FAN EXCESSIVE NOISE

VITOLIER

Have replaced on my TOSHIBA laptop U205 (5 years old) OS from Vista to WIN 7 home premium 32-bit, as well as hard disk to solid state drive 120GB OCZ Agility 3. So far good results, runs fast but FAN DEVELOPS STRONG SPIINING NOISE in stand-still mode or sporadically on and off.

What could be the reason?

My Qosmio G35 has the same problem, it makes allot of noise

The monitor and keyboard no longer work so I have it connected to a external monitor and keyboard, since the keyboard was not being used I took that off for more air flow and the fan does not go nuts as much as before

So you can try one of those laptop cooler things see if that reduces the amount of times the fan goes berserk

If the difference in noise just began when you updated to Win7, it could also be a power preference setting

difference.

Cheers and Regards

I suspect power preference setting may be the cause. It happend after installing WIN7.

Thanks for the advice.

My Qosmio G35 has the same problem, it makes allot of noise

The monitor and keyboard no longer work so I have it connected to a external monitor and keyboard, since the keyboard was not being used I took that off for more air flow and the fan does not go nuts as much as before

So you can try one of those laptop cooler things see if that reduces the amount of times the fan goes berserk

Thanks for the advice and will consider after " power preference setting " has been looked into.

• 3 years later...

I just discovered that the fan on my 3 year old laptop is dead. I dont use the laptop that much, maybe 3 to 4 hours a day. Should I bother replacing the fan or buy a new laptop?

Specs

Toshiba L305-S5968

Intel Pentium T4200

3 GB Memory

320 GB HD

Vista Home Premium

Is it at all possible that it is just severely clogged?  If you are comfortable doing so, I would suggest trying to take the laptop as far apart as you can and try to clean out any "dust bunnys" that you might find,  Then take a can of compressed air and thoroughly blow out every nook and cranny.  Then see if you can make the fan move at all either using the compressed air or your finger, if it is such that you can reach it,  You can check out this guide for specifically cleaning the fan - L305-s5968 Laptop Fan & Heatsink Installation Replacement Guide. If the fan really is shot, you can get a replacement fairly inexpensively, probably less than US $30 - IPARTS CPU Cooling Fan for Toshiba Satellite L305-S5968.  So if the laptop's capability meets your needs, then it seems cleaning and replacing the fan if necessary should be significantly cheaper than buying a new laptop.  But if the laptop doesn't meet your needs, ... :)

Cheers and Regards