Win Toolkit+KUC

ricktendo

Hey lego (whenever you get back) you should see about having Win Toolkit play nice with KUC (komms update checker), all you would need to do is generate a packages.txt for KUC of the offline image, run KUC and point it to the packages.txt to see what updates are needed (it creates a file packages_OUT.txt that you could see about being able to load it into Win Toolkit for a list of updates that are needed/can be removed)

Shows how short sighted you are, 1- KUC option could only be available if it detects KUC executable in the same directory 2- KUC, NOT the toolkit will be in charge of downloading the updates 3- Who cares what komm did with his own server, its his to do with what he pleases...

All lego needs to do: if wtk detects KUC in the same dir enable it, ask user for a path to a repo folder (with any updates (s)he has already downloaded,) after wtk mounts the image it runs KUC with the following command

<kuc>.exe /DVD-Image-dir:<path_to_image_just_mounted> /up-dir:<any_temp_dir> /repo-dir:<repo_dir_specified_by_user>Then the user clicks next and stuff, choose what updates (s)he needs, uses kuc to download missing updates from his repo folder and the user finishes...then the toolkit executes the CMD files in the "up-dir" to copy files to add, now that all the updates are copied and laid out for the toolkit all it needs to do is integrate the "normal" updates like it would normally and ONLY extract and install the LDR updates in the LDR folder

If you people want to blindly integrate updates not knowing if you need them or not be my guest, this is the last time you will hear me say this

That's a wonderful suggestion Rick! Ever since Lego was able to smoothly incorporate Solar's list and Komm came up with his update checker I've been hoping that Lego could combine the best of all these great tools. When he's finished with exams of course.

Cheers and Regards

This is an update checker, does not rely on MS servers it uses a very detailed maintained list of updates that can tell you what updates are missing from your computer and what updates you can uninstall

If you think its too much its fine

Lego, no pressure - I'm sure you have enough of that from University. I personally have not used KUC, but from what I have read it goes beyond SoLoR's list as to what updates it covers. Just as SoLoR's list goes beyond what MS normally offers, KUC goes beyond SoLoR's list. Komm tries to coordinate with SoLoR so that the two agree where they overlap. So when you have a chance I think it would be worthwhile looking into including Komm's list and update checker. Whether it's used instead of SoLoR's list, since I think it includes everything in it, or it's offered as an optional alternative will be something that you'll have to decide.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by Legolash2o

• 4 weeks later...

In light of the hiatus that SoLoR has found necessary to take I decided to evaluate McRip and Komm's list/KUC. Without any reservations I can say that I have found both to be superb!!! These guys are amazing and clearly as qualified as SoLoR. Now regarding the additional capabilities of the KUC... well I wouldn't know where to begin.. the KUC is a completely different tool than the Win ToolKit but using both has given me synergistic abilities that I never even knew about. I highly suggest everyone check out the KUC and and I'm sure you will understand my comments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really hope that the optional use of KUC can somehow be folded into Win Toolkit. I would love to end up with a somewhat automated way to achieve the type of results that compstuff did as he described in his link mentioned above. As long as all the various update providers, SoLoR, McRip, and Komm, provide different benefits, it makes sense to provide the option to use what works best for you. Also, this way if one or more is not available for whatever reason, you'll have a backup other than trying to get all xxxx number of updates one at a time from MS manually IF you can find them all. I would hope that the various tools all have similar enough organizations so that only one copy of each of the various updates is required in your local update repository.

Cheers and Regards

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

KUC updates are now available via Update Catalog. I'm not going to add the code which detects if an update is needed or not. DISM does that but more important Komm (i think that is their name) still currently works very hard on KUC and I don't want to take that away from him. Just seems disrespectful.

I don't really have his permission to use his exe anyway, so I can't