Win XP keeps crashing then restarting

glenis

Just finished building my new spec pc with the latest bits, and now windows XP keeps crashing.

Sometimes the screen just goes blank then after about 10 secs it restarts itself.

Sometimes the blue screen of death appears for a second then the computer reboots everytime.

Always takes about 5 attempts to get into windows after rebooting.....!

Its so unstable now

it says 'detected new hardware' for an unknown device, so i tried disabling it to no effect :(

AMD 4600+ dual core processor

Gigabit Mobo M57SLi-S4 Socket AM2

550w PSU

2GB DDR2 6400 RAM

Creative XI-FI soundcard

XFX 8800GTS PCI-E graphics card

SATA hard drive

IDE DVD-RW drive

Glenis, you don't have to reply to your own post if you have something to add. You can just edit the original post of yours.

As for the topic issue, this XP installation was clean and full, not nLited?

yes it was a clean install of windows XP off my retail version disc of XP home 'version 2002'

then installed SP2 and the updates

Did this started to happen right after you've installed windows, or after you've installed drivers or apps.

Another question would be, what kind of PSU do you have, I see you have 550W PSU, but that doesn't have to mean "pure power" of it.

It could be memory also, try using only one module (1GB), just for a test, so we can see what happens then..

power supply info:

"This Power supply is highly popular with its attractive fan and high reliabilty.

It comes with 20+4 pin connector and SATA"

Braided cable for tidier case/Better Airflow

Comes with SATA Connector and 20 - 24 Pin Converter

New Version 1.3/Ver.2.03

Silent and better ventiliation

ATX 12V compliant for all kinds of CPU and mainboard

Input voltage: 115VAC or 230VAC or 115VAC/230VAC

MTBF 50,000 Hours @ 25 degrees

Cable Connectors:

20+4Pin Power Connector

6x Molex

1x SATA

ATX12V P4

PCI-Express Power Connector

Rail Stats:

+3.3V +5V +12V -5V -12V +5VSB

28A 35A 30A 0.5A 0.8A 2.5A

i dont know where my 'session.ini' file is...

so it definitely has to be either heat or RAM, that sure does narrow it down fast

sometimes on boot up it says

'update DMI pool data success'

sometimes also mentions K8N or something at the beginning, sounds like a old motherboard i had (MSI K8N)

even when i havent changed anything....

would clearing the CMOS do anything beneficial?

Edited by N1K

seems like the RAM was the problem

took one out, and now its down to 1GB and its running fine

maybe i had the RAM in the wrong socket, as there are 4 sockets. 2 are one colour, and 2 are another colour....

Yes it's probably dual DDR memory. Try to put the two memory modules in two slots with the same color. Probably 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 slots..

• 1 month later...

Whoa! You shouldn't have put one RAM in one color and the other RAM in the other color. Bad idea.

* Are you experienced in system building? I don't want to insult you by assuming you are not. If not, do you know what type of RAM you are using?

* One color is most probably for DDR2 slots and the other color for DDR slots. Look at your MOBO specs. Does it support both DDR and DDR2? For example, mine does support both and Yellow is for DDR2 and Blue is for DDR. You cannot place DDR2 RAM in DDR slots and DDR RAM in DDR2 slots.

* Are both RAMS from the same manufacturer? If not, then I agree with the rest of the guys here - it's probably your RAM. I had similar problems with Windows crashing with Kingston RAM. Replaced it and it works fine. If they are from the same manufacturer with the same specs, then it is still possible - it may be a faulty stick.

Try this website, it's the best memory checker out there.

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Download the "Pre Compiled Bootable ISO.ZIP

Create a CD from the ISO files in the Zip

Boot from the CD and let it run. If you see and "RED" errors in the bottom section you have bad memory. You can usually figure out which stick is bad by the memory location.

The best way is to run the memory in single chips to figure out which one is bad.

My first post on WinCert, regular on many other forums.

Nice site, very informative.