Get Webview on Xp Like Windows 98 : Folder Background Image

AMIRZ

Get Webview on Xp Like Windows 98 (Win 9X/ME/2000/Pre-XP) : Folder Background Image

-> Use custom image as background in Windows Explorer (e.g. Folder and USB Stick/Flash Disk etc):

(Not full webview though, just to get "Folder Background" on Windows XP Explorer without installing any 3rd party applications...)

PS: If you're using Windows Vista (since Vista (or higher OSes) has hard coded Windows Explorer and IE separately/differently), then you can also use free Ave's Vista Folder Background to get the similar feature: http://www.aveapps.com/folderbg.html

Hello everybody, (please sorry for my bad English b4, hopefully clear for you :D ), with Active Desktop and IE 4/5 update, Windows 98-2000 has a special feature called "Webview". In Windows 98-2000, by "Webview" You can view all folders and files on Windows Explorer as web pages like IE ("view as web page"). You can also apply folder customization widely by using webview feature such as "Folder background" (i remember i could see "Blue Cloud" background on my Windows 98 when applying "View as Webpage"...). Umm..Looks like a desktop wallpaper on your folder :P . Yes, you can only customize Desktop Wallpaper as the "remaining" active desktop component on Windows Xp, since Windows Xp (or higher : 2003, Vista...) has disabled webview customizations on shell (by integrating them tightly into system dll's), except desktop (icon, link, wallpaper, htt, web page, "dreamscene"/motion desktop feature, etc).

Here are the steps to do that on Windows Xp without any application/software. You can apply it on both file and system folders, included drives! (Hard Drive Partition and Removable Drives/USB/Flash Drive): My Documents, Shared Documents, Drive C:\, Drive D:\, etc)!

The Screenshot (Important, to show where desktop.ini and desktop folder should be) of Folder Background Example with desktop folder and hidden desktop.ini file. Please click to resize the thumbnail :

folderbackgroundwebvieway0.th.jpg

REQUIREMENTS :

- Windows Xp All Versions with IE 6, IE 7 installed (not tested yet with IE8). Dont know about 2003 (seems Vista totally not so...)

IMPORTANT NOTE :

- You have to show hidden files and folders before seeing the desktop.ini file (step 1): Also please always create backup of previous desktop.ini file.

- Because this feature was originally from previous Windows Versions (Xp has disabled "View as Web Page" as well as Vista), When you are using folder thumbnail view, the Folder Background becomes "distorted" (otherwise in Windows 98 you can't see thumbnails by using "View as Web Page" or vice versa).

- Please back up all changed files and systems (e.g. by setting restore point on System Restore) before...

1. Go to Windows Explorer menu bar > Tools > Folder Options > View. Choose : "Show hidden files and folders". Also uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected operating sytem files". You can restore them to default setting later. It's needed to show hidden desktop.ini file.

Optional : Make sure "show common tasks in folders" (Xp Webview pane) is selected. To check this open Windows Explorer, go to the tools menu and select Folder Options. "show common tasks in folders" is the first option there.

2. Go to the folder/drive that already has icon or create it (To do that : Right click folder > Properties > Customize > Change Icon, just select any icon you want). This will automatically create a needed hidden "desktop.ini" file inside the folder that you created.

3. Open the folder, now you can see a hidden "desktop.ini" file (See the screenshot) . Create a new folder and rename it "desktop" there. (See the screenshot - all names without quotes), After that, just copy some image files into the "desktop" folder. (all Images with native Windows Extensions e.g. : 1.jpg, Happy.bmp, Rose.png, House.jpg, 5.jpg etc in the new "desktop" folder).

4. Open "desktop.ini" file by using notepad (right click > Open with > select "Notepad" by default). You will face some existing code lines like this below ( just for example, the values may be different):

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
IconIndex=8

3. Copy these code lines here :

[ExtShellFolderViews]
{BE098140-A513-11D0-A3A4-00C04FD706EC}=
[{BE098140-A513-11D0-A3A4-00C04FD706EC}]
IconArea_Image=desktop\5.jpg

and paste it under the previous existing code lines (IMPORTANT : For System/Critical Folders such as My Documents, Shared Documents, My Musics, etc Please Do not ever totally rewrite/delete the previous existing code lines on desktop.ini or you will be in trouble, unless you have already made backup of original ones. To restore the original code lines, please also see the bottom page).

