WINDOWS 7 end of service 2020

Russell Wuertz

I have some Windows 7 computers, that turned out to not be the genuine build.   When I want to do the advanced option of

keeping my Windows 7, but installing a new genuine Windows 10, 1903 version, will this work out for me?   I would have to buy

the Windows 10 from Microsoft, and it costs big, $139.00.   What is (recommended) & (not recommended)?    A big decision to

keep what I have, or format fresh and install on a fresh hard drive.     

Well, it is certainly not recommended for you to pirate Windows. What you can do is:

1. Get a genuine Windows 7 key, deactivate Windows 7, activate it again using the genuine key.
  2. Install Windows 10, follow the instructions provided in this video: 
  3. Activate Windows 10 with that key, you should get a digital license.
  4. Boot into Windows 7 and see, I have no clue whether it will be deactivated or not. If a Windows 7 key is cheaper, use a Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10.
  5. If there are problems, contact Microsoft Customer Support.

Interesting video but it does not deal with the licensing issue when you dual boot W7 and W10.

I have read that, if you install W10 using your W7 key, your W7 will be deactivated 31 days later.

Edited by orcadian
Provide additional info.

15 hours ago, orcadian said:

Interesting video but it does not deal with the licensing issue when you dual boot W7 and W10.

I have read that, if you install W10 using your W7 key, your W7 will be deactivated 31 days later.

Where did you get that info? We have an active discussion about this topic here:

Hello Nik,

I have read this in several places. One is PC World, which says " If you upgraded your current PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10, your Windows 7 license expired 31 days after the upgrade ".  See https://www.pcworld.com/article/3050502/you-can-dual-boot-windows-7-with-windows-10-but-theres-a-catch.html.

Another  is  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/dual-boot-licensing-question/1a886559-b4b4-4553-9b1e-dbadbb7ecbb5, where Trekdozer says " No, you would need two licenses to dual boot two installs of Windows 7". (In my case, one of which has been upgraded to W10). WashHusky says "A separate partition is now classified as a separate computer.  Therefore, if you're worried about the installation for legal reasons ... you need to buy another copy."