RAMDrive Users [Brainstorm]

Legolash2o

But some of the newer features of Win8 DISM, such as the ability to fully remove a package from the source and yet still have it able to be re-added post install, unfortunately do not work in Win7 AFAIK.  So I guess testing would be needed to make sure that using Win8 DISM to make a Win7 build do not create any unforeseen consequences.  Worst case, I guess it could be added so that Win8 DISM is used for Win8 builds and Win7 DISM is used for Win7 builds?

Cheers and Regards

No personal attack, but why are people asking this question ?

A average HDD read/writes about 100 MB/s.

A good SSD read/writes about 500 MB/s.

...and no one asks, if a SSD is faster than a HDD, but...

A average DDR3 (1600MHz) with 9-9-9-27 timings read/writes about 15000 MB/s

So why are there so many users asking, if a RAMDRIVE is faster than a SSD, or if it can make any sense using it ? :g:

Because just how many programs can actually use 20GB/s of a RAM Drive?  Nothing that WinToolkit does can even begin to approach those kind of speeds.  Most WinToolkit's operations are running at speeds less than 20MB/s.  The only operations that actually use a relatively high amount of bandwidth is the ISO creation, image building, mounting and saving tasks.  I'm doing an integration right now, and my Disk utilization peaks at 26%.  What worthwhile benefit would I get from going out, and Buying 32GB of RAM, and making a 24GB RAMDisk, and telling the Toolkit to use it?

It goes to show that a RAMDrive is not some kind of silver bullet that's suddenly going to make the Toolkit make Windows images in a few minutes instead of an hour.

The single biggest performance factor in relation to creating a Windows Image is actually disk access time, and random access time, not continuous disk bandwidth.

To put this in plain language, the biggest performance improvement to WinToolkit is to use a good SSD.  Yes you will get more performance from a VERY large (24GB) RAMDisk, but we are talking less than a 10% improvement for a fast computer with a good SSD.

Edited by Stimpy