A (maybe complicated?) way to update ISO

monkee

Maybe someone has already suggested the same but I failed to find their post. So, here's my thought..

Let's say I make a Win7 Home Premium x86 ISO with my serial (because I bought it, of course) with all updates up to today. And I keep that ISO on my drive for various purposes (virtual machine experiments, netbook installation, testing purposes). A month later that ISO will be outdated, there will be new updates. So, I fire up Win Toolkit, go to Downloads and Update Catalog. Here's what I'm thinking: is it possible for Win Toolkit to scan what updates are already in my extracted ISO's folder so it only offers me new ones and not 400+ of every update since SP1 release?

Update Retriever would not work because I'm doing all this on an x64 machine while the ISO in question is x86.

tl;dr is it possible for Win Toolkit to scan my extracted ISO's folder for installed updates and only offer me the new ones?

Thanks and keep up the good work.

PS - On one hand, this might be a long shot because I know how things went with nLite (errors and incompatibilities), on the other hand, XP is nothing like 7.

Edit: Hope I'm not too late: in the current version of Win Toolkit, after installing updates to a 7 SP1 ISO's extracted folder, the Component Removal (under Advanced) shows all of these freshly installed updates. I don't want to remove them since I've just installed them - aren't they supposed to be hidden or am I missing something? Yeah, I know I could easily ignore them but on the other hand it makes (in my opinion) the list much much longer.

Edit: Another request. In Win Toolkit's options, is it possible to arrange that when I manually pick my Temp folder that it does not create another WinToolkit folder within? Or does it have to be this way in order for software to work? Just wondering..

Edited by monkee

Edit: Another request. In Win Toolkit's options, is it possible to arrange that when I manually pick my Temp folder that it does not create another WinToolkit folder within? Or does it have to be this way in order for software to work? Just wondering..

I believe it is this way because if the "normal" Temp folder is used it probably has all kinds of junk in it from many different apps. For Win Toolkit to be able to easily clean up after itself it puts all its files in a subfolder of the Temp folder. To be consistent, if you then specify a different "Temp" folder, ie a different outer shell, it will still create a subfolder for ease of cleanup, since Win Toolkit has no way of knowing if that temp folder is being used for anything else or not. I think it is all done for consistency, safety, and ease of programming.

Cheers and Regards

Ah, makes sense then. I was under the wrong impression that it only needs a random temp folder and only deletes its own temp files in the said folder. Smart move, when I think about it :)

I believe it is this way because if the "normal" Temp folder is used it probably has all kinds of junk in it from many different apps. For Win Toolkit to be able to easily clean up after itself it puts all its files in a subfolder of the Temp folder. To be consistent, if you then specify a different "Temp" folder, ie a different outer shell, it will still create a subfolder for ease of cleanup, since Win Toolkit has no way of knowing if that temp folder is being used for anything else or not. I think it is all done for consistency, safety, and ease of programming.

Cheers and Regards

That's exactly why, also in the past some members did select their drive root and then said WinToolkit (or W7T at the time) had deleted all of their music, films, etc.. off their partition.

• 3 months later...

DISM already checks if an update is integrated or not, but it would be way to complicated to have Update Catalog mix with WIM images detection. Also when you load up Update Catalog it will show you what's new compared to when the last time you opened it, so this feature isn't really needed.

If you wish to open this topic for further debate then feel free to send me a PM asking me to unlock it.