Faster integration of updates?

wnuk

Hi,

as a title says, just a small hint regarding how W7T is running DISM (or pkgMgr) to integrate updates - from my experience it is much more faster to run DISM with multiple updates to work with (without starting DISM for every single update) included in command options, because DISM initialization can take a lot of time. And it looks like W7T is integrating every single update separately, so when number of updates is now more than 200, whole procedure can take ages to finish. I hope this is possible to implement in to W7T, and W7T is not doing whole integration in some twisted way that makes this impossible ;)

Hi,

as a title says, just a small hint regarding how W7T is running DISM (or pkgMgr) to integrate updates - from my experience it is much more faster to run DISM with multiple updates to work with (without starting DISM for every single update) included in command options, because DISM initialization can take a lot of time. And it looks like W7T is integrating every single update separately, so when number of updates is now more than 200, whole procedure can take ages to finish. I hope this is possible to implement in to W7T, and W7T is not doing whole integration in some twisted way that makes this impossible ;)

DISM only takes a while to start on the first update. Also if DISM has all the updates in one command then...

A ) I can't display it's progress i.e. 1 of 200

B ) If there is an error then the rest of the updates are skipped.

C ) If B happens then i can't tell which update it had the error on.

I can add an option for Quick Integration which will use your selected method, but that won't be the default setting. However please take in account of the 3 situations above (A, B and C).

Let me know what you think.

Edited by Legolash2o

An optional "quick integration" would be nice. About problems that you mentioned, DISM tool produce quite easy-to-parse output that can be redirected to W7T to determine integration progress or errors, and as i'm supposing, you probably already doing it in other cases of working with DISM.

• 1 month later...

I have just finished coding faster integration of LDR/QFE updates, Regarding what you said about the DISM output... I've never managed to get it to give output on-the-fly, so there is nothing i can do to increase speed of normal integration (without LDR/QFE) option.

If any user has previously used the QFE/LDR option in the past, from the next version it should be more than twice as fast :D