Adding non-integratable updates?

crashfly

According to the information I have, update KB2533552 is not integratable into a Windows 7 source. Short of using something like "setupcomplete.cmd" to run the file, how does one run this as a silent installer in W7T?

The way to run it is

%windir%\system32\wusa.exe %CDROM%\apps\Windows6.1-KB2533552-x64.msu /quiet

That is all well and good, yet you cannot do that in W7T without including the wusa.exe file. First, would that work? Second, if not, what other way can this update be added?

Windows 7 comes with WUSA.exe

I actually knew that, but to get around that limitation on your program, I was just wondering if it needed to be added to make it work.

Not sure about adding it with W7T as i can't access the code right now :(

I noticed the post you made about the computer trouble. I hope you can get it back up and running soon. As for W7T, maybe you could make a way to run files included with Win7 that would depend on the file in question. I suppose if you implemented something like that, people could also run installers that are run from INF files (since those would depend on the rundll file included in windows). It is an interesting proposition. I am sure you can make something of it when you get your computer back up and running.

According to the information I have, update KB2533552 is not integratable into a Windows 7 source. Short of using something like "setupcomplete.cmd" to run the file, how does one run this as a silent installer in W7T?

The way to run it is

%windir%\system32\wusa.exe %CDROM%\apps\Windows6.1-KB2533552-x64.msu /quiet

That is all well and good, yet you cannot do that in W7T without including the wusa.exe file. First, would that work? Second, if not, what other way can this update be added?

This could be done by the Silent installs + SFX I guess.

As for patches:

• KB2023591
  • KB2495879
  • KB2521168

How should we integrate these (cab files)?

Edited by GieltjE

Forget KB2521168 that is for Chinese

KB2023591 can go on the root of your dvd in the \support\\migwiz dir or in %WinDir%\System32\migwiz (both optional)

KB2495879 can go in your \sources folder of your dvd and also in boot.wim (if you mount and add a registry entry it will enable a special feature)

1. Run the following command to load the registry hive of the image:
    Reg load HKLM\test C:\Test\Offline\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE
  2. Open Registry Editor, and then locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Test\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WDSTPTC\SSM Note If the WDSTPTC\SSM subkey does not exist, you must manually create it.
  3. Under the SSM registry subkey, create a DWORD value, name it AllowSSM, and then set the value to 1.
  4. Exit Registry Editor.
  5. Run the following command to unload the registry hive of the image.
    Reg unload HKLM\test

• 3 weeks later...

I'm guessing i don't need to do anything for this request then?

Yes, could you modify the way silent installers run?

Personally, I think the easiest way to accomplish what I am proposing, would be to have an additional option (in the saved settings) that has the directory (or even a list of files) to include. The command line that was used to select the silent installer could instead be used to execute the necessary command that is run in the directory location from the install media.

The above is just to help facilitate the running of files/commands already included with Windows 7. Feel free to put it in a way that makes sense for you. I would l just like to have a command line that runs based on the file(s) selected. As previously mentioned, the two ways for that currently are for "rundll" and "wusa".

[in re-reading the above, yes I might be clear as mud. If you do not understand my thinking, just ask.]

[in re-reading the above, yes I might be clear as mud. If you do not understand my thinking, just ask.]

I don't know about Lego, but I'm lost. Could you give an example of your envisioned syntax, and also explain when in the install process these would run (beginning, end?) and what would trigger them?

Cheers and Regards

I don't know about Lego, but I'm lost. Could you give an example of your envisioned syntax, and also explain when in the install process these would run (beginning, end?) and what would trigger them?

