How to remove Editions from list of available install options?

Mr_Smartepants

OK, I'm sure I'm missing something here. Maybe someone has already thought of this and can help.

Let's say you have removed the \sources\ei.cfg file to unlock all editions but integrate updates/drivers/etc. into only Win7 Professional and Ultimate.

If you boot from the .iso, you're presented with all Editions to install (Home Basic, Home Premium, Pro & Ultimate) even though you only modified Pro/Ultimate.

How do you remove the unmodified editions from the list of available install options?

I've tried removing the \sources\install_*.clg files for the affected editions but that didn't work.

Is there an .xml or other text file that needs to be edited to remove them from the list?

This also affects Server 2008r2. Here's a screenshot of the section I'm referring to.

33mol7d.png

Thanks Kels, but I don't use Win7Toolkit or wim-manager. I'm trying to use raw DISM commands.

I found a little info here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/ad33200e-e368-46d9-b495-0c4cbe6661c8

and here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744535(v=ws.10).aspx

But it refers to manipulating the ei.cfg file and that's not an option because I need to remove just one or two options, not limit the entire disc to a single option.

I'll play around with the following commands and see if that is what I'm looking for.

/Get-CurrentEdition | /Get-TargetEditions |/Set-Edition

imagex /export /check /compress maximum "PATH TO"\install.wim X "PATH TO"\newinstall.wim

copy /V /Y "PATH TO"\newinstall.wim "PATH TO"\install.wim

erase /F /Q "PATH TO"\newinstall.wim

Wanna try this? Repeat imagex line for every index. Replace X with index number.

Edited by ianymaty

imagex /export /check /compress maximum "PATH TO"\install.wim X "PATH TO"\newinstall.wim

copy /V /Y "PATH TO"\newinstall.wim "PATH TO"\install.wim

erase /F /Q "PATH TO"\newinstall.wim

Wanna try this? Repeat imagex line for every index. Replace X with index number.

The "copy" command would over-write the previous .wim and in the end you'd be left with only the last index exported.

A better option would be to export/copy the .wim to a backup location and delete the indexes not needed one at a time.

IMAGEX [FLAGS] /DELETE image_file image_number | image_name

or

imagex /delete d:\imaging\data.wim 1

imagex /delete d:\imaging\data.wim 2

etc.

I thought DISM would do what I wanted, but ImageX is the only way forward.

and the DISM It Does Already

newdism.png

imagex and a thing of the past now, microsoft since the release of Windows 7 much improvement in these tools, and now in windows 8 they will improve even more, in windows vista certain tools broke (dozens of exe to do something, now will serve only dims to do everything)

Ciao.

Edited by OnePiece

The command lines are from some point back in time when i tinkered with wim images before I discovered this forum.

Yes the "copy" command will overwrite the original wim but only at the end after you exported all the indexes you want by repeating the line of export before the final copy.

That was what I wanted, to combine x86 with x64 wims and replace the original wim in one command.

As OnePiece ponited, now DISM can do a lot more now.

and the DISM It Does Already

newdism.png

imagex and a thing of the past now, microsoft since the release of Windows 7 much improvement in these tools, and now in windows 8 they will improve even more, in windows vista certain tools broke (dozens of exe to do something, now will serve only dims to do everything)

Ciao.

Actually OnePiece, those functions are not included with the WAIK 3.1 (current) version of DISM. You're quoting from the 'pre-release' version of DISM for Windows 8.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825258.aspx

This new version of DISM/WAIK is not available for download yet.

Applies To: Windows 8

[This topic is pre-release documentation and is subject to change in future releases. Blank topics are included as placeholders.]

Thanks Kels,

I'll take a look.

Actually OnePiece, those functions are not included with the WAIK 3.1 (current) version of DISM. You're quoting from the 'pre-release' version of DISM for Windows 8.

http://technet.micro...y/hh825258.aspx

This new version of DISM/WAIK is not available for download yet.

In fact it is already available for download for a long time (4-5 months) http://technet.micro...y/hh824821.aspx but do not call more WAIK, but Windows® Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK)

about microsoft tools need to always look for words like "NAME" + "Technical Reference" ect ect

Ciao.

PS:exactly all you need is Windows Deployment Tools-x86_en-us.msi (to not install all the suite)

Edited by OnePiece

From the link that OnePiece gave above:

DISM is installed with Windows 8, and it is also distributed in the Windows® Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK). It can be used to service Windows 8, Windows Server® 8, Windows® 7, Windows Server® 2008 R2, Windows Vista®, Windows Server® 2008, Windows® Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) 4.0, or Windows PE 3.0 images. DISM replaces several deployment tools, including PEimg, Intlcfg, ImageX, and Package Manager.

which seems to say that it can be used to service Win7 images, if I read that right. I will be very interested to find out how many of the new features in this edition of DISM, such removing packages, can truly be used on Win7.

Cheers and Regards

Yes, that is how I understood it also. But this new ADK is "pre-release" which means that corporate IT centers are not going to use it until it's final.

It's fine for hobbyists and enthusiasts, but beta-ware is a big "no-no" in the corporate world.

ImageX does what I need. Once this new ADK is final, I'll update my code to incorporate the new changes.

Thanks all! :)

Edited by Mr_Smartepants