[Solved] Temp Folder Changes won't stay

Uncle_Gadget

I've tried changing the "Win Toolkit Temp Folder" to a folder (I've tried several) on my drive D: and it ALWAYS reverts back to "C:\WinToolkit" every time I start the program.

It's critical for me that Win Toolkit not use drive C: as it's an SSD drive on my system.

I can confirm the problem!

On restart Temp-folder changes back to default, mount-folder stays modified; Setting.txt is NOT write-protected.

I want to have Temp- and Mount-folder on D:\ (C:\ is a SSD ); if I modify Temp to D:\, Win Toolki writes Win Toolki twice, i.e. D:\Win Toolkit\Win Toolkit.

MfG, Thiersee

Edited by Thiersee

I can confirm the problem!

On restart Temp-folder changes back to default, mount-folder stays modified; Setting.txt is NOT write-protected.

I want to have Temp- and Mount-folder on D:\ (C:\ is a SSD ); if I modify Temp to D:\, Win Toolki writes Win Toolki twice, i.e. D:\Win Toolkit\Win Toolkit.

MfG, Thiersee

What folder are you trying to change it to? and what folder is your mount folder set to be? Does it revert back straight away or everytime you open Win Toolkit?

Sorry for not getting back sooner... I'm having the same issues as Thiersee, above. I've tried changing the Temp folder to "D:\Temp", "D:\WinToolkit", "D:\Temp\WinToolkit", and "D:\WinToolkit\Temp". I've even tried manually editing Settings.txt to these same folders. However, once I start Win Toolkit, it reverts back to "C:\WinToolkit" every single time. I have also verified that setttings.txt is not read-only.

It doesn't change back until the program is restarted, but I have not tested it further because my concern is that it's going to use the C: drive no matter what the setting for "Win Toolkit Temp Folder" shows in the dialog.

I have Win Toolkit installed in "D:\AIO\Win ToolKit" and my mount folder is set to "D:\AIO\Mount"

Thanks for looking into the problem!

Edited by Uncle_Gadget

The only reason i can think of it doing that is because drive D is not NTFS.

EDIT: Just fixed the D:\\WinToolkit\\WinToolkit issue.

Question: When you change your temp/mount folder and 'Apply Settings', does your settings.txt change?

Edited by Legolash2o

Tested the issue in v1.4.0.18.

I set the tmp and mount folder to M:, which is a ramdisk.

sW7TTemp=M:\W7T

sMountTemp=M:\Mount

W7t uses both, but there is still a "c:\W7T\Mount\" created, but as far as I can see, it is not used.

EDIT:

I noticed the following while using the all-in-one tool. W7T still uses

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Temp

permanantly for writing datafiles. I think for extracting update files, but to my mind, W7T has to use the Temp folder, or am I wrong ?

Edited by caphp

Running Win7 Ultimate 64bit w/SP1; all drives NTFS, have 8Gb RAMDRIVE that has \Temp and \Tmp folders.

Downloaded latest: WinToolkit140-18.7z

Started Win Toolkit > Win Toolkit Options > Misc > Win Toolkit Temp Folder was shown to be H:\WinToolkit (not my selection); assuming this occured because Win7 Ultimate is installed on the H:\ drive.

Selected Browse and changed to RAMDRIVE: now shown as Z:\Temp\WinToolkit - would prefer WinToolkit NOT create a subfolder but just use the \Temp folder.

Also noticed that Win Toolkit Mount Folder was shown to be D:\WinKit\Mount (not my selection); assuming this selection made by WinToolkit for an unknown reason. Would prefer to use the RAMDRIVE, I.E. Z:\Mount (my assumption here is that using the RAMDRIVE rather than a hard drive would speed things up - memory is faster than a mechanical drive).

Apply Settings selected and saved. Win Toolkit closed. Opened Settings.txt: sMountTemp=Z:\Mount and sWinToolkitTemp=Z:\TEMP\WinToolkit. Closed Settings.txt and started Win Toolkit; Options > Misc had the new settings; so that appears to be fine.

Running Win7 Ultimate 64bit w/SP1; all drives NTFS, have 8Gb RAMDRIVE that has \Temp and \Tmp folders.

Downloaded latest: WinToolkit140-18.7z

Started Win Toolkit > Win Toolkit Options > Misc > Win Toolkit Temp Folder was shown to be H:\WinToolkit (not my selection); assuming this occured because Win7 Ultimate is installed on the H:\ drive.

That's done by design, some people are stupid enough to select a drive root and then wonder why all there files have been deleted.

Selected Browse and changed to RAMDRIVE: now shown as Z:\Temp\WinToolkit - would prefer WinToolkit NOT create a subfolder but just use the \Temp folder.

Again done by design, some people use the same temp folder for all of their programs and it becomes messy.

Also noticed that Win Toolkit Mount Folder was shown to be D:\WinKit\Mount (not my selection); assuming this selection made by WinToolkit for an unknown reason. Would prefer to use the RAMDRIVE, I.E. Z:\Mount (my assumption here is that using the RAMDRIVE rather than a hard drive would speed things up - memory is faster than a mechanical drive).

Apply Settings selected and saved. Win Toolkit closed. Opened Settings.txt: sMountTemp=Z:\Mount and sWinToolkitTemp=Z:\TEMP\WinToolkit. Closed Settings.txt and started Win Toolkit; Options > Misc had the new settings; so that appears to be fine.

Glad it now saves, so the original bug has been fixed.