Solor Update Confusion

compstuff

I'm just now starting to experiment with this awesome program and even after reading the forum posts I am confused with a few issues so I hope to get some advice.

I am trying to start slowly with just integrating Solor's updates including LDR and additions in an x64 enterprise version.

I checked the LDR option and continue with the AIO

I downloaded Solors x64 MSU hotfixes and when I add them with the AIO the following hotfixes flag an error and state that they will be automatically added as silent installs.

Windows6.1-KB2533552-x64

Windows6.1-KB2603229-x64

Am I doing something wrong?

I downloaded the LDR PlaceHolders which I don't quite understand the "placeholder" terminology and they all seem to install.

I downloaded the "Integrate to installation media" hotfix cabs:

Windows6.1-KB2023591-x64.cab

Windows6.1-KB2495879-x64.cab

Windows6.1-KB2521168-x64.cab

They all fail and won't install... am I doing something wrong?

I downloaded the IIS Hotfixes and they seem to install fine

I downloaded the IE9 files both x86 and x64 but only the x64 will install. Since the x86 version is the default how do we update both versions offline in the source?

I'm sure I willhave more questions but thanks very much for this tool and all your hard work

LDR placeholders are old superseded 'LDR only' hotfixes that are merely integrated to force the superseding GDR+LDR update in the main folder to install the LDR and not the default GDR branch. You dont have to integrate them if you use the QFE/LDR Mode in w7t

The integrate into installation media you simply extract them and overwrite the files on the dvd "install media"

The ie9 x64 update has both the x86 and x64 files, you only need to integrate the one

The integrate into installation media you simply extract them and overwrite the files on the dvd "install media"

How do I install the LDR branch after installing all Solor's updates in the main folder.

How do I extract it?

I would like to test it since I never touch the "placerholder" folder.

LDR placeholders are old superseded 'LDR only' hotfixes that are merely integrated to force the superseding GDR+LDR update in the main folder to install the LDR and not the default GDR branch. You dont have to integrate them if you use the QFE/LDR Mode in w7t

The ie9 x64 update has both the x86 and x64 files, you only need to integrate the one

Hi Rick,

We know each casually from from other forums and I always appreciate your assistance...

So to keep things simple as long as I am updating my SoLoR source files using W7T and I have the QFE/LDR option checked then I am good to go and only need to determine additions that I want to add?

What about the other two files that automatically became self installers... is that normal and expected?

The rest of your info is clear and I will experiment further before my next set of questions... THANKS

Thank Kel... I see you're here also :-)

Thanks Rick... I am going to use IE9

I am trying my first build now and will do an install on a dell laptop for testing... I'm sure I will have more questions :-)

He is asking about those couple of hotfixes that don't integrate well so lego automatically has them being added as silent installers when selected...

YES it is normal.

I just updated to the latest version and took a look at the SoLoR updates again. I noticed the folder column and then did some further checking and it all became crystal clear to me :-) ..W7T handles thse updates AWESOME and of course SoLoR's work is also incredible as well! Thanks for the tool and thanks for the help.

On the Tools tab there is an Update Installer, you can use that to install updates on your current OS.

I mean on an offline image...

So on an offline image after integrating all solor's update on main folder, how do I integrate the kb's on the "placerholder" folder or do I need to integrate the one on the "placerholder" folder first then the main folder...

If you use that option you dont need to integrate the ldr placeholders, w7t will extract and force integrate the ldr branch of the update (by pointing dism to the *bf.mum)

The ldr placeholders are only needed if you do a normal install or waik integration

A bit confused...

So after loading all the updates in the main folder of solor's update in the AIO tool, to force the ldr branch as well, I need to check the options "LDR-QFE Mode" and have integrate in one run...

I read this whole thread but I didn't see anyone say what to do about the 3 .cab files from solor's update pack that get an error when you try to add them.

It actually in the very first response... you extract them and add them to the DVD by overwriting the exisiting files

Also, what is LDR-QFE?

There is a lot of other info on here about this and also Rick's link help explain and even a general google search will explain more than I can

It actually in the very first response... you extract them and add them to the DVD by overwriting the exisiting files

Hmm, ok thanks. I was unsure what he meant with that, and I'm still a little confused - for example: the first cab file Windows6.1-KB2023591-x64.cab, when I open it there are 4 files inside, 2 of the files are found in a sub folder of the extracted installation disk: Win7 x64 ultimate +SP1\support\migwiz but the other two exe files are found nowhere on the installation disk. I guess I just put all 4 files into the \support\migwiz subfolder?

Usually when you make extractions like this the files inside the compressed folder will be in the subfolders they're supposed to go into(eg: the 4 files in the .cab would be in subfolders with the same names - \support\migwiz, so I'm not quite sure.