[Solved] windows setup cannot continue due to a damaged file

gersma

I've been using this wonderfull tool for a couple of days now and I was only able to compile a fully working windows setup dvd once.

And that one time it actually worked was my first testrun where I quickly tested out wintoolkit. I did some quick tweaks, some

updates and the merging of the x86 and the x64 dvd. It worked flawlessly !

Later on I dug deeper in wintoolkits possibilities, set more options, more tweaks and from that point on, every build resulted in a

windows setup termination with the following error message : "windows setup cannot continue due to a damaged file"

It was somekind of frustrating (we are talking 40+ builds), as it had worked once, and during the building process wintoolkit never

gave any errors or so.

Then after 4 days of trial and error I finally pinned down what option causes the above error. It was kinda tricky to track it down.

This is how you can reproduce the error :

- all in one integrator

- advanced tab

- tweaks tab

- misc

- change user folders location

If you try to change its value, say to d:\users, the tweak does not get applied in the registry hive of your mounted install wim.

When you look at the tweaks.ini file (you exported earlier for quick applying the tweaks) the location d:\users is there.

When you then load your tweaks preset, it does not show that perticular tweak. Strange I thought, maybe it can't

be a path, only a drive letter, so i put in d (no : or \ just "d") and gues what, it worked now.

That thweak now gets applied to the registry hive and when you save and reload tweaks.ini, that tweak is shown now.

"d" is probably not a good value so that causes the error in the windows setup afterwards.

In short the "change user folders location" tweak isn't working like it should and if one puts in a bad value, like I did,

it can cause the windows setup to terminate prematurely.

Not that it's a must have tweak or so, you may even let the option out if it can't be solved. I only thought it would be nice

that as of the first boot into windows, the user folders would be located automaticly on my second partition.

Now i have to move all 11 one by one to the d:\users\myname folder by changing their location in the properties tab of these folders.

(thats the only safe way I know for doing that)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by gersma

thanks for all your hard work and efford, it's probably best just to delete that tweak. I'm sure there's a way to do it via Unattended anyway :)

Again thank you, consider the tweak removed.

I was hoping that the tweak would remain. Can it be done via unattended? I'll follow the thred for updates. Thanks for all your awsome work lego. CHeeRS :prop:

Edited by dotfusion

Yes, it can be done via Unattended.xml and without any sideeffects.

Add following to the pass "oobeSystem"

<FolderLocations>
<ProfilesDirectory>D:\Users</ProfilesDirectory>
<ProgramData>D:\ProgramData</ProgramData>
</FolderLocations>

Also WinToolkit Unnatended creator supports this, so I believe it would be easier to create your XML with it.

Edited by Etz

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Etz both methods worked worked like a charm.

Yes, it can be done via Unattended.xml and without any sideeffects.

Add following to the pass "oobeSystem"

<FolderLocations>
<ProfilesDirectory>D:\Users</ProfilesDirectory>
<ProgramData>D:\ProgramData</ProgramData>
</FolderLocations>

Also WinToolkit Unnatended creator supports this, so I believe it would be easier to create your XML with it.

Edited by dotfusion