I hope this clarifies things a bit more.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

I don't understand how or why my fairly simple comments became so difficult to undertand.

I did not say I had problems or needed help - again, I was pointing out issues I thought needed addressing by the W7Toolkit creator so that a novice would not be totally lost when/if they downloaded the various DriverPacks and had no procedures immediately at hand on their proper use.

If what I wrote here is still confusing then I am forced to request total elimination of all of these postings as I can no longer try to provide information on this matter.

Ahh i understand, i will adjust the link and will add a link to a guide of downloading the torrent files :)

I think it may have confused people as you made it sound like you wanted me to implement the script into Windows 7 Toolkit :P

EDIT: It's going to be tough to link to a page which tells you how to download torrent files, because people may use that knowledge to download things they shouldn't....

Edited by Legolash2o

A script had been created - not mentioned; Installation on an installed/running system was required in certain instances - not mentioned.

As Mr_Smartepants has confirmed, neither of these items are required for use with Windows 7 Toolkit, so their mention is NOT necessary.

Hopefully, Legolash2o will add enough documentation so things will be clarified and people will understand that only the DriverPacks themselves, and nothing else, are required for successful results with Windows 7 Toolkit.

Cheers and Regards

Ahh i understand, i will adjust the link and will add a link to a guide of downloading the torrent files :)

I think it may have confused people as you made it sound like you wanted me to implement the script into Windows 7 Toolkit :P

EDIT: It's going to be tough to link to a page which tells you how to download torrent files, because people may use that knowledge to download things they shouldn't....

Why not add a tooltip box - when Downloads > DriverPacks is selected the tooltip could appear and state something about Torrent files, requires a Bit Torrent program to complete downloads.