v1.4.0 Sneak Peek

Legolash2o

So you mean adding 2 folders to the ISO?

I mean I can add folder/s of my choice in the ISO coming from different location... Let's say the folders being captured is in C:WinSP1 and I want to add three folders from E:\Tools to be included in the ISO... ;)

The only way i would be able to do it if i got W7T to copy the other folders to the same as the 1st and then make an image of that entire folder.

E:\Win7ISO

E:\Tools

It would copy Tools to the Win7ISO Folder then make an image.

Yes that's exactly... but we can have it push it as a request since we're nearing version 1.4.0 and we're avoiding additional bugs... :)

Anyway I can do it manually, its just merely a convenience...

n.b. Is there still available slot for 1.4.0 Alpha Tester...? :rolleyes:

Edited by Cipherfx2

Although you already have the option to include your own registry file, I think you could just scrap the whole section all together and just leave it for the user to find their own tweaks. (Also tends to be less for you to debug.) As an alternative, you could split that whole tab off into a "helper" program that would "build" a registry file for the user. Then that would allow the user to add additional tweaks if they wanted. Just a couple of ides for you.

I was hoping to move to the idea where everyone would add their own tweaks but i also wanted to provide some basic tweaks. The alternative idea seems too complicated. :(

Does anyone know which tweaks to get rid off, the ones you dont think people will use?

I still think the collection of tweaks is very useful, otherwise one has to roam the internet for quite some time to gather from scattered sources.

Presentation could be done in multiple tabs in stead of one page with sections. The section subdivision itself seems alright, IMO. The very last tab could contain an option to import (and maybe validate) someone's own registry items.

Regards, Eric666

I agree with Eric's idea of a tabbed system and also agree that the current assortment of tweaks is useful (I use about 50 of them when building my image) then again this is all personal preference. The use of tabs and then perhaps further division of the tweaks into more defined categories would make the utility more usable.

Thinking about it a bit more, I would also suggest to expand use of (sub)tabs for other Main tabs in AIO-tool (and maybe other tools too?). It would give a cleaner look for 'busy' pages, like the Component Removal and maybe Services. The other main tabs are more dynamic i.e. to be filled by the user for his/her particular needs. E.g. some people integrate tons of drivers, others use none. Same goes for Solor's updates, those are a bit hard to separate into tabs, unless the category (source folder on server) is also taken into account

Regards, Eric666

No, more like when opening the AIO tool and going to the tweaks tab, it would have a set of subtabs, each with a category like Startup/Shutdown which are now on one page in sections. Just to reduce the need for scrolling up and down (which I find annoying sometimes). I realize this is not easy for user-filled tabs like Drivers / Wallpapers etc, because the content can vary heavily and there may not be a distinct feature to easily separate into subtabs. But for tabs with more or less fixed content, like tweaks and component removal, it might give a tidier look.

Your idea of Basic and Advanced can also be of use. Another thought is even to be able to hide tabs that you're not using; e.g. I never use Themes, Gadgets, Wallpapers, so I'd rather not see them. You've already implemented such feature in W7T Main form. I'm not sure if this can be done for individual tabs?

Regards, Eric666

Edited by Eric666

No, more like when opening the AIO tool and going to the tweaks tab, it would have a set of subtabs, each with a category like Startup/Shutdown which are now on one page in sections. Just to reduce the need for scrolling up and down (which I find annoying sometimes). I realize this is not easy for user-filled tabs like Drivers / Wallpapers etc, because the content can vary heavily and there may not be a distinct feature to easily separate into subtabs. But for tabs with more or less fixed content, like tweaks and component removal, it might give a tidier look.

Oh i knew what you mean't for the tweaks tab.

Your idea of Basic and Advanced can also be of use. Another thought is even to be able to hide tabs that you're not using; e.g. I never use Themes, Gadgets, Wallpapers, so I'd rather not see them. You've already implemented such feature in W7T Main form. I'm not sure if this can be done for individual tabs?

Regards, Eric666

I've done a quick mock-up of what i mean't :P

Not sure about hiding tabs, i was also thinking of maybe turn components list in a TreeView (like vLite) where you can expand/collapse the groups. When you first open AIO you see the list of last presets and you can expand for more detail, etc... that's a TreeView. I suppose the same could be done for Tweaks, but it could take weeks. :unsure:

Edited by Legolash2o

I really like that none of the tab's names are hidden in the picture above no matter what tab you are on. That arrangement really helps keep me from losing things or forgetting about a tab.

When you get around to updating the help files, I would suggest as one of the first pages an outline of all the steps involved in making a build in a logical suggested order. Actually probably two outlines. One for the very basic typical minimum steps and another for an advanced full blown mod and build. In both cases the outline steps could then link to pages with detailed information about how to do that step. Those pages could also have basic and advanced versions. Kind of like the difference between Nero Express and Nero Burning ROM. Yes I know that the beauty of W7T is that you can pretty much do things in the order you want and leave out many of the steps if you want as well. But the wealth of choices and potential steps can overwhelm a new user. They see the tool and say "What do I do first?" Then if a checklist could pop up when they're ready to build, which they can optionally hide once they're comfortable with the process, that could give them a sense of reassurance and a chance to say "Crap, I forgot to do ...!" Just a suggestion.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

I really like that none of the tab's names are hidden in the picture above no matter what tab you are on. That arrangement really helps keep me from losing things or forgetting about a tab.

When you get around to updating the help files, I would suggest as one of the first pages an outline of all the steps involved in making a build in a logical suggested order. Actually probably two outlines. One for the very basic typical minimum steps and another for an advanced full blown mod and build. In both cases the outline steps could then link to pages with detailed information about how to do that step. Those pages could also have basic and advanced versions. Kind of like the difference between Nero Express and Nero Burning ROM.

Yes I know that the beauty of W7T is that you can pretty much do things in the order you want and leave out many of the steps if you want as well. But for a new user, the wealth of choices and potential steps can overwhelm a new user. They see the tool and say "What do I do first?" Then if a checklist could pop up when they're ready to build, which they can optionally hide once they're comfortable with the process, that could give them a sense of reassurance and a chance to say "Crap, I forgot to do ...!" Just a suggestion.

Cheers and Regards

I'll create a basic guide for AIO and also an advanced one.

-----------

This is what i was thinking about for the component screen, the 'information window' would display the name, package name, size, description (what it is and what it does) and dependencies. Again.. the same thing could be done to tweaks...

The last screen from the post above is just WOW. The same concept applied to the tweaks section will probably help ALOT. It's the same interface as in nlite / vlite.

However, in tweaks section some categories have MANY tweaks, like Internet Explorer. Maybe something like Internet Explorer Basic, Internet Explorer Advanced etc will be better, aka dividing those heavy categoies into mini-categories. :)

Indeed very nLite/vLite and very attractive. I suppose also here the normal paradigm for tree nodes is planned? Like empty nodes when nothing is selected, grey node when partial selection is done etc.

Regards, Eric666

Edit: Rica's idea for downsizing of some sections is good. Otherwise we will still suffer from lack of overview....

Edited by Eric666