Removing IE8, fully replacing with IE9

sirtex

So I don't bloat the original thread with too much OT chat:

Ref: http://www.wincert.n...ha/page__st__85

Can you explain how to integrate IE9?

IE9 is an.exe file. W7 Toolkit sees .msu files, but it does not see IE9 with.exe files. Therefore, cannot add IE9 in update section?

http://hotfix.chris1...t.Explorer.9.0/

I will also add this link to the 'Download' tab. EDIT: Done.

Will this hotfix remove all traces of IE8 when installing IE9, so I don't bloat my tiny SSD drive, or should I do that manually, or should I put in a tool request??

Thanks for your time!

I have tried dism but it does not delete anything
Thanks for the first hand experience!

I'm guessing an MS official tool would not; IE has been married to the OS... but somehow for Euro customers they made an exception? :huh:

Might have to find the DLLs/files/reg entries by hand...

A quick google link brings me this tip: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/150801-remove-ie8-from-windows-7-x64-sp1/

run this command twice from an command prompt (cmd.exe) with adminrights:

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*8.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

this should remove the IE8 files with the help of the command line.

But I guess you knew about this one ;). Have any luck with it? I guess a registery cleaner after installing IE9 might be needed if there are issues.

Also, it seems Revo Uninstaller does a good job, & perhaps Comodo. I don't think I want to install a big program just to get rid of another big program my 1st approach.

Any more advice?

cheers

If you use /get-packages you will see what appear to be entries you can use with /remove-packages...all seems to go well but when you do /get-packages again you will still see them

Microsoft-Windows-IE-Troubleshooters-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.1.7601.17514            	| Superseded | Language Pack   | 4/12/2011 2:24 AM
Microsoft-Windows-IE-Troubleshooters-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.7601.17514 | Superseded | Feature Pack | 11/20/2010 9:41 PM
Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-Optional-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~8.0.7601.17514 | Superseded | Language Pack | 4/12/2011 2:24 AM
Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-Optional-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~8.0.7601.17514 | Superseded | Feature Pack | 11/20/2010 9:41 PM

Try install_wim_tweak I notice it unhides some more ie8 entries