Unable to delete a folder

Hi guys! :)

One day I was sorting my 500gb external usb harddisk, I had reached my GFX section, and began to move pic's around. At some point, it said 'unable to delete, file not found blabla'. So I tried CHKDSK... Still nothing, I tried command promt... Still nothing... No matter what I try, it fails to delete the file (XP/VISTA/UBUNTU afair). It's insane if I need to reformat, so I was thinking that maybe you guys had a solution.

fmnjtf.jpg

I have this now:

E:\Graphix\Strange ****

E:\Graphix\Strange ****\January 2008

E:\Graphix\Strange ****\January 2008\Thumbs.db:encryptable

E:\Graphix\Strange ****\XCF

E:\Graphix\Strange ****\XCF\Thumbs.db:encryptable

ANY help is highly appreciated! :)

Have those folders ever been on an encrypted volume? It's complaining about a thumbs.db file with an encrypted alternate data stream. So, either they were on a volume that was encrypted, or they're potentially a candidate for scanning for malicious data. In any case, if you can boot into ubuntu with the ntfs-3g package, you will be able to delete it. However, due to the encrypted ADS, you will not be able to whack it from within Windows (and without ntfs-3g, probably not get it from ubuntu either).

@Cluberti, going to download and burn Ubuntu in a minute, :)

Btw: The encrypted Thumb files are 0-byte files.

@N1K

'Error: The object could not be deleted' - unlocker :(

Lol, and now another problem... In Vista x64, my SVCHOST.EXE (services) has begun to eat all my memory... It haven't done that before, it began to do it yesterday... after I installed PAINT.NET (Does it configure the framework under install?)

Edited by Mr.Thunderbird

You can use TASKLIST /SVC from the command line to narrow down which service in the svchost task is acting up.

Are you positive it isn't malware or maybe a virus infection?

I've just scanned it with NOD32 AV. 0 infections found.

Well, I'm on Vista, so I pressed GO TO Services, now there is around 10 Services highlighted.

OK; I did TASKLIST /SVC...

The SVCHOST.EXE which eats my resources has PID 336, so I looked at the tasklist I got from cmd.

I got:

SCVHOST.EXE 336 AudioEndpointbuilder, cscService, EMDmgmt, hidserv, Netman, PcaSvc, Sysmain, TabletInputDevice, tRKWKS,UXSMS, WDIsystemhost, wlansvc, WPDBusEnum, wudfsvc.

Edited by Mr.Thunderbird

I remember that Microsoft released patch for Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server operating systems where windows update followed by svchost.exe was guilty for high processor consumption.

But I haven't heard that this situation happened on Vista also :unsure:

Try with process explorer mate, see if you can digg something out with this application..

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

:unsure: Yeah!

Oh well... Going to reformat then. :) Just a bummer... Just reformatted 2 days ago, worked REALLY GOOD ( No lagg, no pause, no hangs, FULL Vista effects and stuff like that), but well now... It's trashed, even when using the classic theme it laggs and hangs a lot.. :(

Well, reformat and reinstall is sometimes quicker than spinning in circle to solve issues.. :)

:unsure: Yeah!

Oh well... Going to reformat then. :) Just a bummer... Just reformatted 2 days ago, worked REALLY GOOD ( No lagg, no pause, no hangs, FULL Vista effects and stuff like that), but well now... It's trashed, even when using the classic theme it laggs and hangs a lot.. :(

Nothing to thank me for mate, I'm sorry that I wasn't able to help.. Although, I've expected that Cluberti would be able to find the solution for this, he's a true expert for Microsoft technology..

Yes, that's true :)

Anyways, thanks a lot for your help and time N1K :)