Cheers and Regards

It is almost the same as what he has now. The main differences would be naming and how it works. (Pictures included.) Instead of "Filename", it should be named "Command Line" to be run from the directory the files are put in. The "Custom Name" could be better explained or renamed to "Task Name" since the task (when installed) and directory are named what is put in that text box. The "Install Switch" content can be moved to the "Command Line" and should be instead made to either select the specific install files (somewhat more complex) or just the directory all of those install files are in (probably easier as it is similar to what is already there. The "Copy Folder Contents" option can be removed if the file/directory selection is implemented.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit better. Here is an example of what the options would be

Command Line: %Systemroot%\system32\wusa.exe Windows6.1-KB2533552-x64.msu /quiet /norestart

Task Name: KB2533552

Install Directory: G:\Win7\silent_installers\KB2533552

The command line option could be done the same with inf files to be executed by rundll.

post-11322-0-04146900-1316846214_thumb.p

post-11322-0-25187200-1316846221_thumb.p

It is almost the same as what he has now. The main differences would be naming and how it works. (Pictures included.) Instead of "Filename", it should be named "Command Line" to be run from the directory the files are put in. The "Custom Name" could be better explained or renamed to "Task Name" since the task (when installed) and directory are named what is put in that text box. The "Install Switch" content can be moved to the "Command Line" and should be instead made to either select the specific install files (somewhat more complex) or just the directory all of those install files are in (probably easier as it is similar to what is already there. The "Copy Folder Contents" option can be removed if the file/directory selection is implemented.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit better. Here is an example of what the options would be

Command Line: %Systemroot%\system32\wusa.exe Windows6.1-KB2533552-x64.msu /quiet /norestart

Task Name: KB2533552

Install Directory: G:\Win7\silent_installers\KB2533552

The command line option could be done the same with inf files to be executed by rundll.

I'm guessing i don't need to do anything for this request then?

Detect KB2533552 and auto add it as a "silent install" would save a lot of people a headache I guess.

Edit: I seem to be unable to integrate KB2559049 as well for some reaon.

Edited by GieltjE

Detect KB2533552 and auto add it as a "silent install" would save a lot of people a headache I guess.

And it would still not clear up running silent installers that depend on a file included with the OS.

Edit: I seem to be unable to integrate KB2559049 as well for some reaon.

The reason it does not integrate is that IE9 is actually *not* a part of Win7 or Win7 SP1. You need to locate the most recent updated IE9 msu that includes all of the IE9 updates. I have one and it works just fine.

On future versions of W7T you can select the wusa.exe in system32 and it will work like normal i.e. it wont copy wusa.exe to dvd root and after install it will use "%Systemroot%\\system32\\Wusa.exe".

Same rule applies for anything in system32 folder.

Edited by Legolash2o

Same rule applies for anything in system32 folder.

Does this include such things as "rundll"? (And as a side note, would if matter if the inf file used by "rundll" is a 32-bit install? [or should that be sorted in the inf?])

I was using 1.3.0.48a, and was unable to add the msu file to the silent installers. I probably could have tried it the "old fashioned way" and put in the direct link to the file, but I am hoping that is not something I would have to do every time.

Tell me exactly what you did. Step-by-step with a few print screens please.

I should be more specific. Yes, I can add the "hotfix" as a silent installer, however to do that, I must use a file dialog trick (using "*.msu") to get the hotfix to show up. (Attached screen below.) To correct for that, you probably should make the extensions '*.exe, *.msi, *.msu, *.inf' (if you have included support for the inf installer).

No, I have not tested to make sure it works yet. However, that will be coming soon enough.

post-11322-0-84506700-1318304990_thumb.p

I've changed it so it will no longer work with the system32 method, you can however select msu files and it will install it. You don't have to enter syntax, it will auto install with /quiet /norestart

Just to be clear, you have only set W7T to additionally work with MSU files right? (Still hoping for INF files.)

Tell me the full command you use for inf files to install your info files.

Example:

rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx .\<file>.inf,,,4

Just to be clear, you have only set W7T to additionally work with MSU files right? (Still hoping for INF files.)

On v50, you just select the msu file like you would an exe and msi. On the picture you attached above it shows "Application *.exe,*.msi" it will not say "Application *.exe,*.msi,*.msu"

Edited by Legolash2o