Remove WoW64

fuentes

Hi everyone, this is my firt post in this great community.

My question is simple (or maybe not): It's possible to remove the WoW64 subsystem from Windows 7 x64 using Win Toolkit or any other tool? Google says to me that this is possible on Windows 2008 server, but nothing about Windows 7 x64. So: Anyone knows about this option?

Many thxs in advance.

And by "all of the 32bit programs" that includes 32bit versions of runtimes, browsers, etc that all exist and are required for normal operation even if you are running a 64bit version of an OS.  Definitely not a very good idea.

Cheers and Regards

yes, i know that all x86 programs rely on WoW64, but my idea is to completely remove the support of 32 bits programs under Windows 7. If all the programs that i need are x64: ¿Is possible to remove WoW64?

I say again: I don't need run 32 bits programs. I try to build a very specific distro of Windows 7 that only support x64 programs.

I understand your question, but I don't know if it is possible, or if it would then function without error.  I also do not know of any tool that is able to help you to do this.  In your Google searches that said that it is possible to do this on Windows 2008 Server, how did they say that it was done?  I guess you could try the same process on Windows 7, since it is very similar to 2008.  Let us know what you find out.

Cheers and Regards

You do realize that most 64 programs still rely on the 32bit subsystem?

I.E. Java, most browsers, most av's

This same issue came up when nlite started being able to remove the 16bit subsystem....

There are at best a dozen or so truly 64bit only programs (Ones that have NO 32bit files or dependencies.)