Windows 7 Toolkit v1.4.0.x Feedback / Issues / Bugs

RicaNeaga

Maybe such a thread is needed, as it will help wincert members not to start a new thread each time they've found a bug / issue in the W7T app. :)

I'll start with a very small description issue of the system tweak Don't allow windows to turn off devices - This makes sure that windows does not turn off devices to save enable - the last word should be power. :) Done.

Edited by Legolash2o

But i'd rather them start a new thread, that way i can deal with them individually and mark them as [solved] obviously if a user has the same problem as some else then they can join in the topic :P

Edited by Legolash2o

For build 15 (1.4.0.15), I have some further feedback. I'm using probably the best tweaking / system optimising tool out there for live systems - TuneUp Utilities 2012 12.0.3010.5 (latest version). I wanted to see if I can add some suplimentary tweaks to my build from the recommendations of this app.

First, only a observation regarding a tweak - I think the current implementation in Win Toolkit is ok:

* fyi, as you can see here, TuneUp Utilities still has a problem with apps beeing too quickly stopped at shut down. I said it was 5 seconds the first time, I made a mistake - it was 15 seconds. However, if you ask me, 15 seconds is too much, and I think the current implementation of 5 seconds is more than ok. :)

Secondly, other recommendations from that app makes me request-frenzy :D

1. Not sure if a tweak is really working in Win Toolkit - the Internet Explorer Unlimited Simultaneous Downloads. More precisely, I get this screen, and I've also tried another tweak out there, with the same result...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000014
"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:00000014

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000014
"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:00000014

So what's exacly the code for that tweak? Or maybe, the same as with 15 seconds vs. 5 seconds, TuneUp Utilities gets a little paranoid, and thinks that more than 8 simultaneous downloads are too much :)

Added the 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER' section.

2. I get a screen like this to delete a scheduled task of Collection of usage data for Windows. I included in the dedicated tweaks thread.

[Request] Not in Win Toolkit to fix

3. I get a screen like this for a starting unneeded program. I found out that only stopping the Windows Error Reporting service isn't enough, you also need to delete the scheduled task. I also included this in the tweaks section.

[Request] Again, not in Win Toolkit but i will eventually add it to the tweaks section

4. As with the previous two request, please include the tweaks from this two posts (1 + 2) in Win Toolkit. And please at no. 11 to set the permissions for that tweak. It's somehow weird I add ~ 20 useful tweaks to the tweaks section, more than I check in the app :D

[Request]

Edited by Legolash2o

• 4 months later...

Ok, I continue this thread / list (and hope you don't ignore Lego the very old / but also very actual previous post) with other minor / major issues.

5. Screenshot taking feature in Driver Installer (Tools), build 57 and also build 61, is very buggy. If an error appears, if I click on the Save Screenshot button (as you can see here), the app freezes and I have to stop the Win Toolkit service from the Task Manager and re-open it.

6. BTW, it's ''some drivers were not installed'', not ''where''. Same screenshot.

7. In an x64 windows 7 environment, if I add the drivers I have (for x64 architecture) both to the Driver Installer in Tools, and also to the one in AIO, everything is ok, no red bars (aka drivers for other architecture) or other errors.

However, for an x86 environment, when I add my x86 drivers folder to the Driver section in AIO, one is not added, and one is having a blue bar (???) - error like, it's not red, so I don't know what it means :D If I add them to the Driver Installer in Tools, then 5 drivers wrongfully appear with red bars, and again one is not added to the list. About this issue, is VERY weird. The not added driver in one run run is skipped from Cardreaders folder, in another from WLAN... :(

I'll send you the drivers via pm asap so you can check them for yourself. But once again, everything is perfect in a x64 environment with the x64 driver folder, please test the x86 folder in an x86 environment. I'll also send you the x64 folder just if you want to see the differences / maybe it would help in some way. :)

I have removed the red bars from Driver Installer and invalid drivers will be removed automatically as it was also removed from All-In-One Integrator. Blue bars are duplicates, meaning an *.inf file with the same MD5 is already added to the list. I've also fixed the weird issue of the 'Unknown Error' appearing on the same line rather than individual lines.

8. Please add a warning to the Improve USB Storage Devices Performance system tweak, smth like ''Do not use this tweak if you have a wireless mouse and/or keyboard". I can confirm now, from multiple sources, that this tweak is VERY buggy if you have such peripherals, it makes them perform weird (ex: some buttons won't work, many freezes etc). It's likely that these are not the only USB peripherals negatively influenced by this tweak.

