Win Toolkit ? :: Split a Windows Image File to Span Across Multiple DVDs or CDs

yogurt

@LegoLash2o

Does the Win Toolkit Installer that runs at first desktop load work if a Windows Image File is split to span across multiple DVD's or CDs?

I intend to the either use the Win Toolkit SWM split tool or this method to split the image.

Perhaps this question is best suited for the developer of Win Toolkit. I'm realy just looking for a simple yes or no answer. Before replying to this thread, please have a look here first to see if your reply has already been covered by someone else.  Thanks in advance.

BTW :: Why Installing from USB is not an option.

Edited by dotfusion

Interesting, I will give it a try. The thing that makes me doubt if it will work is the fact that all the integrated apps reside in the apps folder on the DVD (Which i presume is the first DVD of the set. Windows Setup will finish on the last DVD of the set and restart.

Doesn't the first DVD of the set have to  be present in the drive for Win Toolkit to execute?

Edited by dotfusion

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well as it turns out Splitting a Windows Image File to Span Across Multiple DVDs or CDs is not a viable solution when you have integrated silent installers in the root Apps folder of your ISO. Not viable mainly because it requires to many extra steps to move the silent installers to the last DVD of the spanned set. Furthermore their the posibility that their may not even be enough room on the last DVD to accomadate the silent installers, simply becasue of a number of limitations found in the AIK create spanned shares command (which I wont go into detail).

On the the other hand if you have no silent installers that were integrated using Win Toolkit, then spanning a WIM file across multible DVD's is in fact a nice solution for spanning a Windows Install across multiple DVD's / CD's.

On a final note. I will not be expnding on this thread or providing a How-To as previously mentioned.

Edited by dotfusion

If your refering to putting the apps folder on entirely on a  different DVD/CD on their own, then What?

Woud the scenerio go something like this?

1. Install Windows from the Spanned Media and when setup is complete ...

2. Insert the DVD (or UFD) with the Apps folder in the drive before first boot and WinToolKitRunOnce.exe will detect the folder and run the instruction

Or

Are you suggesting having the apps folder copied over to %SystemDrive% during setup using $oem$ folders method and invoke the installers from there by changing the variable for the Toolkit installer in the Registry to %SystemDrive%\Apps.

But the Apps folder on another partition instead of the DVD but make sure 'Apps' is on the root of the partition.

Edited by dotfusion

On another HDD partition, not CD/DVD. If you have your HDD split into 2 partitions and you install Windows one C:\ then put the Apps folder on the other partition D:\

You could put it on a separate DVD as you suggested and put it in after Windows files have been expanded.

Thanks for the insight. Spliting the HD in 2 partitions sounds good. Would'nt I have to change the %DVD% Variable aswell in the registry or does WinToolKitRunOnce look for some sort of string to indentify the location of the apps folder and goes from there? 

Could I use a UFD to accomplish the same thing if I wanted to to have  a single C:\Drive\ partition?

The AutoUnattend.xml that I'm using currently for installs works like this 

Instucts setup to Wipe the Drive Clean

Create and format  a 100mb System Reserved Partition (NTFS)

Create a second partition using the remaining space,and assign C:\ (NTFS)

Install windows on C:\ 

Note: The small 100mb Partition is System Reserved, hidden, and not assigned a drive letter.

I could deviate from this answer file, but Idealy I would preffer to not have to split the drive into 3 parts (1 system reserved, 1 OS part, 1, Apps part)

Edited by dotfusion

Thanks for the insight. Spliting the HD in 2 partitions sounds good. Would'nt I have to change the %DVD% Variable aswell in the registry or does WinToolKitRunOnce look for some sort of string to indentify the location of the apps folder and goes from there? 

Could I use a UFD to accomplish the same thing if I wanted to to have  a single C:\Drive\ partition?

The AutoUnattend.xml that I'm using currently for installs works like this 

Instucts setup to Wipe the Drive Clean

Create and format  a 100mb System Reserved Partition (NTFS)

Create a second partition using the remaining space,and assign C:\ (NTFS)

Install windows on C:\ 

Note: The small 100mb Partition is System Reserved, hidden, and not assigned a drive letter.

I could deviate from this answer file, but Idealy I would preffer to not have to split the drive into 3 parts (1 system reserved, 1 OS part, 1, Apps part)

Nah, don't touch the %DVD% variable.

UFD?

Sorry for the cryptic acronym, by 'UFD' I mean to say USB Flash Drive.

So for example, would the apps get installed if I were to have the apps folder on root of a USB flash driver and install Windows from DVD?

Do you think it would also work from a network share that I have maped to a drive letter that is accessable during windows setup?

Nah, don't touch the %DVD% variable.

UFD?

Edited by dotfusion

Yes, as long as the usb stick is in before the desktop is first shown (after the first reboot).

The RunOnce installer will literally scan every drive letter plugged in for an 'Apps' folder. USB, DVD, CD, RAMDisk, pre-mapped network drive, heck even a floppy disk! As long as it has a drive letter.

Man, I realy like this fine piece of programing. Nice work Lego! Time to seriouly consider making a financial donation to this fine project. Perhaps even take on a more pro-active role in contributing some of knowledge in the fourull too. :graduated: