integrating windows 7 logon screens

vampyr07au

I am not sure about w7t but you can customize your logon screen using this application: http://browse.devian...rkshop#/d4dvvj3

but that is only on installed OS. But if you wish to integrate in the pre-install environment, you need to edit imageres.dll of system32 and syswow64 folder of install.wim

yeah i can do it post install already ... its the pre-install environment that i wanted .... i have all the windows dvd copied to my hard drive ready to recreate my installer dvd however i can't find the imageres.dll that you are talking about.

yeah i can do it post install already ... its the pre-install environment that i wanted .... i have all the windows dvd copied to my hard drive ready to recreate my installer dvd however i can't find the imageres.dll that you are talking about.

If you have WAIK installed, just mount the install.wim and then go to "mount folder\Windows\System32" (if your os is x86) or "mount folder\windows\syswow64" (if your OS is x64) there you can find imageres.dll. You need to change the image no 5031 to 5043 of imageres.dll, you can use restorator for editing imageres.dll.

Edited by nice_guy75

If you have WAIK installed, just mount the install.wim and then go to "mount folder\Windows\System32" (if your os is x86) or "mount folder\windows\syswow64" (if your OS is x64) there you can find imageres.dll. You need to change the image no 5031 to 5043 of imageres.dll, you can use restorator for editing imageres.dll.

thanks ... so after that do i just save the wim again ?

i have been using w7toolkit to mount the wim so far ... i found the files .... just not sure how i'm supposed to keep the changed files ....

i assume that i would copy n paste the edited files into the mounted folder and then save the wim ?

i don't understand what's going on .... I have mounted the image using imagex as per the instructions that come in the help file for WAIK ... it's mounted with read/write capabilities ... yet I cannot replace a file in the mounted folder with my edited file ...

the help file says that i can mount it with read/write permissions and then i can copy and replace existing files and then i unmount the image after appending the changes

Edited by vampyr07au

You need to "takeowner ship" and remove the imageres.dll and copy your customized file inside install.wim mounted image and boot.wim 2 mounted image!

Mounted_Folder\Windows\System32\imageres.dll

Example using batch file:

@echo off
CMD /C TAKEOWN /F %Mounted_Folder%\Windows\System32\imageres.dll && ICACLS %Mounted_Folder%\Windows\System32\imageres.dll /grant *S-1-5-32-544:F
Copy /Y "%~dp0imageres.dll" "%Mounted_Folder%\Windows\System32\imageres.dll"

(needed for install.wim and boot.wim 2)!

Cheers

Edited by myselfidem

You need to takeownership and remove the imageres.dll and copy your customized file inside install.wim mounted image and boot.wim 2 mounted image!

Mounted_Folder\Windows\System32\imageres.dll (for install.wim and boot.wim 2)!

so I need to take ownership first ?

and i need to edit the files in both wims?

the help file does not say anything about ahving to take ownership ... it says to do this:

imagex /mountrw d:\imaging\data.wim 2 c:\mounted_images

which will then give you read/write access to the files ... which to me says that i can change the files and save them over again inside the wim (thats what write access is)

I think the reason for needing to take ownership is this. Just because you have write access to the mounted image might not mean you can then write that revised image back replacing the original. I could have misunderstood the situation, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Cheers and Regards

Oops...Sorry bphlpt and vampyr07au !

After a new test, I see it's not needed to use takeown with ImageX.exe with /mountrw to change files!

But when we use Dism.exe we need to use takeown to change files inside the mounted image!

It makes a long time I haven't use ImageX.exe. Sorry again

Edited by myselfidem

thanks ... so after that do i just save the wim again ?

i have been using w7toolkit to mount the wim so far ... i found the files .... just not sure how i'm supposed to keep the changed files ....

i assume that i would copy n paste the edited files into the mounted folder and then save the wim ?

I tested W7T130-98RC successfully and after mounting the install.wim image you can replace the dll's you want inside your temp folder opened.

After select "Unmount" and "Save Image" (or "Save and Rebuild Image") to keep your changes.

Do the same for: Microsoft Windows Setup (x86) (or amd64) = boot.wim 2

Edited by myselfidem