9. About the Change Setup Background Misc tweak, I have two suggestions:

* I had an 200 kb .jpg, and when I selected it, a 6 MB .bmp was created, and that .bmp was selected by the app. So clearly a .bmp format is needed, but in this case please mention this in the description of the app, so users can select a small dimension .bmp from the start...

* Why not also use this picture for the First logon / Runonce installer background? It's too much I think to have 2 tweaks in the app, one for the background of WinPE, one for RunOnce...

The first logon background is control by a completely different tweak. I think i used to have the option of setting RunOnce background but it seemed pointless, besides that a request so needs to go into the request forum.

Ok. Seen them, ok everything, and don't have a request for no. 9. It just seemed more logical to me, I don't reallty care about it however.

But please don't hurry with no. 7 and check the x86 drivers I've sent you in an x86 environment, both in AIO and in Driver Installer Tool. Thanks. :)

Oh, and hopefully you'll get to add those tweaks sooner than later... I've been waiting for them for ages :D

5. Screenshot taking feature in Driver Installer (Tools), build 57 and also build 61, is very buggy. If an error appears, if I click on the Save Screenshot button (as you can see here), the app freezes and I have to stop the Win Toolkit service from the Task Manager and re-open it.

I just fixed an issue where if you clicked 'Save Screenshot' and then click cancel or close the window, the save screenshot button will be disabled.

NOT in AIO, in Driver Installer from tools 5 appeared in red. And it's not for XP that one, it's the equivalent for the x64 one, for x86, please remove the red bar. :)

I can't try right now the test version, I'm on x64. Once you assure me it's ok for x86, and you'll release a final version, I'll reinstall an x86 windows 7 ant try it, probably tommorow. Sorry for this. :(

NOT in AIO, in Driver Installer from tools 5 appeared in red. And it's not for XP that one, it's the equivalent for the x64 one, for x86, please remove the red bar. :)

I can't try right now the test version, I'm on x64. Once you assure me it's ok for x86, and you'll release a final version, I'll reinstall an x86 windows 7 ant try it, probably tommorow. Sorry for this. :(

Yeah i tested x86 in the Driver Installer and still only got 1 red.

Ok, can you make an exception for those (probably 5 ''unknown'') drivers I've sent you? I can't think of another solution...

Once again... can you see a driver is skipped both in AIO and in Driver Installer in your build (x86 folder, x86 environment)? Or have you managed to fix this?

Edited by RicaNeaga

Tried version .65 on a x86 environment, with x86 drivers. Everything if fine now (I've also detected the duplicate Areca driver), with one exception: the ENE USB Mass Storage 5.89.0.71 (that you can find here as an individual driver, and also you can see it's for windows 7), comes up yellow. This is only valid for the x86 version in an x86 environment, everything is fine in a x64 environment with the x64 driver.

So once you fix this, consider this thread Solved... and also hoping that no bugs will come up... tweaks adding and Online driver tool request solving FTW! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Win Toolkit leaves a WinToolkit.txt file in the Windows folder on WIMs, which has the last selected WIM path. This file is wasteful and nothing should be left in the WIM that the user didn't explicitly put there.

WOW thats really well kinda rude and unnecesarily put out there.

Why are you being confrontive about it?

Better put: "Hey Lego, what would be the reason for the txt file the toolkit leaves? Can that be avoided?"

If your panties are in a twist about that I hope you don't ever look to close at a nLited\vLited or RT7Lited disk...

WOW thats really well kinda rude and unnecesarily put out there.

Why are you being confrontive about it?

Better put: "Hey Lego, what would be the reason for the txt file the toolkit leaves? Can that be avoided?"

If your panties are in a twist about that I hope you don't ever look to close at a nLited\vLited or RT7Lited disk...

I didn't really think anything of it really, besides i just checked and it literally has no purpose. :)

Win Toolkit leaves a WinToolkit.txt file in the Windows folder on WIMs, which has the last selected WIM path. This file is wasteful and nothing should be left in the WIM that the user didn't explicitly put there.

Removed the file.

Have you tried an untouched copy of windows 7? Like the one from the links in the app (Win Toolkit). I haven't had such issues lately, even with the latest build, and I integrate 300+ updates, all green. I really dont think it's a Win Toolkit issue.

Theres a bug processing notepad.wa.

With 14045 there is no problem, with 14065/66 the files are installed at there

right place, but no registry entries, so the builtin Editor isn´t disabled.