The Little Things

Eric666

Keyboard shortcuts:

When W7T first launches, focus is on "Check for W7T Updates" which {Spacebar|Enter} will select. This is probably the best starting point, but if you then try to navigate using {Tab|down arrow|left arrow} or {Shift Tab|up arrow|rightarrow}, you don't quite go where you expect to go. ie up or down aren't always visually up or down. The current Tab order is: (arrow keys only navigate between buttons)

Check for W7T Updates > Windows 7 Toolkit Guide > W7T Options > About > Forum > Donate > Welcome Tab ({right arrow|left arrow} navigate tabs) > Highlights all Welcome tab text (arrow keys then let you scroll anywhere in tab text) > Show 'Welcome' tab on next startup > Check for W7T Updates

Buttons are now in the correct tab

When buttons or Show 'Welcome' have focus, Spacebar acts like left mouse click.

When buttons have focus, Enter acts like left mouse click.

This is default, it's Windows that sets it not me

Alt key will show (by underlining) the alphabetic key that will "launch" that button, (doesn't work for Tab navigation) but it's always the first letter of the button label. Since more than one button have the same first letter, this is not always useful.

When a new window is launched, like W7T Options, the only way to close the window using the keyboard is via Alt F4 or Alt Spacebar for other options.

You can now tab to the bottom bar options.

For W7T Options, Tab order is currently:

Main tab ({left arrow|right arrow} navigate between tabs) > Select your language > options ({up arrow|down arrow} navigate between options) > Main tab

I've sorted out the tab index's for both tabs

But when in options, it starts with focus on Misc - Auto Save and Unmount (AIO), which is out of view, rather than at the top of the option list. {Up arrow|down arrow} navigate and Spacebar checks or unchecks. But as you navigate you also navigate to the subsection headings, which highlight all options in that subsection, which is a waste since you can't check or uncheck them all at once. While options have focus the scroll wheel will scroll the options up and down.

There is no way to navigate to the "Apply Settings, "Undo Changes", or "Close without Saving" that I have found without using the mouse.

You can now tab to the bottom bar options.

I won't go through all the various tabs and windows, but you get the idea of what I'm trying to say. "Fixing" Tab order and Alt behavior will really make using W7T a lot more convenient and quicker for us old timers or anyone who is a keyboard junkie and is not hooked on the new fangled contraption they call a "mouse". LOL

All this is pretty much standard, built-in Windows behavior, which could be a little more useful if fully implemented and visually consistent. It's a pain, I know, to force or disable Tab order as appropriate, but since you want to make it perfect...

You might also want to move the Check for W7T Updates button to the top button.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by Legolash2o

Done the majority of those, not going to do the last one as that requires going through all the pages. However the tab problem effects you badly in the future, feel free to mentioned it in here :P

I won't do it unless specified, because i'm lazy and i've got work soon :D

However i will fix the hotkeys for AIO (where you can press Ctrl+a for select all, etc..)

Edited by Legolash2o

Keyboard shortcuts:

When buttons or Show 'Welcome' have focus, Spacebar acts like left mouse click.

When buttons have focus, Enter acts like left mouse click.

This is default, it's Windows that sets it not me

Yes I know. Just mentioned it here for those that didn't know.

...not going to do the last one as that requires going through all the pages.

...I won't do it unless specified, because i'm lazy

LOL I'm lazy, too. That's why I didn't go through all the pages either. But I guess if you're willing to fix them, I ought to be willing to point them out.

Edited by bphlpt

About disappearing Taskbar icon... for me it happens when I create ISO and click OK on the completion notice while the main window is behind other windows. I accidentally killed W7T a few times by Task Manager before noticing that the program window is still open in the background.

Edited by Legolash2o

I also have two suggestions:

1. In the ISO Maker, why not naming the iso automatically as the ISO Label + Disk at the end? Also there is a glitch... if I chose the name of the ISO to be the same as the name of the folder, when I press save, instead of keeping that ISO name it goes inside the folder, and the name I gave dissapears.

The why not, for example, naming automatically an ISO 7Ultimatex64Disk that has the 7Ultimatex64 ISO Label, and also if the location of that foldet is C:\7Ultimatex64, then the location of the ISO should be C:\7Ultimatex64Disk automatically (and not inside the C:\7Ultimatex64 folder)...

2. As you can see here, if I choose load a previous preset, I can only load all presets. So if my updates preset included an old version of Solor's updates, I have to wait for W7T to load them all, then erase them all, and then load again the ones in the updates folder (including those updated). Wouldn't be a good ideea to give the users the choice to load only some presets (ex: only services and tweaks) instead of all? A box that can be ticked for each category of presets (tweaks, updates, etc) would be great...

I also have two suggestions:

1. In the ISO Maker, why not naming the iso automatically as the ISO Label + Disk at the end?

2. Also there is a glitch... if I chose the name of the ISO to be the same as the name of the folder, when I press save, instead of keeping that ISO name it goes inside the folder, and the name I gave dissapears.

