Jump to content

No download | Require Microsoft Insider Account


Recommended Posts

Hello fellow forum members,

I hope you're all doing well. I recently encountered a bit of a roadblock while trying to download a Windows ISO file, and I thought I'd seek some guidance here. I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find a similar post in my search.

I was attempting to download a Windows ISO file using the Win ISO downloader tool, and to my surprise, it prompted me to log in with a Microsoft Windows Insider account. Now, I understand that the Windows Insider Program allows early access to Windows builds, but I'm not an Insider member, and I don't intend to become one at the moment.

My questions are as follows:

Is it now mandatory to have a Windows Insider account to download Windows ISO files?


Are there any workarounds or alternative tools that can provide Windows ISO files without this requirement?


If I decide to become a Windows Insider, what are the implications, and what should I be aware of?

 

The image is quite self explanatory.

 

spacer.png


I appreciate any insight, advice, or personal experiences you can share regarding this matter. It's important for me to have access to Windows ISO files for various purposes, and I want to ensure that I'm following the right steps.

Thank you all in advance for your assistance, and I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You shouldn't need an insider account to download public ISOs

Either you were trying to download an Insider ISO (which if someone or something screwed up, then you may have unknowingly been trying to download an Insider ISO), or something strange is going on

 

 

 

If you are trying to download a Windows 11 ISO, then you can either go to microsofts website or use Rufus (with the latter option, make sure to click Yes when it asks if you want to enable check for updates, as clicking No will disable the ISO download feature), note that with both of those options, only the latest version of the ISO will be avalable

With Windows 10 ISOs, you would have to change your browsers user agent string for direct ISO downloads to be offered by Microsofts Website, so i would suggest using Rufus for Windows 10 ISOs (and again, only the latest version will be avalable)

As of a few minuites ago, Rufus works fine with ISO downloads

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/3/2023 at 6:36 PM, Pineapple said:

You shouldn't need an insider account to download public ISOs

Either you were trying to download an Insider ISO (which if someone or something screwed up, then you may have unknowingly been trying to download an Insider ISO), or something strange is going on

 

 

 

If you are trying to download a Windows 11 ISO, then you can either go to microsofts website or use Rufus (with the latter option, make sure to click Yes when it asks if you want to enable check for updates, as clicking No will disable the ISO download feature), note that with both of those options, only the latest version of the ISO will be avalable

With Windows 10 ISOs, you would have to change your browsers user agent string for direct ISO downloads to be offered by Microsofts Website, so i would suggest using Rufus for Windows 10 ISOs (and again, only the latest version will be avalable)

As of a few minuites ago, Rufus works fine with ISO downloads

@Pineapple thanks for the response. I was not going to download any insider ISO. 
Actually its easy to get older versions of ISO from WIN iSO Downloader. 

However can you elaborate the user agent style part as you mentioned in your post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hrishav-Purkayastha said:

@Pineapple thanks for the response. I was not going to download any insider ISO. 
Actually its easy to get older versions of ISO from WIN iSO Downloader. 

However can you elaborate the user agent style part as you mentioned in your post.

The user agent is some information the browser sends to the website, which has information about the operating system, browser version, etc...

Microsofts website won't give you direct access to Windows 10 ISOs if it detects from the user agent that you are using a Windows PC, it will instead direct you to the media creation tool (which athough that can generate ISOs, these aren't the same as the ones you can download directly if you use a non Windows operating system

I would suggest using a browser extension, as it makes it easier, all you need to do is change it so that it reports that you are using a Mac (or Linux) computer, then it will give you access to the direct ISO downloads

When using Microsofts website, you will only be able to download the latest version of the ISO, and with the Rufus tool i mentioned (which is a tool for creating USB drives, but it also has an ISO download feature), older versions won't be able to be downloaded through it, as Microsoft have apparently either removed the older ISOs from their servers completly, or blocked access to them in some way

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for all the suggestions.

 

@surge as suggested, os.click is really good. However I have found a solution to the problem I reported.

It seems that Microsoft has made changes to the access for download links whereby it requires a login of a microsoft account with Insider Program registration.

So, I created a outlook id and registered it to the Microsoft Insider Program and after that Logged in with the same in the Win ISO Downloader. 

Boom  !!!! .... Its now working as expected.......

 

UPDATE: Checked with this method, Not Working Now

Edited by Hrishav-Purkayastha
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hrishav-Purkayastha said:

Thank you for all the suggestions.

 

@surge as suggested, os.click is really good. However I have found a solution to the problem I reported.

It seems that Microsoft has made changes to the access for download links whereby it requires a login of a microsoft account with Insider Program registration.

So, I created a outlook id and registered it to the Microsoft Insider Program and after that Logged in with the same in the Win ISO Downloader. 

Boom  !!!! .... Its now working as expected.......

This method doesn't work

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2023 at 11:06 PM, surge said:

Have you tried using https://os.click for downloading ISOs?

There's also https://uupdump.net which will build an ISO for you but it's a slightly longer/more complicated process.

I created an account just to thank you. This program is downright worthless, glad someone useful had alternate ways to download older isos

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...