Sign in to follow this  
Shodan2000

Remove single components via command possible?

Hi,

Dism for Windows 7 offers no function to remove components like in Windows 8 or at least I didn't find it.

Example for Dism in Windows 8

DISM.exe /Online /Disable-Feature /Featurename:Solitaire /Remove

However in Windows 7 you can remove single components via Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off.
This starts OptionalFeatures.exe, but I couldn't find any arguments for this exe. With WinToolkit you can for example only remove the whole game group, but not single games.

Is there a way to remove components via a command?

Unfortunately, Windows 7 does not have that option with DISM to remove/disable components from the DVD.  That feature was added to the Windows 8 DISM (but also is not able to remove/disable items under Win7).

An alternative way around that is to use an autoattend.xml to install *only* what you want from your install disk. That is about the only way to "not" have some items installed under Windows 7.

SIDE NOTE:  It appears that the "optionalfeatures.exe" does not have any command line options.  (One *might* be able to use an autoit or vbs script to automate an option removal, however this would only be able to be performed on a live working system.)

for example in bat file...

Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:TabletPCOC /norestart

Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:FaxServicesClientPackage /norestart

Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:Printing-XPSServices-Features /norestart

Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:Internet-Explorer-Optional-x86 /norestart

Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:Xps-Foundation-Xps-Viewer /norestart

Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:TIFFIFilter /norestart

Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:WindowsGadgetPlatform /norestart

Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:MediaPlayback /norestart

Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:WindowsMediaPlayer /norestart

Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:MediaCenter /norestart

Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:OpticalMediaDisc /norestart

Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:Printing-Foundation-Features /norestart

Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:Printing-Foundation-InternetPrinting-Client /norestart

Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:MSRDC-Infrastructure /norestart

if you want disable features in install.wim, create a new folder (here C:\new), mount install.wim in "new" folder and use dos command:

Dism /Image:C:\new /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:TabletPCOC
Dism /Image:C:\new /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:FaxServicesClientPackage
Dism /Image:C:\new /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:Printing-XPSServices-Features
Dism /Image:C:\new /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:Internet-Explorer-Optional-x86
Dism /Image:C:\new /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:Xps-Foundation-Xps-Viewer
Dism /Image:C:\new /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:TIFFIFilter
Dism /Image:C:\new /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:WindowsGadgetPlatform
Dism /Image:C:\new /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:MediaPlayback
Dism /Image:C:\new /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:WindowsMediaPlayer
Dism /Image:C:\new /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:MediaCenter
Dism /Image:C:\new /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:OpticalMediaDisc
Dism /Image:C:\new /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:Printing-Foundation-Features
Dism /Image:C:\new /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:Printing-Foundation-InternetPrinting-Client
Dism /Image:C:\new /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:MSRDC-Infrastructure

here is for x86 windows 7 features.

unmount with save

important: for works, you need original winsxs backup folder. Erase it after if you want.
Edited by kalimergo

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Alps
      Hi all!
      I'm choosing the components to remove from my cd (Win XP Pro) and in the services section there are 3 which I don't know whether taking out.
      First, a red component, HTTP SSL: considering that I'm not going to use Internet Explorer, is it safe to remove it even if I use SSL for e-mail or other services?
      Second, another red component, SNMP: there is a generic reference to printer support and agents that monitor the activity in network devices and report to the network console workstation. Does it have something to do with router connection, USB devices for connecting to the local router or stuff like that? If wireless printing support (or USB printing) is needed, can SNMP be safely removed anyway?
      Third, a black component, Network DDE: does its removal affect the local router connection and security issues?
      Fourth, another black component, QoS RSVP (and related QoS): does it have something to do with internet USB keys (such as dLink) for router connection (or HSDPA connection)? If so, should I keep it?
      Following the full list of components in Services section:
      Alerter
      Application Layer Gateway
      Automatic Updates
      Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
      Beep Driver
      COM+
      DHCP Client
      Distributed Link Tracking Client
      Distributed Transaction Coordinator (DTC)
      DNS Client
      Error Reporting
      Event Log
      Extensible Authentication Protocol Service
      Fax Services
      Health Key and Certificate Management Service
      HTTP SSL
      Imapi CD burning COM Services
      Indexing Service
      Internet Authentication (IAS)
      IPSEC Policy Agent
      Kerberos Key Distribution Center
      Message Queuing
      Messenger
      Net Logon
      Network Access Protection (NAP)
      Network DDE
      Network Location Awareness (NLA)
      Network Provisioning
      Performance Logs and Alerts
      Protected Storage
      QoS RSVP and Quality of Service
      Remote Registry
      Removable Storage
      Route Listening Servise
      RPC Locator
      Secondary Logon
      Service Advertising Protocol
      Shell Services
      Simple TCP/IP Services
      SNMP
      System Event Notification (SENS)
      System Monitor
      System Restore
      Task Scheduler
      TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
      Telnet Server
      Terminal Services
      Text Services Framework
      Uninterruptible Power Supply
      Universal Plug and Play
      Volume Shadow Copy
      WebClient
      Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
      Windows Management Instrumentation
      Windows Time
      Wired AutoConfig
      Wireless Configuration

Lastly, this is my list of components to remove: Alerter, Application Layer Gateway, Distributed Link Tracking Client, Error Reporting, IMAPI CD burning com services, Indexing Services, Messenger, QoS RSVP, Remote Registry, Removable Storage, Service Advertising Protocol, TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, Telnet, Text Services Framework, Volume Shadow Copy.
      Since I use a router connection (sometimes a HSDPA key), do you think that removal of any of the components of my list would badly affect my internet connection?
      Do you think I could include something else on my components list, something absolutely unuseful that I missed at first sight?
    • By Lanu
      Hi, I am unable to remove C:\WinToolkit_Mount\ folder. It takes a lot space on my c: drive about 9 gigabytes.

It says i dont have permission, even thought I am using admistration account(windows 7 x64).

I tried bootable linux (puppy linux) from usb and it says "operation not supported or something" when I try to delete the folder.

Any help  appreciated.

• By DaLiCaM
      How delete languages ​​that were already added to make lighter install.wim. For exampleI do not need English or French and want to remove it. Any idea?
    • By Relok
      Hi guys, I've a question about the hotfix and other components WinSXS directory in Windows 7, from what I've read by clearing the folder with vLite or WinReducer or other softwares, Windows Update will not work.
      But is it possible to fake Windows Update in thinking that WinSXS is fine even if I clear up all the files inside the various directories(directories are fine cause they don't occupy space, but .dll and .exe do).

Can someone clear this thing ?
      Suppose you want to install future updates and hotfixes but you don't want to unistall any of the previous, are those files inside WinSXS required.
      How does Windows Update check if those files are present, will check updates by the directory list or it will investigate the files inside them too ?

Thanks, for any suggestion to free up those 5 GB safely without breaking Windows Update functionality.

Relok.