looking for a good software RAID guide

runningfool

the title says it all...ive been thinking of doing a software RAID setup on my laptop, but havent ever really messed around with RAID and havent seen a good, concise guide on how to do so. could someone point me in the right direction? if it helps, im interested in RAID 0 (striping), not mirroring...mostly to see how significant the performance boost is.

the title says it all...ive been thinking of doing a software RAID setup on my laptop, but havent ever really messed around with RAID and havent seen a good, concise guide on how to do so. could someone point me in the right direction? if it helps, im interested in RAID 0 (striping), not mirroring...mostly to see how significant the performance boost is.

What do you mean by "Software Raid"? Are you just wanting to set you HDD's to Raid? If so THIS SHOULD HELP. This is done in the BIOS so it shouldn't matter what OS. I have been thinking about doing the same.

from what i have read/understand, software RAID is the process of splitting a single HDD into several partitions. its supposed to yield a significant performance boost (not as much as a legit hardware RAID), and of course provide a bit of data redundancy. Normally it can only be done on Windows Server, but awhile back I saw a post on RyanVM's site about patching a few files to get it working on XP.

one of my friends, who uses a Mac, says all Macs use a RAID setup by default...?

HMMMM?????? I have never heard of RAID partitioning a HDD only 'Merging". Also, partitioning your drive, into multiple drives I'm not sure really speeds up things. Now to partition a drive it's easy if you reformat the whole drive, but you do not want to reformat, you can use a program called Partition Magic, to partition a HDD with a running OS on it.