So, the result looks like this now :

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconIndex=8

[ExtShellFolderViews]
IconArea_Image=desktop\5.jpg

NOTE :

- The space is optional

- If the folder is not critical/system folders (such as My Documents, My Pictures, etc) you can delete the previous existing code lines/the up lines safely.

4. Change the value of "image name.image extension": 5.jpg to one/either of image files that you have copied to "Desktop" folder such as 1.jpg like this:

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconIndex=8

[ExtShellFolderViews]
IconArea_Image=desktop\1.jpg

5. OK, now refresh your main folder (right click > refresh). Now you can see the Folder background like desktop wallpaper (See the screenshot). Of course You can always hide the "desktop" folder later (right click > properties > general > hidden). And the desktop.ini is already hidden file by default, so you can restore the default setting (Step 1) later to make them all hidden.

Again, You can do the same with partition, and USB flash drive as well, with any image (as long as it's native Windows Image: bmp, jpeg, png, etc) extensions as you want! So simple, isn't it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TIPS : If you "damage" desktop.ini content file without any backup one for example : when you are customizing it mainly in some system folders such as My Document, My Pictures, Shared Documents, etc, you can repair it later by copying one of these original code lines below.

If the desktop.ini was deleted without any backup, to restore just create a new file by using Notepad and save it as "desktop.ini" (without quotes) or with .ini extension there. Then open and copy the original code lines. Dont forget to give it attribute as "hidden" file (Right Click > Properties > Hidden). Or you can also create it by giving the folder icon (Step 2), or more simply just copy it from another folder instead :P lol :P .

ORIGINAL CONTENT OF DESKTOP.INI FILES IN SOME SYSTEM FOLDERS (AS BACK-UP)

NOTE: The original code lines (desktop.ini) are from a Windows XP MCE 2005 system (i have checked, it seems so same with all Xp versions).

NOTE : %username%=see C:\Documents and Settings\username ->(your Xp account/user name)

My Documents

Owner=%username%
Personalized=5
PersonalizedName=My Documents

My Pictures

Owner=%username%
Personalized=39
PersonalizedName=My Pictures
[.ShellClassInfo]
InfoTip=@Shell32.dll,-12688
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\System32\mydocs.dll
IconIndex=-101

My Music

Owner=%username%
Personalized=13
PersonalizedName=My Music
[.ShellClassInfo]
InfoTip=@Shell32.dll,-12689
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll
IconIndex=-237

My Videos

[.ShellClassInfo]
InfoTip=@Shell32.dll,-12690
IconIndex=-238
[DeleteOnCopy]
Owner=#USER#
Personalized=14
PersonalizedName=My Videos

Favorites

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconIndex=-173
LocalizedResourceName=@shell32.dll,-12693

Shared Documents

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@shell32.dll,-21785

Shared Music

[.ShellClassInfo]
InfoTip=@Shell32.dll,-12689
IconIndex=-237
LocalizedResourceName=@shell32.dll,-28995

Shared Pictures

[.ShellClassInfo]
InfoTip=@Shell32.dll,-12688
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\mydocs.dll
IconIndex=-101
LocalizedResourceName=@shell32.dll,-28997

Shared Videos

[.ShellClassInfo]
InfoTip=@Shell32.dll,-12690
IconIndex=-238
LocalizedResourceName=@shell32.dll,-28996

Sample Pictures

[.ShellClassInfo]
BuyURL=SamplePictures

Sample Playlists

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe,-161

Sync Playlists

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe,-162

Application Data

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@shell32.dll,-21765

Start Menu

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@shell32.dll,-21786

Local Settings

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@shell32.dll,-21774

Recent

[.ShellClassInfo]
InfoTip=@Shell32.dll,-12692
IconIndex=-21
LocalizedResourceName=@shell32.dll,-12691

