Bug importing reg files

Section8

Just noticed with test 38 atleast the import reg file tweak option doesnt always work It will save some of my tweaks such as disabling port 135 or prevent wmp from sending guid but others dont seem to get applied such as changing program file locations I usually like to set it up on another partition and its best to apply while windows is being installed or else it will break application awarness for apps already installed such as wmp and buggs others like I installed some drivers that install on C without asking but they think there located on D lol anyhow just thought I'd bring that to your attention I have tested it in vm like 6 times and it failed but have no problem applying the .reg to a up and running system.

Are the registry settings modifying something in the "Local Machine" hive or the "Current User" hive. If the settings are modifying in the "Current User" hive, that at install is directed to the "Default User". It may be that those settings are not being carried over properly. If it is going to the "Local Machine" hive, then you possibly might have located a bug.

yes the program directory is local machine

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]

"CommonFilesDir"="D:\\Program Files\\Common Files"

"CommonFilesDir (x86)"="D:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files"

"CommonW6432Dir"="D:\\Program Files\\Common Files"

"ProgramFilesDir"="D:\\Program Files"

"ProgramFilesDir (x86)"="D:\\Program Files (x86)"

"ProgramFilesPath"=hex(2):25,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,\

00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,25,00,00,00

"ProgramW6432Dir"="D:\\Program Files"

I dont see it being carried over to any other hive just simply doesnt get applied havent looked at all my tweaks yet. This is just the most important to me anyhow since it has to be done at install so it was the first thing I noticed. The rest I can just import the .reg later on if need be. But ya I have tested it in vm and it still says everything is located on C figured maybe because its a vm so installed it on another rig that does have those drives with the proper letters and still everything is located and directed toward C. If nothing else it would be neat to have a option to switch your program files directory in tweaks like the public folder location tweak. I like to keep my windows partition as small as possible for backup and restore and I'm sure alot of people would agree with that or we wouldn't need a app to lite windows =)

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure about the "Common Files" directory, but I believe most of those directories can be specified from an autounattend.xml file. And that might be the only way that you can do it.

Actually only Users & ProgramData location can be specified via XML...

And its already implemented in WinToolkit unattended creator.

Edited by Etz