Memory Usage Goes Up Gradually (Memory Leak)

raya2

Memory Usage Goes Up Gradually (Memory Leak)

When I starting the Windows (in the first few hours) everything is normal But after 1 day or 2 (sooner or later) the amount of available memory gradually goes down and the physical memory usage increasing. This increasing, continues until the memory usage reaches near the 88% and at that point , there isn't any memory available to operate any software . Also when memory reaches that point, I can't access any drive in the HDD; because everytime I want to open any folder, the following error appears :

c:\ is not accessible.

Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service

At this point, I even can't shutdown or restart Windows normally; I must restart windows manually by pressing the restart button. after restart, everything goes to normal again; but this problem appears again and again ... (I had to restart Windows every 1 or 2 days)

here is the screenshots of processes and performance tabs in the Task Manager (at 88% memory usage)

You can see that there is no software(application) that uses this amount of memory :

508161.jpg

154212.jpg

777083.jpg

786204.jpg

my system :

------------------------

Cpu : Intel P4 3.0GHz

Vga : nVidia 6600

MB : Gigabyte GA-8I915G Duo

PSU : Corsair 750W

RAM : 2GB DDR-400 Transcend

(I have these memories for 2 years)

Physical Memory: 2000 mb

Paging File: 2000 mb

Virtual Memory: 6000 mb

I already did the following actions but unfortunately none of them helped me :

0- using some optimizing and freeing softwares like (Memory Booster Gold - RAM Saver Pro - CleanMem)

1- Scanning my computer with antivirus and antispywares

2- Changing antivirus software

3- Updating windows with all updates available via Windows Update

4- Updating drivers of all hardwares

5- Downloading and installing the following hotfixes that are related to memory leak :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976658

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977357

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978042

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978155

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979223

6- Using CClenaer for clearing everything and using memtest86+ for finding any possible error in memory

And here is screenshot from Process Explore (from Sysinternals Suite) at 90% memory usage :

8885391.jpg

So is there anything that I can do to solve this problem ? any solution ? hotfixe ? trick ? suggestion ? anything ? ...

Hi there,

I had the same issue with Windows Vista Ultimate x64 and Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

I had 4GB of RAM and if my computer was on for the whole day, in the evening hours my memory usage was over 90%.

In my situation the problem was in Eset NOD32 Antivirus x64. When I've uninstalled NOD32 Antivirus, my issues were gone.

I see that you are using Avast antivirus. Try to uninstall Avast, just for a test and see what happens.

I would also try to uninstall TuneUp utilities.

If neither helps, try to use 'msconfig' to disable all non-Microsoft startup items and services and see if the problem persists.

Hi there,

I had the same issue with Windows Vista Ultimate x64 and Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

I had 4GB of RAM and if my computer was on for the whole day, in the evening hours my memory usage was over 90%.

In my situation the problem was in Eset NOD32 Antivirus x64. When I've uninstalled NOD32 Antivirus, my issues were gone.

I see that you are using Avast antivirus. Try to uninstall Avast, just for a test and see what happens.

I would also try to uninstall TuneUp utilities.

If neither helps, try to use 'msconfig' to disable all non-Microsoft startup items and services and see if the problem persists.

4 days ago I uninstalled Avast and installed another security software (Avira) , but the problem occured again

And about Tune Up utilities : I Installed this software 1 day ago but this problem started for me 2 weeks ago with no luck in solving it yet

maybe I'll try disabling other services

• 1 month later...

This is what perfmon is for - specifically, the memory counters listed under the Process section. In looking at your process explorer output screenshot it would seem to indicate Avast, but that could just be a red herring (working set isn't very high for any one process, and Virtual Size counts both committed and uncommitted (just reserved) memory allocations made by the process.

The only true way (short of uninstalling things and putting them back one at a time) to figure out memory leaks is to use perfmon and use the object counters under Process first to see which process you should be investigating, and what type of memory allocations it's using.