Microsoft may kill (win7) start menu hacks for windows 8

RicaNeaga

Got it from here (that has this article as a source). Made it into a thread because of its significance for power users.

Related to this second point is information I’ve received that Microsoft has been furiously ripping out legacy code in Windows 8 that would have enabled third parties to bring back the Start button, Start Menu, and other software bits that could have made this new OS look and work like its predecessor. In fact, I’ve seen that several well-known UI hacks that worked fine with the Windows 8 Consumer Preview are no longer functional in the coming Release Preview.

Seems like the days when a few (idiotic) people from Microsoft are behind key-decision-making are sadly back. A move like this also is making me remember of the vista days, when end-users were the least worry Microsoft had, and bloatware features were embelmatic for their thinking.

We'll find out tommorow, from early-reviewers, as the rc will be live today.

LE: You can remove that tweak for windows 8 from WinToolkit now, Lego :(

Edited by RicaNeaga

As of now, Classic Shell still works in Windows 8 Release Preview, but I have read those same words you have so I fully expect MS to continue to try and eliminate the user's options to suit MS's ill chosen desires.

post-70718-0-01675200-1338497800_thumb.png

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Microsoft are stupid, i would have made it so that the user can select between Start Menu or 'Metro' at first logon. Then once Metro becomes popular then remove the start menu in Windows 9 or 10.

Just getting rid of a major feature without warning is the worst thing you can ever do!