Utility to list an existing system hotkey setting

Geej

Just wonder if anyone know which freeware tool can list all the hotkey that are already in use by the Operating System.

Eg. I have an application that I wish to set a hotkey such as Win+W within the application setting. I would like to know whether this hotkey is in conflict with any pre-registered hotkey that are already taken up.

I probably could test it out one by one (I know some program does throw up a warning if there is a conflict) but it would be better to know in advance if such utility exists which can generate a list of pre-registered hotkey used by the system.

According to this link - http://www.autohotke...topic23413.html, it isn't possible, though you would think it should be.

Further looking says this works - Shortcuts Map - http://www.zealsofts....com/shortcuts/

And this one claims to as well for x86 OS - Ethervane ActiveHotkeys - http://www.tranglos.com/activehotkeys/

But I have not tested either of these. If you do, or anyone else knows of one that works, and on which OS, please share.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Thanks for the lead. Here are some capability and /limitation I tested on XP.

Shortcuts Map 2.3

For Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP/Server 2003

Shortcuts Map will help you to manage hotkeys assigned to shortcuts on the desktop or in the Start menu hierarchy. With the straightforward user interface, you can easily to change a hotkey or find an unused hotkey.

List only hotkey from the Start Menu & desktop location. Other keys within application are not listed.

Can print the list.

I found one here.

Shortcut Key Explorer v1.02

Supported OS: Win95 to win8

Detect only hotkey on the start menu & desktop. Cannot print the list.

Standalone app.

Ethervane ActiveHotkeys 1.3.1 Build 16

Windows 95, XP, Vista, 7 or later (32-bit versions only)

ActiveHotkeys detects what global keyboard shortcuts (hotkeys) are currently registered on the computer by various applications.

This helps you determine which hotkeys are in use, and which are still available.

However, it does not indicate which program uses that hotkey. (Due to OS limitation)

Will list every hotkey that are currently in use, not just the hotkey on Start Menu/desktop shortcut.

However, it does not list which program are use in Start Menu or Desktop.

Dev still very active with this software. Originally from donationcoder.com and still active there.

Probably the most comprehensive software among the three.

Suggest to use a combination of 2 softwares. (Shortcut Key Explorer v1.02 + Ethervane ActiveHotkeys)

Cheers