Weird component removal behaviour

Octopuss

Thanks for the replies. I found out about this pretty soon - inability to read sucks :P The image shrank by about 100MB only - I hope it's so little due to strong compression, because the amount of stuff I checked to remove was high.

Stil a shame there's so little to remove :(

Lego you should add the ability to only un-hide and remove the desired component(s) and leave the others untouched...or the ability after component removal to restore the registry permissions and re-hide the components once more (so it does not affect feature disabling)

Check out this guys explanation to what the install_wim_tweak tool does to un-hide the components (all you need to do is reverse the process)

I asked the author of the install_wim_tweak tool to update it and add the ability to un-hide single components without affecting the rest like so

install_wim_tweak /p C:\mount /m /c <component_name_to_un-hide_here>

The source code is available, hopefully someone can do it or you can add it to your tool

I've already done a few modifications to it myself and fixed quite a few bugs with that tool, it's a great little tool. I will add the feature you are describing to it :) As i said above i'm planning on doing some work to it by moving it to the All-In-One section so it will remove stuff from all the images you select and not just one at a time :(

Make sure you remove the components from all images, then it may shrink more... I'm planning on doing some work on the Component Removal :)

Did you mean from other windows versions from the image? If not I don't understand

edit: Can you give us link to your modified tweaker btw? I am trying to learn some stuff and experimenting with DISM, so I would really appreciate it.

Edited by Octopuss

EDIT: I have completed v1.3.3 which let's you use this tool on the current installed OS but not sure if it actually needs releasing...

Total amount of changes i've done

*the /m is no longer needed, will do the task by default

*fixed a bug where it did not work if there was a space in the mountpath.

*Win32Security.dll file is no longer needed

*Added new colours, errors are displayed in Red

*Fixed bug crashing at end of running

*Fixed bug where it cannot unmount registry if something fails

*Added specific component selection

*Fixed some other bugs

*Added an appropriate small icon for the app

Also normally you will have to put the specific component name i.e.

"/c Microsoft-Hyper-V-Common-Drivers-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.7601.17514"

but if for example you put "/c Microsoft-Hyper-V-Common-Drivers-Package" it will show all packages starting with that.

Top picture is on default run whilst bottom is a specific component.

Edited by Legolash2o

As posted on MSFN, i'm now on build v1.3.4 with more another bug fix.

Also, i've managed to get the Component Removal on All-In-One working so you can now remove packages from all Window versions in the image automatically, but it won't be visible until W7T 1.0.3 :)