Taskbar Question

BYTE-ME

Is there anyway to automatically populate and/or remove icons from the windows 7 task bar during or after a clean install? Also, what's the best way to add/save hotfixes for a subsequent install after installing SP1?

You have to use autounattend.xml to add taskbar links, IDK how to delete...you CANNOT manually delete any even if you mount and delete the links, they are automatically recreated during install

Here are the links I create for my unattended install (I preinstall the apps)

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<StartPanelLinks>
<Link0>%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Security Essentials.lnk</Link0>
<Link1>%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Silverlight\Microsoft Silverlight.lnk</Link1>
<Link2>%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Excel 2010.lnk</Link2>
<Link3>%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Word 2010.lnk</Link3>
<Link4>%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Windows AIK\Deployment Tools Command Prompt.lnk</Link4>
</StartPanelLinks>
<TaskbarLinks>
<Link0>%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Media Center.lnk</Link0>
<Link1>%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines.lnk</Link1>
<Link2>%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Live Messenger.lnk</Link2>
</TaskbarLinks>
</component>

As for hotfixes why not use a post sp1 updatepack or windows updates downloader to get the updates (I think w7toolkit can grab the cab updates that you install from MS Update)

You have to use autounattend.xml to add taskbar links, IDK how to delete...you CANNOT manually delete any even if you mount and delete the links, they are automatically recreated during install

Thanks ricktendo64, one day I will clear out a weekend and try to go through your clean install FAQ. That .xml stuff is rocket science to an old codger like me :g:

Here are the links I create for my unattended install (I preinstall the apps)

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<StartPanelLinks>
<Link0>%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Security Essentials.lnk</Link0>
<Link1>%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Silverlight\Microsoft Silverlight.lnk</Link1>
<Link2>%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Excel 2010.lnk</Link2>
<Link3>%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Word 2010.lnk</Link3>
<Link4>%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Windows AIK\Deployment Tools Command Prompt.lnk</Link4>
</StartPanelLinks>
<TaskbarLinks>
<Link0>%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Media Center.lnk</Link0>
<Link1>%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines.lnk</Link1>
<Link2>%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Live Messenger.lnk</Link2>
</TaskbarLinks>
</component>

As for hotfixes why not use a post sp1 updatepack or windows updates downloader to get the updates (I think w7toolkit can grab the cab updates that you install from MS Update)

Does it mean the default links from the start panel and taskbar will be replaced by these new links or default links would be there and these links would be added to those default links?

Nope, you will still get the 3 default taskbar links (these are created new on every 1st login) along with your 3, only some of the temporary start menu links are replaced

BTW you cant do the same link in the start menu that you did in the taskbar, because if you notice when you pin a link in the taskbar it disappears from the temp start menu links

OH and 3 and 5 new links are all that you can do