Online driver Installer can be run during windows installation process

RicaNeaga

A simple feedback for the current pnputil online driver installer in 1.4.0.8 - it doesn't work. :( It doesn't even install one driver or an entire folder... not to mention selecting only the needed drivers (present on the system).

Strange, not working for me neither. Infact its not even trying to integrate the drivers. fixing now...

EDIT: Fixed!

Edited by Legolash2o

Now it's working (online driver installer), however it installs all the drivers selected, and not ONLY those needed for the system.

Also, two glitches - a windows like this appears after each installed driver, so I have to check ok 65 times for 65 drivers, and also the red warning window ''are you sure you want to install this unsigned driver bla bla'' appeared one time.

Edited by Legolash2o

About pnputil vs. dpinst, and how to make pnputil install only the needed drivers (present on the system), I hope ricktendo will give his enthusiast / educated opinion on this... :)

About the unsigned drivers, apparently one option is through gpedit (not present in 7 starter/basic/premium versions) - see here. And maybe a better one is this. You'll know better :)

Edited by RicaNeaga

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, let me rephrase my request after ricktendo & Mr_Smartepants intervensions, after seeing and updated version of your Driver Installer Tool, and after re-thinking the unsigned drivers problem - I've eliminated this sub-request since I've seen how having such drivers can generate BSOD's during boot (Microsoft's usual paranoia).

So, for the current Driver Installer tool:

1. Make the current's Driver Installer Tool default option to install ONLY the needed drivers (present on the system). So drvinst is the only option; please keep the current ''secundary'' options to install ALL, and also to just copy them.

2. The current Driver Installer Tool needs to be idiot-proof - the uninstall section must skip by default adding to the present-on-the-system drivers list (driverstore list) those that are needed by the system, and have an advanced option to add all the drivers.

For the new requested Online Driver Installer (that runs during windows installation process):

3. Make an option in AIO so that the ONLINE (NEW) DRIVER Installer (not AIO's DISM one) can run automatically (through W7T Runonce) before finalizing windows setup, with the ONLY option to install ONLY the needed drivers from a folder on the disk - who wants many drivers integrated in the offline image has DISM.

I really hope a different kind of W7T Runonce can be run before the start of the second phase of windows installation, but first logon is also an option; For example Driverpacks tool for xp installs the drivers BEFORE the start of the second phase of windows installation, so before windows installation process installs the drivers needed on the system.

4. Make an option in ISO Maker to add a folder to the root of the iso / dvd (aka copy the drivers folder, that is detected by the W7T runonce and after it will install ONLY the needed drivers from that folder).

Edited by RicaNeaga

I accomplish this same goal by adding the call to my SAD2 script to the sources\$oem$\$$\Setup\scripts\setupcomplete.cmd

@ECHO off & setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion
SET "LOGFILE=%systemdrive%\install.log"
for %%i in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\sources\install.wim set CDROM=%%i:
ECHO>>"%LOGFILE%" 2>>&1 Found CD-Rom as drive %CDROM%

REM :: Snip... ::

:Drivers
Start "" /max /separate %comspec% /c %CDROM%\SAD2\DP_Install_Tool.cmd /s

::all processing finished, delete used files, and EXIT::
:CLEANUP
IF EXIST %windir%\Setup\scripts RD /S /Q %windir%\Setup\scripts >nul
endlocal
DEL /F /Q %0% >nul
:EOF

This process takes place after the main install is complete but prior to the first login.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

This process takes place after the main install is complete but prior to the first login.

Great! It would be ideal however to install those drivers earlier, before windows setup second part checks for the hardware devices and installs the needed drivers. Hope Kelsenellenelvian can help on this one, if it's possible to call such a tool during that period of windows 7 install process. :)

Why not have a drivers folder or whatever somewhere, after first boot WinToolkit RunOnce will scan all the inf files for devices which match your computer and then next to each one th user can select install OR add and the. Processes go.

Drivers have an ID which are also in the inf files so they can be used

Yeah, totally acceptable, I was thinking to somehow mimic the driverpack tool for xp, that deploys before the second phase of windows install process, as I consider it to be close to perfection.

But the same process during first logon, as you've said now, it's the way I firstly considered this, via Win Toolkit Runonce, as it's probably easier to implement.

So I would be glad if this would be the current way the online driver integrator works, and if at some point someone would give you an idea about how to implement it before the second phase of win 7 install process, that's going to be perfect. :)

During the PE stage of Win7 install, after the install.wim has been extracted to the target drive, the OS is still in an "offline" state, so dpinst wouldn't be effective.

I wonder if the first boot phase can be interrupted before the setupcomplete.cmd phase for driver injection into the now "online" OS?

I'd be very interested to know how this can be achieved!

*Edit

This article has lots of driver-related info for both PE and OS loads.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2686316

Edited by Mr_Smartepants