digsby : im + email + social networking

ccl0

cant believe i found something before cro-man did :P

currently in beta

# One combined buddy list for all your AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, Google Talk, and Jabber Accounts.

# Manage multiple conversations with tabbed conversation windows.

# Manage your Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, AOL/AIM Mail, IMAP, and POP accounts right from digsby.

# Get popup notifications when new email arrives. Clicking a popup takes you right to the message with auto-login into webmail accounts.

# Stay up to date with everything happening on your Facebook or MySpace account (other network support coming soon).

# Receive alerts of events such as new friend requests, messages, group invites, etc.

plus a bunch of other crap that was too long to list http://www.digsby.com/features.php

what no one seems to be talking about is how Digsby uses a TON of memory. plus with messaging clients like Pidgin out there already, i dont really see the point of this...i added my gmail account to pidgin and the email notifications work just fine. and as for facebook, i have it setup so that i get an email notifications for that too. so again, pidgin has me covered there.

Digsby is an interesting concept, but for me its too close to being one of those dreaded "All-in-One" solutions that turn out to be more inefficient than convenient.

what no one seems to be talking about is how Digsby uses a TON of memory. plus with messaging clients like Pidgin out there already, i dont really see the point of this...i added my gmail account to pidgin and the email notifications work just fine. and as for facebook, i have it setup so that i get an email notifications for that too. so again, pidgin has me covered there.

Digsby is an interesting concept, but for me its too close to being one of those dreaded "All-in-One" solutions that turn out to be more inefficient than convenient.

well it is a beta afterall. as far as i know, no beta i've ever tried has been perfect. i actually liked the idea of it being an "All-in-One" solution so of course it wont be for everyone that dont want such things.

• 5 months later...

looks like there was a new release yesterday: http://blog.digsby.com/

The new Digsby is here! We just released Build 32 (r17926) which is the culmination of a massive effort to improve performance, improve connectivity, fix most of the remaining bugs, and add some new functionality to boot. Major changes in this release include:

* RAM Usage: We optimized from the ground up and fixed memory leaks to lower RAM usage by almost 75%. This has been the number one complaint since our launch and we are proud to introduce this massive improvement.

* Performance: User interface elements draw twice as fast for better performance. We have made changes to the architecture that will improve GUI responsiveness and CPU utilization across the board.

* Connectivity: Every IM protocol automatically tries multiple connection methods and ports to improve the odds of getting through restrictive firewalls and proxy servers.

* LinkedIn: Digsby now supports LinkedIn in addition to the other social networks. Functionality includes a full newsfeed, alerts when new messages arrive, and the ability to set status right from Digsby.

* Bug Fixes: We have fixed hundreds of bugs, making Digsby more stable than ever. There have been almost 3,000 revisions in our codebase since the last release so there are too many fixes to list in our changelog.