Span integrated Windows image over multiple DVD's without breaking Installers

yogurt

Windows Toolkit does not copy the apps folder over to the target drive like WPI. With Win Toolkit the Apps / Installers folder is executed from the install media. WPI can be made to copy the installer files over to the target drive prior to executing the installers. It would be nice if Windows Toolkit could do the same. This would allow for users to span their install.wim over multiple DVD's / CD's without breaking the integration of silent installs.

Windows Toolkit as of 1.4.0.77 has a component to split a WIM to span over multiple DVD's but with limitations. See what I mean?

Edited by dotfusion

What are you guys smoking?

WPI doesn't copy files over. It can be made to do so but that standard practice was dropped 8+ years ago.

It is much cleaner and faster to have the install files and scripts stay on the source.

There is only 1 file left on the drive directly from WPI and even that can be disabled (The log file)

WHO told you this drivel?

It's as you say Kel, WPI can be made to copy files over to the target system drive prior to executing. I have edited my post to be clear that WPI does not copy files to the system driver by default. Sorry for the confusion folks.

WPI doesn't copy files over. It can be made to do so but that standard practice was dropped 8+ years

It is much cleaner and faster to have the install files and scripts stay on the source.

There is only 1 file left on the drive directly from WPI and even that can be disabled (The log file)

WHO told you this drivel?

Edited by dotfusion

Actually thats the only reason why I prefer WinToolkit installer to WPI, less post-install clutter on SSD ;)

Let me clarify the WPI "Standard" use for you. The whole WPI folder resides at the root of your source. When WPI runs it only deposites a couple of txt files (Very small) during running and runs the scripts, installers and regfiles straight from the source. Then only the log file is left after a installation. With the click of a couple of options there would be nothing of WPI left after installation of the options carried in WPI.

WPI doesn't copy files over. It can be made to do so but that standard practice was dropped 8+ years ago.

Last time I actually used WPI was 8+ years ago, so sorry didnt know that fact... :shy:

I misinterpreted it from the first post that it still does it today.

Still I`m not a big fan of concept, that all installers get copied to destination drive before actual install happens...

Let me clarify the WPI "Standard" use for you. The whole WPI folder resides at the root of your source. When WPI runs it only deposites a couple of txt files (Very small) during running and runs the scripts, installers and regfiles straight from the source. Then only the log file is left after a installation. With the click of a couple of options there would be nothing of WPI left after installation of the options carried in WPI.

Thx for the clarification, will probably look to it again, because it definately is great option to do installations,

especially if you dont want to modify anything else in installation image.

Also it felt pretty flexible already back then...

Edited by Etz