Fonts

[.ShellClassInfo]
UICLSID={BD84B380-8CA2-1069-AB1D-08000948F534}

History

[.ShellClassInfo]
UICLSID={7BD29E00-76C1-11CF-9DD0-00A0C9034933}
CLSID={FF393560-C2A7-11CF-BFF4-444553540000}

Temporary Internet Files

[.ShellClassInfo]

Cookies

[.ShellClassInfo]

Feeds Cache

[.ShellClassInfo]

Recycle Bin

[.ShellClassInfo]
CLSID={645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

Assembly

; ==++==
;
; Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
;
; ==--==
[.ShellClassInfo]
CLSID={1D2680C9-0E2A-469d-B787-065558BC7D43}
ConfirmFileOp=1
InfoTip=Contains application stability information.

Downloaded Program Files

[.ShellClassInfo]
CLSID={88C6C381-2E85-11d0-94DE-444553540000}

Offline Web Pages

[.ShellClassInfo]
CLSID={F5175861-2688-11d0-9C5E-00AA00A45957}

Tasks

[.ShellClassInfo]
CLSID={d6277990-4c6a-11cf-8d87-00aa0060f5bf}

Briefcase

[.ShellClassInfo]
CLSID={85BBD920-42A0-1069-A2E4-08002B30309D}
ConfirmFileOp=0

55329021.jpg

^ "Vistaized" Samples: You can also download some "Vistaized" samples of "webview" folder image background here for documents, music, videos, flash drives, etc (only 1 Mb - some high resolution pictures). If you want, you can just edit them later :

http://www.4shared.com/file/128623388/c83c5eb9/WebView_Folder_Background_Sample.html

Hopefully useful especially for every Xp user. Good luck! :)

Regards, Amirz

PS: More info about WebView + more features, hacks etc Here (Thanks to VirtualPlastic.net): http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/wv_main.html or just google it...

- Third Party Applications for Folder Background (to make life easier):

1. Lovely Folders -> Customize folders in Windows Explorer i.e icons and image background etc:

http://www.lovelysoft.com/lovelyfolders/screenshots.shtml

Screenshot of Lovely Folders (has Vista Style GUI):

screenshotoflovelyfolde.jpg

Download for free: Here

2. WindowPaper: A great application to customize folder background in Windows XP Explorer with any image. Freeware, get it for free here + info etc:

http://www.sodabush.com/windowpaper/index.php

3. Ave's Vista Folder Background (For Vista):

http://www.aveapps.com/folderbg.html

Or just google for more and free...

^ Btw lol some parts may have nothing to do with the main topic? Sorry just additional, anyhow hopefully they are still useful for you/us (sorry i was too lazy to create more threads hehe cya...)

===================================================================================

(New?) CHANGE HIBERNATE SCREEN IN WINDOWS XP:

Btw, added this one: If you want to change default XP Hibernate screen, just edit and compress 5th bitmap in ntoskrnl.exe file (in C:\Windows\System32) using 16 Colors by Photoshop (follow many tutorials for only Bootscreen like here), must be less than 8 Kb in size. Actually it's just smaller part (215x147 pixels) of the 640x480 whole hibernate screen background (Window Flag + "Windows" text) beside there's also a hibernate progress bar 2nd bitmap).

Well it changes that default Xp flag with new Vista flag on hibernate screen, yeah it's not perfect/sophisticated but still better than nothing before, at least it will look more "matching" with other Vista elements on your "modded" Xp:

bitmap5hibernate.png

(It's 16 colors, so it may look rather blurry...)

You can download that hibernate screen resources + little "guide/note" for XP (SP3) here:

http://www.4shared.com/file/128809524/109f54de/VistaXp_Boot__Hibernate_Screens.html

Do it carefully (always create backup of the original etc).

=========================================================

Special Added Here: VERY WORTH PLUG INS FOR WINDOWS XP FAX AND PICTURE VIEWER:

(Thanks to Raymond): Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is an image viewer that is a part of the Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 operating systems. It is based on GDI+ and is capable of viewing images format supported by GDI+: JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF (including animated GIFs), ICO, WMF, EMF and TIFF format files. it can still be improved to have more for 200+ image support such as *.msp, *.gem, *.cals and *.dpx. many etc by Installing imageXtender (very recommended): Download it here: http://www.imagextender.com/

=====================================================================

ANOTHER GUIDE: ONE GOOD EXAMPLE OF CUSTOMIZING/ENHANCING XP TO MAKE IT LOOK AND BEHAVE LIKE VISTA

(ALSO WINDOWS 7)

(In A Simplest/Minimalistic Way Without Being 100% Vista “Copycat” Lol)...