The why not, for example, naming automatically an ISO 7Ultimatex64Disk that has the 7Ultimatex64 ISO Label, and also if the location of that foldet is C:\7Ultimatex64, then the location of the ISO should be C:\7Ultimatex64Disk automatically (and not inside the C:\7Ultimatex64 folder)...

3. As you can see here, if I choose load a previous preset, I can only load all presets. So if my updates preset included an old version of Solor's updates, I have to wait for W7T to load them all, then erase them all, and then load again the ones in the updates folder (including those updated). Wouldn't be a good ideea to give the users the choice to load only some presets (ex: only services and tweaks) instead of all? A box that can be ticked for each category of presets (tweaks, updates, etc) would be great...

1. I'll see what i can do :)

2. That's default Windows behavior when you name a file same as a folder, it's like that with all window save dialogs...

3. I'll see what i can do, no guarantees though

Edited by Legolash2o

Hi,

Another thing I just realized: Component Remover now shows the package 'State' but I did not find much explanation for the states. I've looked it up, states are introduced with v60, but the related forum threads do not explicitly describe their meaning. Could this be done in the CR Help? Or should I just start a new thread in W7T Guides or Requests? There is a lot of knowledgeable people around who might give advisory on what to remove and more important: what to leave untouched if you want to use a certain feature [i recall a thread mentioning leaving Windows Music samples untouched if you want to use Windows Experience index for example].

Regards, Eric666

If you mean the 'Installed', Pending Install', Pending Uninstall, etc... then i think they are pretty self-explanatory.

Shouldnt it be: "Pending Installation" & "Pending Uninstallation" or "Install Pending" & "Uninstall Pending" ...

(English isnt my main language, but those terms look a bit strange to me...)

Edited by Etz

I meant those indeed. But since I'm not in the installation business I was just curious what they actually mean. Some of them give the impression that the current working system is checked against the CR packages and the differences are listed. That's probably not the case... I just do not know e.g. the difference between staged and pending. I guess the W7 installation is first fully completed and afterwards all Pending operations are done? And that Installed means it's there right away? But staged? No clue....

Regards, Eric666

Hi Liam,

the sequence of the drivers which have to be installed is not the same when I import my "last session.ini". It is important for me because I want to be installed for example the AHCI/RAID-Drivers first and at last the AMD-graka's. I hope you know what I mean. The SFX-Addons are always integrated in the same sequence which I have before determined.

Regards

v74

Edited by Legolash2o

The tweak "show explorer status bar" doesn't work, after manually inserting:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"StatusBarOther"=dword:00000001

It works though.

"Show IE statusbar" needs an extra setting for internet explorer 9 to work (in addition to http://www.wincert.n...9072-statusbar/ ):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MINIE]
"ShowStatusBar"=dword:00000001

The "WIM Registry Editor" isn't resizable and doesn't show the bottom option (SAM): (v74)

test.jpg

It also says "W7T was not able to mount the wim file", when I load a hive, unload it and try to load another hive. (v74)

Edited by Legolash2o

I noticed the location of the Autounattend file is not saved in the .ini anymore.

Also, previously I could have two different installers under the same name, for example both x86 & x64 installers of VC++ Runtimes. Now it seems only the first entry of the two is loaded from the .ini.

v74, you will have to re-save your presets as the issue was with saving the location of the xml file.

Edited by Legolash2o

v.73 released, basically responding to what the error logs have been saying, W7T will no longer give you the anti-virus prompt and if you use Force Unmount, it will check if an image has been mounted to it because because are just selecting any odd random folder i.e. the DVD for some strange reason.

I noticed the location of the Autounattend file is not saved in the .ini anymore.

Also, previously I could have two different installers under the same name, for example both x86 & x64 installers of VC++ Runtimes. Now it seems only the first entry of the two is loaded from the .ini.

I'm assuming this is when loading a preset?

v.73 released, basically responding to what the error logs have been saying, W7T will no longer give you the anti-virus prompt and if you use Force Unmount, it will check if an image has been mounted to it because because are just selecting any odd random folder i.e. the DVD for some strange reason.

I'm assuming this is when loading a preset?

Yes, when loading preset...

Under options Checkbox stays checked, but file path isnt listed.

Also I still have that strange checkbox issue under tweaks...that if i change anything, i have to check those boxes twice.

You fixed it in Unattended Creator, maybe you can fix it there too?

Edited by Etz

Fixed the unattended issue, it was not a problem with loading the value but when it was saving it so you will have to re-save your presets.

The tweaks list issue, is it only certain tweaks that do this, give an example please.

Basically on all tweaks, where you can insert something or choose something.

Couple of examples: Change Registered Owner, Change Organization. CMD Text, Control panel View, etc...

Doesnt happen when youre starting clean, but always occures, if that tweak already has a "value" and you change it afterwards or reinsert that very same "value" ...

Edited by Etz

Have you tried using the latest version? I just fixed an issue where 'Change Organization' always displays 'Home and that some do not load your previous value (blank)

v72B had this...

v73B havent tested yet.

As you mention, I remember seeing that Home "thingy", but thought that its something in my preset and unattended.xml causing it... :P

Edited by Etz