Question About AIO

upgrade

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post it but i couldn't think were to as its just a question.

Basically when creating an AIO disk for example 7 Ultimate x86 and x64, when you merge install.wim files they allways get merged to your x86 folder. So if you wanted to test something you'd then have to delete the x86 folder, re-extract from iso then do all your integration's and tweaks and whatever again just to test something.

Is the toolkit actually supposed to do that or isit a bug ? if its supposed to wouldn't it be simpler to ask you to choose a path to create a new folder and merge both the x86 and x64 folders into that folder leaving the two x86 and x64 folders you edited both untouched so you can add things to them if needed without going through the whole process again ?

Also i noticed a sources64 folder is created why is this ? cause when i have made aio disks before your toolkit i never needed that folder so howcum its needed now ?

P.S. im not complaining about anything im just simply curious.

Edited by upgrade

Thanks for info ill take a look now.

Also the best practice is to keep you untouched iso files on your drive and just extract new sources when needed.

Yeah i do this but when ive edited one already then lets say i wanted to test adding something else id have to extract original iso and start from scratch cause its mixed both in the x86 folder, taking almost 3 hours for each iso! in this case i only have to do x86 again though.

Edited by upgrade

No I dont mean the extraction of ISO

I mean when integrating stuff with win toolkit i allways like to keep up to date and i install evey update possible!

Ive got a i7 870 and 8gb of ram and it still takes me just under 3hrs or over 3hrs sometimes and that's even with real time priority set!

Now lets say i wanted to edit JUST the x86 ISO cause i forgot something well i cant now cause its mixed with the x64, I know you can delete it from WIM but then adding more things to x86 and re-adding x64 after is only gona cause some sort of error cause the files form x64 are still in the x86 folder then everything is all gonna get mixed up and i can just see and error happening and i dont wanna wait 3 hours for and error lol.

Edited by upgrade

so if i have an AIO u can select witch version edit it then go to the other edit that and its ok ? well i knew you could do this but i thought for some reason it would make the size bigger cause theve already bin merged then you rebuilding wim all the time ahhhhh my brain is thinking crazy now lol

I have merged my x86 and x64 into one ISO and then use that as my fresh, i barely ever touch the original individual x64 and x86 images.

Actualy according to my experiences you can use the integrator on a AIO and select JUST the 86 images or the 64 images and it works fine that way.

(I have doen this when customizing my aio)

Correct, you have select all x86 images and then on a second run select all the x64 images.

so if i have an AIO u can select witch version edit it then go to the other edit that and its ok ? well i knew you could do this but i thought for some reason it would make the size bigger cause theve already bin merged then you rebuilding wim all the time ahhhhh my brain is thinking crazy now lol

You can select more than one at a time rather than doing them individually (hold ctrl whilst selecting images), Win Toolkit will then cycle through all of your selected images doing the tasks you selected.

I also know this witch is why i cant answer why i thought the installation would be bigger i dunno what i was thinking lol

Win Toolkit will default rebuild the image after the integration process is completed to reduce the size and cleanup files. It doesn't do it after each mount but after all X amount of selected images have been processed.

Any other questions?

I have merged my x86 and x64 into one ISO and then use that as my fresh, i barely ever touch the original individual x64 and x86 images.

So u merged 2 original images and u use the aio for editing instead of touching the separate ones ?

You can select more than one at a time rather than doing them individually (hold ctrl whilst selecting images), Win Toolkit will then cycle through all of your selected images doing the tasks you selected.

Cool didnt know that but how would this work for x86 and x64 at same time though for example integrating the updates cause their different ?

the last thing is the sources64 folder before i used win toolkit u never had that folder in my aio howcu its there i mean whats its purpose ?

and y doesn't the x86 and x64 folder get merged into a location somewhere else like a new folder y does it merge into the x86 folder ?

I know that there are most probably valid reasons for it i just wonder cause i cant work it out.

Edited by upgrade

1. So u merged 2 original images and u use the aio for editing instead of touching the separate ones ?

2. Cool didnt know that but how would this work for x86 and x64 at same time though for example integrating the updates cause their different ?

3. the last thing is the sources64 folder before i used win toolkit u never had that folder in my aio howcu its there i mean whats its purpose ?

and

4. why doesn't the x86 and x64 folder get merged into a location somewhere else like a new folder y does it merge into the x86 folder ?

I know that there are most probably valid reasons for it i just wonder cause i cant work it out.

1. Yep, if i need to i just re-extract the Win7AIO ISO i made previously.

2. You can't, you have to do all x86 and then all x64 separately

3. You must have ticked the x64 recovery files option, it used so that you can use the x64 recovery tools. I don't really use the recovery tools. Also in Windows 8, the sourc64 folder is needed if you're using Win 8 x64 and want to manually install .NET Framework.

4. Saves a lot of time, besides it doesn't make much of a different because if you need an x86 only image then most users can just re-extract one.