Important Note: You can always customize your Windows Xp less or more or as much as you want, that’s why it’s called “personal desktop” anyways. You’re not required to make it 100% look or behave like Vista, but still “enhance” it instead (Usability is still more important than eye candy anyways IMHO)…Some further tweaks maybe required as well.

You can also find/get some links for these items mainly from the main list above of course (“List of Most Vista/Windows 7 Applications and Features for Xp”) or just google them as usual etc.

PS: On Windows 7 Beta, even some Vista native applications (e.g Windows Meeting Space and PhotoGallery) have been removed (get the replacements from both Windows Live and Office Live).

Any effort to get them all is still relevant since Windows 7 is an enhanced version of Vista...

- DESKTOP/SHELL GUI:

Bootscreen: Just Standard Xp or another one with Tuneup Utilities (better than “empty”black Vista BS imo)

Logon Screen: One from Xpize with Tuneup Utilities

Themes/VS: VistaXp by KOL

Wallpapers: Original Vista Wals

Screensavers: Original Vista SS ported to Xp

Most Shell Icons: Get them from VTP 9 (selective install)

Vista Start Menu: Customize Xp Start Menu Without Vistart and Any Third Party: http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20450

ANIMATED GUI (DWM Emulation):

Shadow: Y’z Shadow

Transparency: Border Skin (optional, too bad transparency sucks on Xp, mainly with topdesk)

Animated Icon: Uber Icon (optional)

Animated window: Window FX

Flip3d: Topdesk and Vista Flip3d icon

Taskbar Thumbnail: Visual Tooltip

Transparent window and always on top: PowerMenu (optional)

WINDOWS EXPLORER FEATURES:

Explorer Breadcrumb Addressbar: Folder Pilot or QTTabbar or Minimalist Explorer Breadcrumb

Vista Favorite Links: FindeXer

Vista Live Icon/Thumbnail and Metadata: Get More Thumbnail and Metadata on Xp

Vista Viewer Pane and Search: Get Vista Explorer Preview Pane and Search on Xp

Vista Command Prompt on Context Menu: Command Prompt PowerToy

Vista New Window on Context Menu: Add New Window on Context Menu

ORIGINAL VISTA APPLICATIONS:

IE7: IE7 or IE8

WMP 11: WMP 11 with Vista WMP 11 Skin or Windows 7 WMP 12 Skin either

Windows PhotoGallery: Windows Live Photo Gallery

Windows Mail: Windows Live Mail

Windows Calendar: Windows Live Mail or/and MS Works Calendar

Windows Movie Maker: Windows Movie Maker with Vista Skin by fediaFedia

Windows DVD Maker: Microsoft PhotoStory 3 with Sonic DVD Burning Plug In or Better to get Sonic RecordNow with/without DVD Studio or Nero

Explorer DVD Burning: ISO powertoy and IMAPI V2

Windows Notepad, Paint, Calculator: Vista ones ported to Xp

Windows Defender: Windows Defender for Windows Xp

Windows Search: Windows Search 4.0 for Xp

Windows Sidebar: Windows Sidebar ported to Xp by Ricktendo

Windows Media Center: MCE 2005 or Windows Media Center for Xp with Vista Skin

Windows Meeting Space: Just Net Meeting or Microsoft SharedView

Tablet PC Applications:

Snipping Tool: Vista Snipping Tool ported to Xp

Sticky Notes: Sticky Notes ported to Xp

Windows Journal: Windows Journal ported to Xp

Windows Tablet PC Input Panel: Tablet PC Input Panel for Windows Xp

Windows Vista Games: Vista Games ported to Xp

DirectX10, .Net Framework 3.0, IMAPI V2 etc: They all have been ported to Windows Xp as well (read the list/google...)

Etc.

...Anyway good luck and cya...

Edited by AMIRZ

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...