[Licensing Question] Magazine Full older versions allowed to be made as Add-on

sickmorci

Hi All,

I have a question to make to the Add-on gurus in this forum. :g:

As some of you may or may not subscribe to PC magazines, sometimes a magazine will include a DVD/CD with some full versions of tools and utilities. In most cases these tools/utility software are older versions of their current selling software so they are not the latest and greatest ones.

The tools provided have some limitations but in most cases will be *GOOD* enough for the majority of people.

Example 1:

http://www.backup4all.com/index.php -> Backup4all is a backup software for Windows.

I bought a magazine from newstand which includes a full version of this software (the lite version) which the magazine provides a licence to all. :)

Questions:

1 Can these *free* Older versions be made into Add-ons?

2 By giving away the *free* full older version with licence - does it mean it can be made available to users like in this forum?

3 Would it be wrong to create add-ons when its been made available without restrictions?

4 If it can be posted - supplying links from magazines/sites that *IT IS FREE* - are we given the right to create add-ons?

I thought i could post these questions as im curious if we can prove that a magazine/website are giving the software away *FREE* - that we can all benefit and create useful add-ons. :blush:

Anyone have an idea if we can use software this way? :questionmark:

SickDog

Well most if not all software have License agreements to not re-distribute...IMO if there is a freeware version, then it should be a perfect candidate for a addon

Its also possible to make shareware addons, just make sure you make the user add his/her registration serial etc