KB953838

kiki burgh

hello! i would like to seek your advise on how to address the prompt of installing this particular update: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB953838) ... prior to reformat, this prompt was already present but despite automatically installing it via windows update or downloading the update separately and installing it by hand, the prompt always come back ... now i have already reformatted and let windows get the updates and this has once again come up (despite the same efforts) :unsure: ... both winupdateslist and add/remove programs show it already installed ... the only way to get rid of it is to just untick this particular update & to never show again ... any feedback will be greatly appreciated

appreciate the reply MrNxDmX ... yes, i've tried installing it manually ... i just want to share too that after i unchecked the prompt for install of KB953838, it now prompts me to install Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB950759) - MS08-031 which was supposed to have been superseded by KB953838 (... i'm thinking if this would be the trend, then the next prompt would be for an earlier update - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB947864) ... then so on ...) ... and yes, i integrated ie7 (via HFSLIP & i'd assume the process is the same if done via nLite) ... would if help, if i attach here my WindowsUpdate.txt? how could this be addressed? thanks in advance ;)

hi sir! i've only found 2 text files from c:\windows (KB950759-IE7 & KB947864-IE7) ... attached ...

btw, just as expected, after unticking prompt prompt for KB950759. prompt to install KB947864 came up (just like what happened when i unchecked prompt to install KB953838, prompt for KB950759 came up) ... :unsure:

thanks!

WINDOWS.7z

Hmm, as i understand from log files, the hotfixes dont install anything. They just run and make some unnecessary file backups.

Lets try this once mate.

First remove all those internet explorer 7 updates from your computer, including KB953838. Then install latest windows update software from here. And then, run the 953838 update with this command:

IE7-WindowsXP-KB953838-x86-ENU.exe /b:sp2qfe
Then restart your computer and check WU/MU again. And plase make a copy of 953838.log file from windows fodler, so we can know whats goin on ;)

Cheers

hi MrNxDmX! thanks for taking the time to look into this ... i followed your instructions ... installing though the stand-alone WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe did not push through as it said that my system has it already ... anyways proceeded with uninstalling all 1e7 related updates (via add/remove programs) and i got warning about dependencies to the specific hotfix/update i was about to uninstall ... that some applications/updates would be affected ... i just proceeded and restarted the system ... then i ran

IE7-WindowsXP-KB953838-x86-ENU.exe /b:sp2qfe
and restarted my system ... checked MU & it prompted for KB98127-v2 + latest roots certificate + defender update + windows search ... as of this writing, no update to install has prompted yet ... what do i do next? what about those cumulative updates that were uninstalled (KB938127-v2-IE7, KB947864-IE7, KB950759-IE7)? by the way, i have attached KB953838 log file ... thanks again!

KB953838_IE7.7z

Edited by kiki burgh

• 2 weeks later...

hello MrNxDmX!

i just wanted you hear your thoughts about what has already happened to my system after uninstalling all ie7 updates ... since re-installing KB938127-v2, it'd seem that no prompt has come up anymore (which is good) ... but what about those updates that were uninstalled (KB947864-IE7, KB950759-IE7), don't i need to reinstall these anymore? in add/remove programs (under Windows Internet Explorer 7 - Software Updates), only these 2 show up: Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB938127-v2) & Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB953838) - both installed the same day ...

part of my worry since was the warning about some apps/updates being affected with uninstalling the updates ... although i have not encountered any serious problem since ...

your feedback will be greatly appreciated :)

hi kiki, sorry for late reply. Those updates which you uninstalled are superseeded by KB953838. There is no need to install them if you have KB953838 on your system.

Only KB938127-v2 and KB953838 updates are needed for ie7, if you install them, there is nothing to install anymore ;)

I'm glad to hear that your problem has gone away, hope it wont happen again.

Cheers :)

thanks MrNxDmX! indeed i think my issue has been resolved by uninstalling all ie7 updates and let WU find updates to install for my system ... i just wonder how my issue came up to begin with ... did it have any conflict with earlier updates (that called for their removal)? sorry, just wanted to know the possible root cause of this ;) ... thanks again