MP3 tagging from FreeDB with filename data

tain

For years I have ripped the few good songs from my CDs onto my HDD and named them manually. My format is "Artist - Track Title.mp3" None of these are arranged in album order; I just dump all the Rock songs into a folder named Rock, for example. This process always worked well since I never processed more than a few songs at a time.

But now I have quite a collection built up and want to use them in my media center.

The media center can do lots of neat stuff with music once it is properly tagged. But I have no tags. I have managed to use software like The Godfather to batch process my filename data into proper tag data. But that doesn't include the album or any other neat info like the year or genre.

I'd like to find a tool that will batch process my files to retrieve at least the album title and genre from FreeDB based on just the artist and title found in the file name. Additional data would be nice, too. I anticipate needing to manually approve each album title selection from a dialog since one track can be found on multiple albums. Haven't had much luck so far with Godfather, ID3 Renamer, Tag&Rename, AudioGrail, MediaTagger or ID3Sync.

Any suggestions on another tool to use, or tips on how to use one of these tools to do what I want?

This question is cross-posted from MSFN. Hope that is OK.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello guys,

I've been searching long time ago for such a thing, and unfortunately didn't get any good result.

Finally I've found a very simple way that I didn't notice in Winamp

As a matter of fact this amazing media player has a built-in service called "Auto-Tagger"

and this service comes from GraceNote.com

Anyway, when you need to auto-tag your music files you just have to do this:

*For a single file auto-tag: Just view the file info by pressing ALT+3 keys, then in the "Basic Info" tab you'll see on the bottom right

a button called "Auto-Tag"... Just click on it and see what you'll get next!!!

*For multiple music files auto-tag: Select whatever you want in your playlist, then right click on them

Select The "Send to" submenu, then "Auto-Tag".... A new window will appear with your files that you've selected, wait for for a while

and see what will happen to the ID3-Tag, you can also compare between the old and the new information...

I think that it's easy and simple just like 1-2-3! ;)

Hope that it'll be useful

Edited by -=CoDeM@StEr=-

Hey, I'm so interested in Winamp, I hope that I can help you as much as I can

Regarding the album art problem I can give some tips that might help you

as I said I'm using the version 5.52 and that's pretty nice ^_^ , so when you get the wrong album cover press ALT+3 to view

the song info, then select the "Artwork" tab just like in this pic:

post-8118-1211042357_thumb.gif

if it was the wrong one you can delete it, then you have to pick your choice, either Download Art, Load Artwork or Paste Artwork

now sometimes winamp doesn't download the right album cover, and when I find that there's no match when trying to download

it from winamp I simply search for the cover over the internet, in google for example, and save it to my PC...

then I choose Load Artwork, now it's done! and don't have to do this many times for the rest of the files if there were in the same album,

winamp will load it automatically for the whole album.

;)

Musicmatch was the best for that, but since damn Yahoo! got it long ago, the service stopped working.

I searched a similar replacement, and MediaMonkey is now my way to go, it search Amazon Music for the info, being Artist, name of the song, Album Art, etc...

With it I've been able to organize close to 3500 mp3s that I had on my temp folder easily.

I hope it helps.

MediaMonkey's Homepage